Gracie & Ruth - 2 GSDs from TN - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Gracie & Ruth - 2 GSDs from TN

Ok will try to clean out PMs.

Gracie did very well last night. No accidents and since she has not chewed on one thing or gotten into anything she is not suppose to, I am letting her have free roam of my sunroom instead of being crated. But she does like her crate and will go in on her own and sleep. She is just so cute.

All for now

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

So glad to hear an update on these two girls. What a sad story - now they are on to bigger and better things thanks to Shannon for pulling these two... especially knowing their medical issues. They sound like nice girls and hope they both recover quickly. Please keep us posted on their progress.

Tanja

Niko ~ Reinholt vom Mittelwest
Whiskey ~ Rescue Sweetie
Fluffy & Peeps ~ Kitties
RIP ~ Storm ~ My sweet boy ~ There will never be another like you!
RIP ~ Boo ~ My bold kitty
post #13 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Master Member

Hi everyone,
I'd like to thank you all for your support and prayers for Gracie & Ruth. I'd especially like to thank Jazy's Mom for all of her encouragement and advice, especially for helping board and care for Gracie at her home over the last week. I am happy to have found a new friend through this adventure, who is probably one of the most dedicated animal rescue advocates I've met in a long time. Thanks again, Jazy's Mom!!
I'm happy to report that both girls are doing very well. Gracie is still staying with Jazy's Mom and we are still working on a plan for her.
Ruth has been with me for almost a week now and she is growing stronger every day. What an amazing dog she is!! She has a super sweet disposition and my gang accepted her easily into my home (even the cats!) Ruth absolutely adores my cats and she is very easy with them. Ruth also has a fondness for stuffed babies. She has been getting into my other dog's gigantic toybox to pull out all the stuffed babies; she carefully licks them and carries them around the house. She places them in her crate, on the couches and in my bed. She often carries the babies to the couch for naptime and sleeps with them placed neatly around her. And when I clean up all the toys, she whines and takes them all back to their "beds". Maybe she was a young mother at some point? She definitely has a maternal instinct.
Ruth is also very good with children. Last week she participated in a therapy session with a 13 y/o foster child who has had a very severe history of physical and sexual abuse. The boy was able to use Ruth in his role-playing with the therapist and it was quite therapeutic for the boy. She has been invited back for the boy's therapy session tomorrow afternoon, and Ruth gladly accepted the invitation. She enjoys the attention and treats! Ruth isn't an official therapy dog, but she is a heroic survivor in the eyes of one little boy.
I will post some before and after pictures in a new post. You can also see all of Gracie and Ruth's pictures on my dog's myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/goodmoose (You will have to be logged in to see the picture albums.)
I'll be sure to post updates and I'm sure Jazy's Mom will too.
Thanks again,
Shannon T

Shannon T
Dogs: Raleigh & Denver (Hwy Hounds, '02), Moose (Lab, '05), Ruth (GSD, '07) & Suma (GSD, '08)
Cats: Taylor ('99), Banjo ('00), Sydney ('01), River ('02), Oliver ('07) & Rosey ('09)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Master Member

Gracie & Ruth:

Shelter pics (approx 5/15/07)

(Ruth)

(Gracie)

Day of Rescue (5/18/07)

(The drive back to Knoxville)

Walking around the vet's office, 3 days after rescue (5/21/07)

Walking at the vet's office, 4 days after rescue (5/22/07)

After leaving the vet (5/24/07)

(Ruth meets her new friend, Chris)

(We meet up with Jazy's Mom for a walk in the park)

Home with Ruth

(Ruth meets Moose)

(Uh oh, did you say "Bath"?)

(Having fun at the swimming hole!)

(Ruth & Shannon)

Shannon T
Dogs: Raleigh & Denver (Hwy Hounds, '02), Moose (Lab, '05), Ruth (GSD, '07) & Suma (GSD, '08)
Cats: Taylor ('99), Banjo ('00), Sydney ('01), River ('02), Oliver ('07) & Rosey ('09)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

How awesome!! thank you for posting the pictures, so glad to hear it is going well...

Proud Owner to

Stella 5 year old GSD/Collie
Echo 4.5 year old GSD/Rottie
Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Quinn 2 year old Yellow head parrot
post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Knighted Member

Thanks Shannon for posting the pictures. I love the one with her ears straight up (right above the bath picture). It is night and day compared to her shelter picture. She looks so much better already. Keep up the good work and I would love to see a picture of her with all her "babies". LOL

Gracie is doing well except that she still wants nothing to do with my dogs. She has a bit of a napolean complex. She is just trying to act all big and bad to make up for only having three legs. It is pretty funny to watch this little sweet girl turn into a barking monster at the site of another dog. I have been letting her sniff noses with Buddy (my foster that is very good with other dogs)and she has finally stopped barking at him long enough to sniff him back. I keep telling myself baby steps, baby steps.

I also talked with my vet about if we should remove the rest of her leg. The vet explained that if the leg is "dead" and if she is dragging the limb around then yes it should be removed, but if she still has control of the leg and does not seem to be in any pain then there is no point in putting her through surgery to remove it. I was glad to hear that she will not need surgery, but I would still like to get another opinion on this to make sure.

We are still looking for a rescue to help get the word out about this girl and find her a foster home (I can only keep her short term) or forever home. Shannon can correct me if I am wrong, I believe she is UTD on all her shots, but has not been spayed. She is healthy other than an ear infection. She is housebroken and kennel trained. She has not gotten into one thing that she is not suppose to and is very sweet and loving. She needs to be socialized with other dogs obviously and we have not tested her with cats and children.

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

Shannon, welcome to the board. Thank you so much for stepping up for Ruthie and Grace. They have truly touched a lot of people on this board and especially up north. Ruth is looking SO much HAPPIER and I love the photos with Moose. Keep up the good work and of course, we really love updates and pictures here, so keep them coming

Dogs leave pawprints on your heart . . clothes, car, floor, sofa, windows, guests . .
post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, Shannon, woman after my own heart with a day by day photo diary of their journey home. I'll be watching the thread for more pictures, love to see the transitions. Thanks for helping them.
post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Knighted Member

Hey Donna

Funny you say that, because I told Shannon about you and how you must walk around looking at the world through a camera lens. LOL

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04

post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Master Member

Hi everyone, just want to give an update on Ruth. She is doing terrific at my home. She is still on lots of medications for the bacterial skin infection but otherwise she seems to be feeling better. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here goes...

As you can see, Ruth still loves her stuffed babies and kitty cats.

Shannon T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page