Guide for Newbie - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Guide for Newbie

I'll be getting my first GSD the middle of this month! I was curious if there was some material I could buy/read about schutzund that acted as a guide as far as what kind of training at different ages starting as pups and progressing. Also maybe a little detail about how to do the training excercises. I plan on getting involved with my local club but I want to do some research and on my own as well.

Thanks!

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

2 Rescue mutts: Josey and Dexter
New GSD Owner! Jakob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Elite Member

Re: Guide for Newbie

just do some internet research. talk to the trainer at your club and visit even though you dont have your pup so that you know what to expect when you walk in the doors for the first time with the new young'n. every pup/dog will progress at different rates depending on the temperment. just my experience, the more serious dogs seem to progress a lot faster than the less serious dogs.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Elite Member

I've just started reading Shelia Booth's book <u>Purely Positive Training: Companion to Competition</u>.

Click here for a link to the book -&gt; Dogwise

Certainly finding a local club and working with their training director is ideal, but if you're anything like me, you're hungry to read something too.

Like I said, I haven't read the book I am suggesting, but it was recommended to me by an experienced SchH trainer for whom I hold a great deal of respect.

Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Master Member

A few books I own and quite like:

1. SchH: Theory and Training Methods (Barwig & Hilliard)

2. Advanced SchH (Balabanov & Duet)

3. SchH Obedience: Training in Drive (Booth)

4. Training the Behavior: Tips, techniques, and theory for the working dog trainer (Patterson)

I'm also looking at ordering the other one posted here by Booth as well.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

I have 1 and 2 above. Num 3 looks interesting. I also like Gary Patterson's Tracking from the beginning. Great for beginners and exp. alike.

some people like the flinks dvd's, also ivan has now 3 dvds as wel.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Elite Member

Go out and watch at clubs now, before you get your pup. That was my mistake, I never went to watch at all the clubs in my area. Even if you think they are too far too attend, it's best to find out in advance how every club trains, so you know what your other options are if you decide to change clubs for whatever reason

I realized once I was a member of one club, it wouldn't be taken too kindly if I went to other clubs to observe/watch/participate etc. So, I never did and that was to the detriment of me and my own dog.

It's hard to know what is right and wrong if you are only taught one way, because of course that clubs way is the "only" right way.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM

has anyone seen "Building Drive and Focus"? I want to buy it but want to make sure its worth the dollars

Erin, Matilda's mom
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Erin, it's not bad if you can stay awake thru it.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SeriousConfusionI realized once I was a member of one club, it wouldn't be taken too kindly if I went to other clubs to observe/watch/participate etc. So, I never did and that was to the detriment of me and my own dog.
Now that's really kinda sad considering the clubs are typically few and far between. Here we have people who are members of dvg clubs, wda clubs, usa clubs and alot of train diff. fields, diff clubs, no biggie.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM

I read pattersons book. I read advanced sch. I liked "On Aggression" by Konrad Lorenz and "The Dogs Mind" by bruce fogle.

Mark

Krieger Nikko vom Barish IPO3 SchH3 BH FH GDT CGC

Uruk von Karthago BH

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page