FAST platz in motion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

FAST platz in motion

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get faster platzes out of motion for the BH.

Freyja downs completely but she doesn't do it FAST. I want her to hit the ground without blinking.

I've tried positive methods, like teasing/playing with the tug, calling her to fuss, then asking her to platz in drive. Maybe I'm not doing it right but it doesn't seem to work very well.

My club suggested patting her between the shoulderblades when I give the command. Someone else suggested using a stick.

What method(s) have worked for you to get speed? Thanks!

<Insert witty sig>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: FAST platz in motion

Sometimes just doing basic puppy push-ups might work. Sit, down, stand and mix it up with rapid fire commands. Start off with random rewards for ANY fast command and then focus on AWESOME rewards for EVERY fast down, then back to mixing up the commands and rewarding various correct and FAST commands. Then add slowly add it to regular heeling etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

Does she do a fast down when you are NOT moving? If not - start there. Teach her to down FAST when just standing still.

This is what Claudia showed us.

You put the dog in a Down, by your side, then you step forward with one leg, immediately bring that leg back and reward (if the dog didn't move). Keep building this until you can briskly walk away from the dog while they are in a down without them moving.

Once you have a fast down with NO motion and a sold stay-in-a-down when you walk away, you can start combining the two.

Have the dog in the heel position, take a single step forward (with the dog heeling) then down and keep walking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

She will stay just fine, but her platz is not really fast in heel position, though she can be fast if I do the puppy pushups. Something doesn't seem to be translating... maybe try the puppy pushups in heel position?

<Insert witty sig>
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted By: NatShe will stay just fine, but her platz is not really fast in heel position, though she can be fast if I do the puppy pushups. Something doesn't seem to be translating... maybe try the puppy pushups in heel position?
Yes, I would try the puppy push-ups in the heel position with AWESOME rewards for quick responses. My guys can be a little "slower" when I am unclear to them what is expected. Unfortunately, they can be slow frequently. But at least now I know WHY and we can work through that too.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

For the reward, should I do an explosive release/play with the tug, or should I try going back to food? She's not super enthusiastic about treats (food rolls and such) but I might be able to get her interested in some chicken.

What I've tried most recently is this.

Play/tease, call her to fuss, platz. Reward if it's fast, if not just a verbal correction like "that's not it," release, tease, call to fuss, platz again. Only reward if it's fast.

<Insert witty sig>
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Knighted Member

Nat,
If you are going for the BH in a few weeks, I would not get too caught up working one exercise or you may end up with downs where you don't want them. It is just a BH, so, maybe think over what you are going to do and then work on it later. It is very easy to get caught up in one exercise you are not quite happy with when you have pre-trial nerves. Yes, the trial nerves start happening about a month out and this is where most people make all their big goofs and make something not so great into something really ugly or mess up the good stuff by working too hard on that one thing.

Seems you said she can be fast to down elsewhere which leads me to think she simply doesn't understand that she needs to be fast in motion as well. Maybe you progressed to quickly before she really understood it or maybe your cues and body language are totally different during the out of motion exercises vs what you do during "push ups". I always ask myself what "I" am doing that causes a problem, so, think about that part for a few minutes. I use a great deal of very subtle body language to cue my dog. Only the dog sees it but it is important you realize that what you are doing, the dog is watching. If you send mixed signals with your body language, you will get mixed results. Ask yourself what you are doing when she is fast.

I use anticipation to make speed. That's where you may ask your dog at first if they are ready and make your body more tense. When the dog is staring at you, say down sharply but not in a harsh tone. When I start the down in motion I give the command when my left foot hits the ground where I want the dog to down. It makes it easier for the dog, ( and also for you, especially in a trial ), when what you do is consistent, so think about that as well. IMO, they have to really know to go down fast before you add drive. If the dog has too much drive for the toy they get so focused on getting it they won't respond as quickly as you want. If you add drive before the dog really understands to down quickly, you may get a slow down as a result.

How would you use a stick to teach the down?

Anne

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The suggestion was to tap the shoulder with a stick instead of my hand, to avoid body movement (so she doesn't learn to read my body). I don't have the coordination to do it though and I'm just not a big fan of tapping/etc. as a correction anyway.

No one ever told me about the left foot thing so I will definitely work on that after the BH... you're right though, at this point I can't really do much for the BH, she'll pass with the down the way it is. I might get a little faster but it's not gonna be perfect. And if I obsess over the platz, she won't sit out of motion. I'll just leave well enough alone for now and just work on patterning.

I guess I should start thinking of all the stuff I want to fix for the 1, and the platz is #1 on the list because I'm gonna need that for the send out as well.

What you said about the drive is pretty much where I think I've been having issues... most people have suggested that I get her to platz fast while in drive, but either I'm doing it wrong or it's just too much stimulation for her.

I'm definitely nervous and I need to really study for the written too. But I'm excited at the same time.

<Insert witty sig>
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Nat,
If you are going for the BH in a few weeks, I would not get too caught up working one exercise or you may end up with downs where you don't want them. It is just a BH,
Exactly!

We often forget this..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Believe me, I know it's hard not to be nervous and excited, but
neither will serve you well. Calm deliberate consistent persistence
is called for, try to relax, like it's just you two playing in the park.

Visualize success, like suggested here, it helps.
<span style="color: #3333FF">Great BH write-up</span>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page