Are squeaky toys a no-no? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Are squeaky toys a no-no?

I was told that you do not give squeaky toys to a SchH prospect pup because it will teach them to have a chewy bite.
Thoughts?

~Kaleef's Pepper Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Elite Member

Re: Are squeaky toys a no-no?

I just worry about the squeaker thing coming out of the toy and being swallowed. some toys have little objects that make noise. thats what i worry about unless you meant something else.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Grip is both genentic and developed through training. My guys love the Cuz toys and, no, the grips are not chewy on the sleeve.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Elite Member

Lisa,

Thanks for that clarification. I have long suspected it to be a combination of genes and proper training, but I still have that NAGGING doubt that I ruined Janka by giving her squeaky toys! She is very mouthy, but hits hard and fast initially.

I am at a loss how to fix it. I took advice from a Leerburg video, but no luck ... (

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

In dogs that are gentically chewy, maybe it does cause issues, but IMO I think it is more of a training issue.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Crowned Member

got two that love the cuz toy, one has a good calm grip and the other is a chewy twisting typewriter, I would say training and genetics

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Knighted Member

Funny you should post this. I had a discussion about this the other day. We have not started dumbells yet and that's where my concern is with the squeaky toys. Even toys that do not squeak are carried with him trying to squeak them. We will fix this with training but I think the training may be a bit harder because of the squeaky toys. We shall see. Chewing in protection is not an issue.

The German Shepherd's faults are faults of education not nature, for if someone worked with him he would be blissfully happy and most obedient of all dogs. - Max von Stephanitz
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

tyson was a type writer and he's never had a squeeky toy. there are ways to train to fix that kind of a habbit.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page