German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Rescue Stories & Where are they now? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-stories-where-they-now/)
-   -   Bravo The Drug Dog 2006 (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/rescue-stories-where-they-now/85877-bravo-drug-dog-2006-a.html)

kneely 01-07-2006 04:38 PM

Bravo The Drug Dog 2006

My heart is breaking to tell all of my big guy's fan club
that he has been diagnosed with DM. I'm going to do all I
can to make his quality of life as good as possible. Please
keep the brave, brave boy in your thoughts. It is never fair
for a dog to have an awful disease but poor Bravo deserves
better than this. He's already been through far more than
any living creature should be forced to go through...and now
this. Why can't he catch a break????? He's such a good boy.
Kerry

KristieM 01-07-2006 05:35 PM

Re: Bravo The Drug Dog 2006

Kerry,

I have had 2 DM dogs and while it is a hideous disease the *good* thing about DM is that is isn't painful for the dog -- Painful for the owner -- YES! Geno and Alex were on Dr. Clemmons program and both walked until the day they went back to God -- much longer than the vets thought they would.

I'm so sorry that Bravo has to go though this -- but he has you and that's all that matters to him -- I have a cart he can have if it will work for him. Just let me know and I will send it to you.

Keep up the good fight, Bravo!
Kristie

chjhu 01-07-2006 06:49 PM

Kerry, Jesse also has DM, but I have not seen much deterioration during the past year. She also has hip dysplasia and arthritis, but she is walking around better than when she came to me (probably because of the anti-inflammatories). The course of DM can be very slow in older dogs, apparently. She can still go up and down the stairs - in her wobbly way, but she is working on it. I did not see much influence of the Florida regimen, so I stopped giving it to her. Jesse is probably 2-3 yrs older than Bravo. You have to stay positive about it - for Bravo.
Please give hugs and kisses to Bravo from the crew here.

Rose Hutch 01-08-2006 10:15 PM

Oh Kerry,

I was so praying it was NOT DM, but I'm with Kristie on this, we both belonged to Marjorie and Vicki's DM board, we've been there, done that, and been through the pain. My first Gretchen had DM and so did Princess, it was a tough road to follow, but follow it I did, to the end. If you have any guestions, or just need to vent, pm us, we'll help you through this.

Give our big, brave Bravo lots of hugs and kisses from us, we're here for him whenever he or you need us.

Barb E 01-08-2006 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My heart is breaking to tell all of my big guy's fan club
that he has been diagnosed with DM. I'm going to do all I
can to make his quality of life as good as possible. Please
keep the brave, brave boy in your thoughts. It is never fair
for a dog to have an awful disease but poor Bravo deserves
better than this. He's already been through far more than
any living creature should be forced to go through...and now
this. Why can't he catch a break????? He's such a good boy.
Kerry

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry to hear this about Bravo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/02_frown.gif[/img]

agilegsds 01-09-2006 09:21 AM

I'm sorry to hear this Kerry. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/23_hug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/23_hug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/23_hug.gif[/img]

vjt555 01-09-2006 08:13 PM

He gets lots of prayers and good thoughts from me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/23_hug.gif[/img]

dogbyte 01-09-2006 10:17 PM

My prayers with you and Bravo. I'm also owned by a DM dog, Chance who is now 10 1/2 years old, and was diagnosed at the tender age of 4 years. Extra hugs for the old guy from me. CH

sheplover04 01-09-2006 11:59 PM

I have followed Bravo's story and hate to hear he is having more problems; he certainly deserves a break of some sort. I will pray for him. But, and I hate to sound stupid, but what is DM?

KristieM 01-10-2006 12:32 AM

Here is a site with information on Degenerative Myelopathy http://mzjf.com/course.html
Kristie