Question about Schutzhund.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Question about Schutzhund....

Ok I have a question for you guys.

I'm wanting to get involved in Schutzhund. My local Schutzhund club meets every Monday afternoon and I plan on being a part of it when I get my GSD.

Now here is the deal...I work full time and have a 3 year old little girl. I can work with my dog on Monday afternoon wth the Schutzhund club and on the weekends and do something with him/her after work during the week but because I have a family and little one, time can be hard to come by.

So my question is this, will that be enough to keep a working dog happy? Also what do you do for your dog during the week when you have to work all day? And what do you do when you're stuck in the house? Here in Houston it can rain every day for weeks sometimes so what do you do when stuff like that happens?

I just want to be prepared and make sure I'm not getting into something that's going to be "too much" because I can't spend hours every day of the week working with my dog.

I don't want an unhappy dog and I don't want the dog to make me unhappy.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question about Schutzhund....

Do you melt? Dogs don't. Rain is not a valid excuse for not getting out and working or exercising a dog.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where it can rain for 40 days and 40 nights and NEVER stop. Yet I STILL trained my dog OUTSIDE everyday.

As long as you can do SOMTHING with the dog everyday, you should be fine as long as you get one that is of sound mind. You should NOT have to spend several hours a day exercising or training a dog for it to be "happy".

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

I second Tracy- like postal service- rain, snow, sleet, wind, hail... (ok maybe not the last one) we are out walking and training. Maybe every so often the elements will shorten the walk, but we still go out (the other day it was 13 before the 35 mph wind windchill- that was not fun!)

We also play hide and seek in the house and do some training indoors, and a new bone or toy here and there. even just during commercials can add up! (and the dvr helps when you go a little long and you miss something, lol)

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM

I you can spend 20 minutes a day with your dog doing obedience and other light work, that should be enough for Schutzund. My dogs like spurts, 10 minutes here, 15 there, etc. and they are happy.

Pack leader for Heide, Chazz, Izabella, and Ivan.

At the Bridge: Chico and Atja
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Hi Brandon,

Some things to consider: SchH itself requires some time and not everyone has the time to commit. That is not a bad thing, just a reality for many people. As for the dogs, mental work is very important and tires out the dogs more quickly than physical work. Most of the issues I see at our club with dogs whose handlers work and have families is a lack of progress in obedience and tracking, injuries, and coming to the field unable to concentrate. I tell my members that they have to track and do obedience away from the club if they ever plan on making any progress and titling their dogs. I am not talking every day, but you had better plan on 1 hour at least 2- 3 times per week (away from the club) for tracking, obedience and conditioning. Obedience and play can be done in short spurts, but tracking does take some time (though you can usually do other things while your track ages). Something else to remember, these dogs are athletes and just like human athletes they need conditioning if they are going to be fit enough to stand up to the rigors of training. Injuries are far more common in dogs that lack conditioning. Things like rain, snow storms, cold, heat, too tired after work, etc are something you will have to deal with if you want to give any GSD, not just a working line GSD, sufficient physical and mental stimulation.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

If you get a working line for Schutzhund, just make sure you tell the breeder what you are looking for, and how much time you will have to work your dog. A good breeder who knows his or her puppies will be able to match you up with a dog that will be mellow enough to fit into your schedule. As a newbie to the sport who is just getting his feet wet, you want to stay away for the most intense, driviest pup, and go with a more mellow-middle-of-the-road pup that will be a good house dog and still have the correct drives to make Schutzhund fun and rewarding.

And LOL, Schutzhund people aren't afraid of rain! I too used to live in the Pacific Northwest, in Temperate RainForest Climate, on Vancouver Island - Tracy insn't exagerating about the 40 days and 40 nights. I only had a mixed breed therapy dog back then, but I still went out and walked and played fetch and went to the beach (in the rain!) with him everyday!

And the winters are cold and dark here where I now live, so I just bundle up and grab a good flashlight and we go out and play and train and use up excess energy. We are still training through the winter, and the only time we cancel is when the day-time temps are down to -30C or colder.

-20C, we train. Dogs are fine.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Great replies guys and thank you!

I don't mind the rain and what not...just never really thought about it I guess and just didnt know if it was common to train in the rain.

Training 1 hour at least 2- 3 times per week (away from the club) for tracking, obedience and conditioning isn't an issue.

Thanks for the information!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Brandon C

So my question is this, will that be enough to keep a working dog happy? Also what do you do for your dog during the week when you have to work all day? And what do you do when you're stuck in the house? Here in Houston it can rain every day for weeks sometimes so what do you do when stuff like that happens?
ill just say this, when you get your pup i would make sure that the dog isnt too high drive. the way you described your lifestyle i think a dog with too much drive may be a little overwhelming for you.

i also work everyday and sometimes 12 hour days. so my time is also limited as i have an 11 month old daughter also. fortunatly im not a single parent so i have the luxery of that.

we train twice a week, mondays and fridays. on days that we are not training i take him for long off-lead walks. saturdays and sundays we walk in the mornings when i wake up (around 8:00A). this is great for burning out some energy. also i like to mix up our walk with a little obediance to get some brain stimulation. not a whole lot of obediance but just a couple heal, sit, down commands.

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Knighted Member

Basically, your schedule is pretty much how I train. I do about 20-30 minutes with Freyja, plus I try to squeeze another 20-30 minute play session (she LOVES to fetch), which I also use for obedience. She's also been working out on the treadmill for conditioning and endurance.

On weekends we track at least one day, try to do both... that's where my progress is slow. When I have any breaks (like christmas break) I do a LOT more tracking. Frankly, it's tough to find tracking fields in Southern California... I do a lot of grass tracking by going to industrial parks that have grass lawns and what not, or I have to get up SUPER early and hit local parks before people get there with their pooches.

Still, as Lisa mentioned, your progress will end up being slower than if you had more time available.

<Insert witty sig>
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM
dOg
Elite Member

You might attend some sessions before you get a pup.

It would be good for you to take in all that you can, speak to other
members, get a feel for it. It will help you decide if it's something you
want to do, how drivey of a dog you want to get, how you might train it with SchH in mind,
versus training a pet. Without the distraction of your own pup yet, you can be a sponge and soak it up, mull it over.

You might visit a couple of clubs...nobody should discourage prudent preparation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page