Hope, a dog who lives up to her name - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Hope, a dog who lives up to her name

A year an a half ago I got a foster from my mother's friend, a lab shepherd pit mix named Hope, and her 10 adorable puppies. Hope was very skittish, and could not stand to be crated, kenneled, or tied out, she even tried to chew her way out of a dog leash.

Hope's story begins in South Carolina, she was bought as a puppy from a 'back yard breeder' but the people who eventually turned her over to the rescue (after her first owners abandoned her) said the breeder was in fact a puppy mill that they had raided with the local animal control a year after Hope was purchased. Hope's first owners kept her locked in a crate most of her life, she was punished for messing the crate, but only allowed out of the crate a few hours a day. When she was 3 she was left behind when her owners moved. she was chained to a fence with only three feet of chain for space. She was bred by who knows how many stray males, and after being rescued by her owners neighbors, gave birth to eleven puppies. Sadly one of these puppies died of coxcydia (sorry not sure of spelling). She was placed in a shelter with six other black lab mixes named Hope (the shelter simply named every dog according to the day they were picked up). She came to us with a certificate of spay, but had not actually been spayed.

After arriving at my home with her ten 8 month old puppies, Hope was bred to my then four year old GSD husky mix Baldr, who is allergic to anesthesia and thus cannot be put under for neuter and I refuse to use an elastic band to do this, despite the vet's assurances it is safe. I wouldn't want to be done that way I wont do it to my dog. Hope gave birth to six beautiful puppies. Two whites, one that looks like a shepherd and one that looks like a lab, a brown that eventually looked like a classic shepherd, and three blacks. They all found loving homes and hope was soon on the books for a spay. The vet said she would go into heat in March of 2015. She went into heat in January while I was away for work, and my dog sitter was only there four times a day to feed and walk the dogs. On March 7 at 4 PM she went into labor a full two weeks after her spay appointment, and while I feel awful that she had two litters that close together, she gave birth to 7 incredible puppies. The first two were runts, twin boy and girl named Hoshi and Chevy, they were classic shepherds, and Hoshi is now an ESA for an older woman with Lupus and other health issues. Chevy is going to have a two legged baby sibling soon. The other puppies consisted of one black lab with silver toes, two white labby shepherd twin girls, and born at exactly 7PM on March 7th, the 7th and final puppy of the litter, was daddy's little doppelganger, Seven, who is my mother's ESA, and even protects the goats at my mother's home.

Hope was fixed while still with milk when the puppies were 8 weeks old and weaned. We found a vet willing to do the surgery at this point rather than wait like our original vet wanted. Hope is now fixed, but despite this she has not found a home away from me. we tried six times to find her a good home, and six times she was returned to us, several pounds lighter and covered in her own leavings because she would hide in closets and not leave them to eat or go potty. Every time she came back she would climb all over me in her desperate dash for Badlr. The two are so deeply bonded that Hope is not willing to live away from him. They sleep together, play together, and even eat together. Baldr is still not fixed, in fact I intend to find a good GSD female to breed him with one more time, as his puppies are not only amazing to see, but amazing in temperament and personality. One of Baldr and Hope's pups is Rosie, the white girl from the first litter. She is the furkid of a professional photographer, who uses her to calm children and make them sit still for pictures. Seven is amazing in his own way, he is 8 months old now, and even though he can jump out of my mother's dog yard he never goes anywhere, just goes to his favorite spot and lays in the sun. When its time for a car ride he jumps in and climbs in the back.

As for Hope, she loves to see her son, and makes of him every time he comes to visit. The truly amazing thing, I think, about Hope and Baldr is that they both raised their puppies together, while Hope nursed them, Baldr would clean them, and keep them warm while Hope was eating or just taking a break. Many people tell me it is not safe to leave a male dog with puppies, these people have obviously never had a GSD before. Most of the GSD breeders I have contacted all tell me that they make great fathers.

So Hope's Rescue was a rocky one, some unplanned things happened, but I am a firm believer in the fact that things happen for a reason. Not everything is planned out I suppose, but things like Seven and his Siblings? That shows me that there is such a thing as Divine intervention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, what a beautiful story, I didn't want it to end! I pray that Hope remains a part of your family for the rest of her life, she sounds like she could do with some good luck! Please post pictures of Hope, her hubby Baldr, and her children..I would love to see them.

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

*** Oversized Pic removed by ADMIN ***

These are pictures taken six months after Baldr's final surgery. the black dog with him is his older sister, Luna Fumo, which is Italian for Moon Smoke She was 5 in this photo, it is two years old Baldr was just about three. The small dog in the background of the second picture is my mom's Doxy Pom, Bandit, who is now 14. Feel free to browse the pictures on that Photo bucket account, it is one I shared with my ex girlfriend, when she was living with me, many of the animals are rescues, including the rats and the rabbits, and the red doxy is Spike, my mom's first ever purebred dog (he was free because he was born with a herniated rectum, my mom got it surgically corrected when he was old enough) The white Pomeranian with the massive scar is Xena, a rescue from a hoarder/puppy mill here in Maine, she was caged with a 15 pound poodle who ripped into her. Xena weighed only 3 pounds, 5 fully pregnant. She passed two years ago at the age of nine. Her last two years were very happy though, it took a year for her to run in circles bigger than 2' in diameter, but she never stopped running in circles, always in circles.

The brown puppy that looks like a GSD is Luna's Brother from the same litter. I almost got him too, but he was picked out before I got enough money to get him.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 11-30-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Max pic size allowed 800 X 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

Baldr is very handsome! No photo's of Hope?

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Knighted Member

Great story. I hope she will be happy the rest of her life.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Wait a minute...

So you "fostered" a mixed breed rescue and then bred her to your mixed breed male? Twice?

And you plan on getting a purebred GSD to breed to your mix male?

That is not divine intervention. That is unethical "rescue" and irresponsible pet ownership. Sorry, this does not deserve any kudos.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Wait a minute...

So you "fostered" a mixed breed rescue and then bred her to your mixed breed male? Twice?

That is not divine intervention. That is unethical "rescue" and irresponsible pet ownership. Sorry, this does not deserve any kudos.
And I thought it was just me seeing all this as crazy.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Wait a minute...

agree.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:26 AM
Crowned Member

^ except, in the other thread he's a "pure bred working American line".... the OP is taking you guys for a ride!

I know it's cold out but man, are people really this bored!?!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
^ except, in the other thread he's a "pure bred working American line".... the OP is taking you guys for a ride!

I know it's cold out but man, are people really this bored!?!
Nah, we're reading the same stories you are.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page