Goodbye to my sweet old foster dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Goodbye to my sweet old foster dog

I got this email from a lady who adopted a young (less than a year old) Black Lab that I rescued from a pound 15 years ago. She was fearful of people and extremely emaciated, full of milk (no pups to be found...), having mastitis and pymetra. She barely made it but she made a full recovery, physically and mentally. She went to a great home and once in a while I saw her and we were always so happy then. It was a bond for life that rescue.
Today I go this email. I know she was not doing very well but it was still so hard to read. I had her only for a few months but she stayed in my heart. She had the best life possible and made many people happy. This made me so thankful for all the foster dogs I have saved and found homes for. I am sure all you who foster can agree with this.

"Dear xxxx,
It has been a very difficult time. I know how much you loved her. Nina was one of those special dogs that reach in and touch your heart. I had truly hoped that you would get to see her one last time. But she had a very difficult night Thursday and by Friday morning she couldn't stand or walk. It was clear that her time had come. Even though we had her with us for 14 years, the time still feels too short, but she will live forever in our hearts. She taught me so many things and I will never forget those beautiful soulful brown eyes.
I want to thank you for saving her life so that we could share our life with her. My heart is broken, but I hope she is at peace and knows how very much she was loved.
With gratitude and love,"

Then I look at Deja who never knew any misery in her life and who is healthy and full of spunk. I am so grateful to share my life with dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss! For the first time I'm going to open my house to fostering rescue canines; a wonderful gentleman has opened up 'Saint and Shepherds Sanctuary: A Working Dog Rescue' here in Talkeetna (AK). I've never fostered four legged companions previously so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Qanuk - my 3.5 year old male GSD and Anana - my 6 year old Alaskan Malamute - both enjoy other canines and Qanuk is a ball of playful energy. Having previously taken canines from breeders I decided it was now time to give back in the form of fostering. I could easily see a special canine being added to our pack...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were there to save her and that she spent many years in a great home (and it's always nice that you got to see her over her lifetime). It doesn't seem to matter how they come into our lives, we're never the same after that.

Mom to Remi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I got this email from a lady who adopted a young (less than a year old) Black Lab that I rescued from a pound 15 years ago. She was fearful of people and extremely emaciated, full of milk (no pups to be found...), having mastitis and pymetra. She barely made it but she made a full recovery, physically and mentally. She went to a great home and once in a while I saw her and we were always so happy then. It was a bond for life that rescue.
Today I go this email. I know she was not doing very well but it was still so hard to read. I had her only for a few months but she stayed in my heart. She had the best life possible and made many people happy. This made me so thankful for all the foster dogs I have saved and found homes for. I am sure all you who foster can agree with this.

"Dear xxxx,
It has been a very difficult time. I know how much you loved her. Nina was one of those special dogs that reach in and touch your heart. I had truly hoped that you would get to see her one last time. But she had a very difficult night Thursday and by Friday morning she couldn't stand or walk. It was clear that her time had come. Even though we had her with us for 14 years, the time still feels too short, but she will live forever in our hearts. She taught me so many things and I will never forget those beautiful soulful brown eyes.
I want to thank you for saving her life so that we could share our life with her. My heart is broken, but I hope she is at peace and knows how very much she was loved.
With gratitude and love,"

Then I look at Deja who never knew any misery in her life and who is healthy and full of spunk. I am so grateful to share my life with dogs.
It is so sad to hear this, but at the same time, warms my heart to know she found such an amazing home to live out her life! So many end up worse off, and shuffled from house to house, it's great to hear a success story of a rescue living out a long a healthy life. My heart certainly goes out to both of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page