Rescued A Pup Who Was thrown out of Truck - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayana View Post
have him stop trying to hunt the counters for food.lol
with a broken clavicle? Maybe you give him too many pain meds ?
I would try to prevent him from re-injuring himself that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
with a broken clavicle? Maybe you give him too many pain meds ?
I would try to prevent him from re-injuring himself that way.
Well I followed the direction's one pill every 6-8 hours . At first it seem needed but maybe you are right. His acting like his not in any pain except when he tries to paw at something with his left front paw then he gives a slight whine . Might be time to start taking down the doses.lol The ER vet said to use all of it tho as directed .

RIP Mamiduke
Doberman
April 3rd 1987 - July 10th 2003

RIP Missy Reign's
American Pitbull terrier
Feb 2nd 2004 - Aug 1st 2009
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

Is it broken or cracked? You might need to keep him on a leash so he's not overdoing it and crated when you can't have him leashed. I would think he needs strict crate rest for the next 4-6 weeks to have that bone heal properly. That's what the ortho had us do for a broken leg.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Is it broken or cracked? You might need to keep him on a leash so he's not overdoing it and crated when you can't have him leashed. I would think he needs strict crate rest for the next 4-6 weeks to have that bone heal properly. That's what the ortho had us do for a broken leg.
The vet said broken but I got to looking at all the paper work last night and on the recite its labeled "clavicular fracture" . So now I don't know if it is broke or simply fractured . I do however know my Normal vet will tell me more tomorrow, Thankfully our local vet is one to move appointments round to get you in . That ER vet was a real piece of work. They made us put down a 450$ deposit before even letting us in the front door with Reno. The whole time the snotty attitude of " I'm really doing you a favor here" about choked me out. The first two days he limped really bad on it and whined alot . But Starting yesterday morning the limping is barely visible and now he only whines if you poke it or if he lifts it up to high.

RIP Mamiduke
Doberman
April 3rd 1987 - July 10th 2003

RIP Missy Reign's
American Pitbull terrier
Feb 2nd 2004 - Aug 1st 2009
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

I would keep him crated or leashed. It takes 6 weeks for a bone to heal.

ER vets have to get paid and run their hospital so the deposit doesn't surprise me. The attitude does though.

post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
The vet said broken but I got to looking at all the paper work last night and on the recite its labeled "clavicular fracture" . So now I don't know if it is broke or simply fractured . I do however know my Normal vet will tell me more tomorrow, Thankfully our local vet is one to move appointments round to get you in . That ER vet was a real piece of work. They made us put down a 450$ deposit before even letting us in the front door with Reno. The whole time the snotty attitude of " I'm really doing you a favor here" about choked me out. The first two days he limped really bad on it and whined alot . But Starting yesterday morning the limping is barely visible and now he only whines if you poke it or if he lifts it up to high.
I'm sorry to hear that those vets acted that way. The night sailor died, I carried him into the emergency hospital, and the front desk guy was too busy flirting to help me in a timely manner. I spoke up and he was like "I'm with a customer right NOW, when I'm done WITH her I'll let you know" and then I stared at him and he realized I could hear his conversation and that his conversation was not important, so then he ended up going to get the vet. That made me so angry but he was lucky I had other things in my mind. The emergency vets are good to have around but sometimes the front desk staff are unprofessional.
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
I'm sorry to hear that those vets acted that way. The night sailor died, I carried him into the emergency hospital, and the front desk guy was too busy flirting to help me in a timely manner. I spoke up and he was like "I'm with a customer right NOW, when I'm done WITH her I'll let you know" and then I stared at him and he realized I could hear his conversation and that his conversation was not important, so then he ended up going to get the vet. That made me so angry but he was lucky I had other things in my mind. The emergency vets are good to have around but sometimes the front desk staff are unprofessional.
I've had two really BAD BAD experiences with emergency vet clinics, with death as the result in both cases, and, yes, they charged a verifiable THREE TIMES more than my vet's office. Never again. I found a very good vet who does her own emergencies.

Susan
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
A fracture IS a break. We often time use layman's terms like "broken leg" when it truly is some type of fracture in medical terms.

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
I've had two really BAD BAD experiences with emergency vet clinics, with death as the result in both cases, and, yes, they charged a verifiable THREE TIMES more than my vet's office. Never again. I found a very good vet who does her own emergencies.

Susan
I'm sorry to hear that. Very unfortunate. I will,never allow myself to be in that position again where I am forced to go to the first 24 hour vet I can find. If they are nice you get lucky. If they are rude, or overpriced, you have to deal with it. :-/
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Knighted Member

The clavicle is a small bone, no way to really wrap or support it and no major need to for a minor fracture. Withholding pain meds to keep animals from further injuring themselves is an outdated thought process that luckily most vets no longer follow. Keeping a dog immobile by making it too painful to walk isn't really the shining picture of "humane" care, IMHO.

Owners need to confine animals with fractures and other limb injuries, through the use of crates and leashes and even mild oral sedatives if need be, there are many like trazadone and acepromazine that are commonly used and safe.

At my full time job, we provide estimates but only require deposits if owners leave the animals, which is the low end of the estimate. I work in a very well off area where people almost always pay their bills so it's not a huge concern.

My part time job, however, is an emergency clinic in a poorer area where people DON'T have money and commonly DON'T pay their bills. You have plenty of people that tell you to do everything during an emergency, but then when you give them the bill they suddenly don't have the money.

There we require a 500$ deposit before starting work on any emergency, outside of critical CPRs that we need to start on right away.

It's not about acting "better than you". But it IS about making sure we get paid. I guarantee no one else on here likes to work for free. I sure dont. And my doctor has a quarter of a MILLION dollars in student loan debts from vet school, so people can pay 500$ when their animal needs it, I feel like, if they truly have the money to afford the care.

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz

Last edited by Anubis_Star; 03-05-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page