Goodbye to my sweet old foster dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Goodbye to my sweet old foster dog

I got this email from a lady who adopted a young (less than a year old) Black Lab that I rescued from a pound 15 years ago. She was fearful of people and extremely emaciated, full of milk (no pups to be found...), having mastitis and pymetra. She barely made it but she made a full recovery, physically and mentally. She went to a great home and once in a while I saw her and we were always so happy then. It was a bond for life that rescue.
Today I go this email. I know she was not doing very well but it was still so hard to read. I had her only for a few months but she stayed in my heart. She had the best life possible and made many people happy. This made me so thankful for all the foster dogs I have saved and found homes for. I am sure all you who foster can agree with this.

"Dear xxxx,
It has been a very difficult time. I know how much you loved her. Nina was one of those special dogs that reach in and touch your heart. I had truly hoped that you would get to see her one last time. But she had a very difficult night Thursday and by Friday morning she couldn't stand or walk. It was clear that her time had come. Even though we had her with us for 14 years, the time still feels too short, but she will live forever in our hearts. She taught me so many things and I will never forget those beautiful soulful brown eyes.
I want to thank you for saving her life so that we could share our life with her. My heart is broken, but I hope she is at peace and knows how very much she was loved.
With gratitude and love,"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

Wolfy, it was a wonderful thing you did for Nina. You found her what appears to be a home where she was truly loved and will always be cherished. So sorry for your loss. Deb

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:39 PM
KMH

I'm sorry she's gone. But you know, you did a great job with her and helped her find an awesome home. That's more than most dogs get, whether they're pedigreed or strays. She lived a good life and you were a part of that. Hugs!

Kristi
K9 Owen Vom Hall Haus CGC, CD, Search & Rescue
K9 Sidney Vom Hall Haus
K9 Dani Vom Hall Haus
K9 Sophie
K9 Penney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:45 PM

I am sorry for your loss. It was good that you saved her and gave her a chance at a better life. I am glad you had a chance to witness her growing and happy in a forever home, that is the goal of any foster parent!

Mom to Remi
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 09:45 PM

Bless you for saving this sweet dog and giving her a chance at such a wonderful life.

Hundeliebhaber
Dedicated to Rescue
Pack:
Rudy 3 YO BLKnTan Melanistic GSD
Paige 1.5 YO Old BLK Malinois
Lola 7 YO JRT
Luna 4 YO Sable WLGSD
Bella 7 YO BLK Slver GSD RIP (Bloat)
Reggie and Ty at the bridge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My hubby and were just talking about this this evening. That dog touched so many people and if I had not taken her home that day ( I basically took her home to die with love instead of in a shelter but didn't expect her to make it) she would have been just a number on the euthanized pet list for that month and nobody would have known what an awesome dog she could have been. She was one of the few lucky ones at that time as the euthanasia rate was horrendous.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

Wolfydog Im so sorry for the loss of your sweet Nina. Your actions allowed her to have a life full of love hope and belonging. I believe she watches you and her furever family from where she is youung and strong .Take care and my condolences to the rest of her family. Thank you for fostering.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page