Alma (aka Aza), pretty girl from Pittsboro, NC - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Re: Alma (aka Aza), pretty girl from Pittsboro, NC

OK, we are very pregnant, 7+ puppies...
I have to run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Knighted Member

That's great! I'm so glad it's that and not anything bad. You sure will have your hands full!

Lori

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kaspar-10 yr WGSD
Nixie-8 yr GSD
Ayden-9 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)
post #13 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 PM

Holy Moly!! Oh, Cila... I'm glad in a way that's why her belly is so saggy. I'll pass along to the vet that said she was not pregnant, that she was ah... wrong. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img] Please let me know if there is anything I can do. You're an angel. Give Ms. Alma a kiss for me. An estimate on the arrival date?

Carrie

Best Buddies Companion Rescue & Adoption

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pittsboro, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:16 PM

I believe that she came into the shelter on 1/26, and she was a little saggy then. She's 40 days since then, by my calculation, and 60 days is average gestation. Who knows how far along she was when she came in. My bet is about a week longer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]

Carrie

Pittsboro, NC
post #15 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

They said 2-3 weeks but I think less, otherwise she'll be dragging herself on the floor. We need the one week to fatten her up - the vet felt that she is way too thin for this many babies. The bad news is that she is also HW+. I am putting her on Heartgard for two months and we'll treat her after the babies are weaned. The HW tretment is toxic for the babies. I am just so happy we got her out this weekend - otherwise she may have ended up having the babies at the shelter. She still needs prayers sent her way.
post #16 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The good news is that the vet also thinks she is 6yrs tops. more likely 4-6yrs. She has no arthritis on the spine, eyes are clear etc. No way is she 8.
post #17 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:09 PM

Good to hear about her age. Sorry to hear about her HW status. Those horrible people. Used her for breeding and didn't even bother to give her preventive?? I'm wondering if these puppies may be fathered by her 4 year old son, with whom she was surrendered. Apparantly he wasn't the nicest of dogs and was euthanized. So, you may have some beautiful purbred GSD babies, albeit inbred.

It was fate that she got out when she did and found you, Cila.

Carrie

Pittsboro, NC
post #18 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

Cila, can you post a list of supplies that can help you out? I can put the list up at my school and have the kids donate if need be.

Mary
I got a dog for my husband. It was a good trade.

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
post #19 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

OK, Alma is tucked in for the night after the fourth meal of the day. I cannot believe that she has not had an accident in the house considering her size. She was very sweet at the vet's office today and distributed kisses. It is a relief that she is not sick. It just did not make sense - with a mass of that size in her abdomen she was doing too well and was too perky.

I am glad I cannot get my hands on the person who "owned", used, neglected and dumped her. There is a very special place in **** for people like that. Our little Alma has a good chance now and in four months we'll have the troubles behind us. She is so good and sweet that it will be easy to find her a good home.

Mary this is a great idea. I'll get the list ready. I am hosting a visitor from Europe at work tomorrow, so I'll put it together on Wednesday. Alma is so sweet that you could take her to the school to meet the children. A good time to learn about responsible dog ownership. She is a perfect example of the bad things that can happen.

I ordered two cases of special dog food that is made in a facilty in Baltimore (also used for the production of human food). It is a premade raw diet available frozen and this is the best I can think of (quite pricey too, but Alma needs it now). It has veggies and supplements added and it is highly digestable. One of our volunteers will be picking it up tomorrow at the packaging facility. This should get some weight on her.
post #20 of 508 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Knighted Member

Oh Cila, she does have such soulful eyes. I could never walk away from her. She is beautiful and I am glad you are taking care of her.

Shirley

Bo (GSD) 12/25/02
Jasmine (GSD) 2/20/03
Zena (GSD) 2/1/04

Uzzy (GSD) 11/25/03-8/1/07 My Angel Boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page