Marshfield, MA dog needs 6 months qu - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Marshfield, MA dog needs 6 months qu

GSRNE recently received this call and unfortunately we don't have a way to help her. It is not your usual situation, to be sure, but I said I'd post it and see if anyone has the right circumstances to help this girl.

They still do not know much about this poor dog and under the circumstances, the town and the laws as well as funding is giving this girl a deadline to be PTS immediately. The dog is a white female GSD, they do not know her age.

A man brought her in on the 14h of October saying that he is homeless and the dog was up in Maine with his ex-wife and was tied outside. She was OBVIOUSLY bit by something and has a wound of an unknown origin. The dog has not been to the vet and is not UTD on rabies.

He was under the impression that the ACO could help him in finding her a home and vet care. Because of the laws, she had to immediately put this dog in isolation and due to funding from the town, only has to hold the dog for 10 days (though she's held on to the dog longer hoping it can be helped). She can't even get close to the dog right now as they still do not know if she has been exposed to rabies.

The dog "seems" to be very sweet, but they truly know nothing about her. They were putting the word out to rescues but realize that there is a huge exposure here and she can't just foster this dog out, as they dog would have to be put in 6 month isolation.

Sad situation that could have easily been avoided. Someone would have to have a kennel where the dog could be isolated, and also have their own rabies shot just in case.

If you can help, please let me know asap.
Thank you
Chris

Chris & the 6-pack
Akir, Yane, Amber, Belanna, Red & Simba
V Ylsa v. Fleisherheim, Sch 2 - My Firecracker - 7/4/94-11/1/08
Kelly GSRNE #102 March 1997-March 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Marshfield, MA dog needs 6 months qu

Why 6 months? I don't know enough about rabies. Hoping someone else will pop in. But I thought the 10 days would be enough for it to come out.

Did someone at Tuft's give that 6 months? Is rabies common in that area of MA? Is it a carrier thing?

Sorry! I am like a 3 year old. Why? Why? Why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

No...rabies can take 6 months to show up...which is why so long. Stupid owners!

Chris & the 6-pack
Akir, Yane, Amber, Belanna, Red & Simba
V Ylsa v. Fleisherheim, Sch 2 - My Firecracker - 7/4/94-11/1/08
Kelly GSRNE #102 March 1997-March 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

I looked up the laws in MA and 6 months is required. It might be a long shot but do you think someone could find this ex and see if by chance she has records of a rabies shot???? Just maybe what he said wasn't true, it might be worth a shot!!

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Crowned Member

Sad, I feel terrible for the dog. What kind of person ties a dog outside and doesn't vacinate it? I need a slapping smily here.

When Luther and Morgan killed their first skunk, they were both UTD on rabies, both had the shot within a year. They received a booster and my vet told me to quaranteen them at home for 3 months - also not to call A/C or they'd isolate them at the nasty shelter.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Master Member

What if she's had a rabies shot at some point in her life maybe a vet can titer her for it? And if it shows ok then...

Allie, LVT
Cowgirl to a barn full of critters and house full of farm dogs (or so they think)
Bella GSD
Eagle vom Kleinen Hain 3/8/2009

RIP Juno Feb 2007-July 2, 2009 Forever in my heart
BDBH Intake Coordinator
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not far from this shelter if anyone thinks they may be able to help him I can get some photos.
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I know its a long shot, but worth mentioning...I know they can't have contact with this boy but can they entise him to the gate and try to scan for a mircrochip? I know its a long shot, but we could get lucky and something might show up.

Rosa

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Hi Chris,
Do you have any contact info on the person that has this dog? I can't help but to think (or at least hope) that this dog has had its rabies shot. Do you know if there is any way to get ahold of her prior owner (the ex-wife that supposeably left the dog tied to a tree)? Who knows maybe the man made up the story as a way to get back at her??? Who knows??? Do we know what town the dog is from? If so, I'd be more than willing to do a massive email to all the vets in the area hoping that someone would recongnize (sp-its early) the dog. Donna mentioned she could get pics??? Thankfully there are less White GSDs than other colors so that might help. Also can we find out if there are any distinquishing marks on the dog-anything that might set her apart???
Thanks for any info you can give.

ps. Chris, you are over your pm limit

Rosa

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

bumping for info!!! I really would like to try to help this dog, if anyone has any info please let me know

Rosa

Mom to;
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page