Goldsboro, NC. YM needs out of boarding facility - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Master Member

Re: Goldsboro, NC. YM needs out of boarding facility

Wow! He's gorgeous!!

Shannon T
Dogs: Raleigh & Denver (Hwy Hounds, '02), Moose (Lab, '05), Ruth (GSD, '07) & Suma (GSD, '08)
Cats: Taylor ('99), Banjo ('00), Sydney ('01), River ('02), Oliver ('07) & Rosey ('09)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM

He is beautiful! Are they sure, he has just started? Was it a slow build up over time? Our rescue we adopted from VGSDR started this about 3-4 months after we adopted him. It took us a while but we figured out how to change his behavior, but he was and still is very dominant. Does Onyx do this just when someone gets there and then he will settle? .

Cat Page
Greensboro NC
foster for Noble Shep and Coastal GSD rescues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

His behavior appears to be completely different with us. No signs for the two months he was with us before adoption and no signs, other than the extreme focus. I wouldn't even really say he is dominant, at least not in our home.

Darcy E. Drons
Intake Coordinator/Shelter Liaison
<span style="color: red">Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue Inc. ("BDBH")</span>
Email:

(work in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Elite Member

My first dog - Stormy was similar. He was given to me by a "shady" type of girl (let's just say that) and she was the 2nd owner. He was a year old and I just fell in love with him... I also knew she wouldn't take that great care of him.

I did spoil him and probably somewhat babied him... which was wrong (as I learned later), because he was a dominant boy! Stormy was great for the first few months and he did the exact same thing... he would let no one in the house or car - just a few select people. If anyone had the slightest bit of fear... he knew and took full advantage of that. He was a biter too and nipped several of my soon to be ex-husband's friends. My ex was WAY too passive for Stormy's personality... I was the disciplinary. We had many arguments over this and if I had to choose... it would have been Stormy!

I brought Stormy to a couple of trainers...one recommended by my vet and this guy was afraid of him... he had his masters in psychology too. Then I was referred to a Schutzhund trainer and he basically told me that Stormy had somewhat weak nerves and I had to toughen up with him. So, all the reading I did and the 2nd trainers advice helped... but it never corrected him completely. I had to be very careful with him at all times and I still had major problems in the house. This was primarily around any entrance (mostly the front door). He was very good when he was away from the house... territorial thing.

I take quite a bit of the blame for some of his issues, because he was my first German Shepherd and I did many things wrong with him as I later learned, but also my ex wasn't consistent with what I was doing/training. I think it was also Stormy's temperament/personality too... it was a mix of us and a him. To me, he was the best dog and I still miss him terribly.

That's a pretty good sign that he hasn't changed in the 2 months you have had him. I think he's doing fine with you because you are experienced and taking the "leader/alpha" role. He probably just needs a strong leader and I'm sure there is a new family for him out there.

Tanja

Niko ~ Reinholt vom Mittelwest
Whiskey ~ Rescue Sweetie
Fluffy & Peeps ~ Kitties
RIP ~ Storm ~ My sweet boy ~ There will never be another like you!
RIP ~ Boo ~ My bold kitty
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Goldsboro, NC. YM needs out of boarding facil

Here is a picture of Onyx today, with his BDBH foster brother, Jed:

Darcy E. Drons
Email:

(work in progress)
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Crowned Member

What beautiful boys!
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Crowned Member

Aren't they? Jed went to his forever home tonight!

Last weekend we felt a lump in Onyx's throat. He had surgery on Wednesday to remove it. We are awaiting the biopsy results. Positive thoughts.

He bounced back quickly from the surgery!

Darcy E. Drons
Email:

(work in progress)
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe Onyx knew he needed a good nurse so he came back to you. Praying everything turns out good for Onyx.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Master Member

How in Onyx doing?

Di

Shadow - GSD
Apache - Bernese Mtn / Australian Shep X
and gone but NEVER forgotten:
Smokey Joe - GSD/Rott X
Jake - Westie-Poo
Mandy - Peke-a-Poo
Denae - Akita/Malamute/GSD
T.J - Great Pyranees
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Crowned Member

Onyx is doing well!! In fact, I just sent an update to our webmaster today.

We have had zero issues with any stranger aggression/protectiveness and he has been back with us for 2 months now.

He has been evaluated by our trusted trainer and she sees nothing but lots of energy, desire to please and work. We are thinking tracking may be a great job for him. He does have some OCD issues with cars/lights, oddly not when on leash, but while in the car with us and in the yard. We have been able to break his focus on such verbally, but we are hoping to work on this more.

We did find a lump on his throat recently, which we removed and was sent to Cornell. Thankfully, it was benign!!!

Thank you for checking back on him.

Darcy E. Drons
Email:

(work in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page