Midnite is one of those dogs.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unhappy Midnite is one of those dogs....

That people often read about or see in shelters. Someone else posted about tracing a microchip back to the breeder, so I gave it a shot. I called the shelter, but it turns out they microchipped him, so no luck. I knew Midnite was an owner surrender, but nothing more. Today they informed me that he was given up because he was "snippy" with the two kids in the house and a third one was on the way. This really took me by surprise, I asked them to define snippy. From the moment Midnite walked into my home he took a liking to my nephew, I assumed then that Midnite came from a home with at least a boy my nephews age. Midnite was mouthy when I got him, but NEVER with the kids. He grew out of that rather quickly. All of my dogs love kids, but if I had to pick one of them that adores kids, it would be Midnite. So my boy was brought to a kill shelter and sat there for at least a couple months, got kennel cough, and got zero attention. Why? Because someone wanted a GSD and couldn't handle it. I would love for them to see Midnite today.Bottom line is that people should not get a dog without fully researching the breed. My Midnite came really close to getting put to sleep because someone with no experience chose to get him. Their loss and my gain....

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 09-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Llombardo Thank you for giving Midnite the home and family he needed. Thank goodness you were there for him. Wishing you and he many happy healthy years and adventures
Maggi

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

I wish every animal in the world had a safe loving home, I'm sure Midnite is more then grateful to be part of your family

Remember life isn't just about how you start, but how you finish He's home to stay and that's what matters

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM

This made me a little teary eyed. Horray for midnite getting a furever home

Its so similar to Thors story. He was picked up by amimal control, owners were contacted and said "keep him". Thor was 3 days away from being PTS. He has been a blessing in mine and my children's lives.
Guess stupid people don't see potential

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

There are so many of these dogs -- GOOD dogs, discarded by people who won't put in the time, or just don't understand the breed.

I was brought to tears at the shelter last Saturday when a woman brought her eight year old GSD to be surrendered because she got a new job and was moving. He had been an inside-dog used to sleeping on the sofa and living the good life. He'd done nothing wrong. He cried and tried to follow her when she left him.

To her, dropping him off was like taking a trunk full of old clothes to Goodwill before the move -- lightening her load of possessions to be moved cross-country.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Another thought is that sometimes people just LIE when they take their dogs to a shelter. I think it somehow makes them think we will think better of them if they have a "good story" at least. Maybe assuages their guilt a little, I don't know.

Perfect example is brembo's dog Cable. He was scheduled to be PTS the day I drove to the neighboring county shelter and picked him up. (They are a tiny shelter and those of us around them try to help out when we can.) Cable was an owner surrender and we KNOW for a fact that the story the owner told was not the truth. He said Cable jumped his fencing and chased cars. I suspect he just didn't want a dog any longer or couldn't afford it.

WE never assume that what the owner told us is the truth. It's just not fair to label a dog with a certain negative behavior until we have seen the behavior for ourselves. It's always so funny when an "aggressive" dog comes into the shelter and ends up being a big old slurpy love hound
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
He cried and tried to follow her when she left him.:
Omg
I can't get this scene out of my head.

What happened to him, do you know?

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:08 PM

Oh Magwart, we were typing at the same time. You just told the story that I see and deal with a couple of times a week. Always breaks my heart. But we never quit loving them and trying to find them a home. Just Monday one of my favorites (a 7 year old Golden Rtrv/GSD mix) finally got a wonderful home with a stay at home family (several home schooled kids). She was adopted from us as a baby and her "family" loved her for 6 years. 2 years ago they had a son and when he started toddling Piper knocked him down a time or two (not in an aggressive way) so they dumped him. It's a couple I am (or was) friendly with and now I have absolutely no respect for them. Grrrr.

And does anyone want a gorgeous 10 year old brown and white Aussie/border collie? Oh..she was adopted as a baby from us 10 years ago. Her people brought her back a few months ago because they said she had separation anxiety so bad that they couldn't leave her at home....after 10 freaking years??? One of our kennel techs took her home to foster or to live out her days because she stood in the chair looking out the window and literally screamed after the sorry piece of ...... who left her there. Five of us stood in the lobby and cried like babies.

Ooooh..rant time. Take a deep breath and refocus
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

How do you work there? You must hate people. I couldn't watch this.

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

Also, what do you think of people that surrender their dogs? Can you not judge them? As much as I try to never judge that'd probably be an exception.

Are any excuses to you good enough for dumping a dog? Like does it ever happen that a person has an excuse you can understand?

What excuses are most common?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page