Diesel Chronicles - Long / Picture Heavy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Diesel Chronicles - Long / Picture Heavy

I figured for my own reference and for others to follow (who have been already) I would start a thread I can update on an on going basis with our rescued GSD Diesels journey.

Diesel was scheduled to be put to Sleep on April 7th 2013. My DH and I had been discussing getting a GSD as our 19yr old shiba approaches the end of his life. We were not 100% ready to get one and we thought we would HAVE to get a puppy in able to integrate into our fur pack. Diesel came across my Face Book feeds as being in trouble in Columbus GA Animal Shelter with no one offering to help him. The photo spoke to me in volumes something about him just called out to me. Without consulting with my husband I immediately started the calls / emails etc in order to save his soul. It took me over 25 phone calls and 18 emails to get someone willing to actually go into the shelter and get him out. PAWS Humane next door to the shelter stepped up on my behalf and pulled him just a few hours before it was closing time. If he had not been pulled before opening the next morning he was scheduled to PTS. Our journey began....

Little did I know that GA has some of the most difficult laws regarding adopting a dog from a Shelter, so much so that the Department of Ag is involved in it. Diesel was scheduled to be neutered / micro chipped / vetted the next day. I was told he would be ready to travel on Weds 4/17, I immediately started trying to arrange transport. I called airlines, people, reached out to every transport group I could find, and put a bid up on UShip. My bid on UShip offered to take him from Columbus GA to Raleigh NC where I could meet and pick him up. Raleigh is about a 5 hour drive for me but I was in desperation at that point as it was already Monday so I agreed to drive to NC to get him and take a day off work. Transport arranged....

Tuesday Morning 7am my cell phone rings. Diesel is sick, bloody stool, not eating, not drinking not feeling well.... They immediately suspect Parvo. My heart sank. Cancel transport and stop everything. While Parvo can be cured there is no way to sanitize a dog and a dog can carry the virus long after it is cured. I cannot put my fur babies at home at risk. They run a parvo test it comes back negative but still suspect it may be a false negative, two days pass of testing / sick dog and there is no diagnosis. Diesel finally turns the corner and is starting to feel better, but we still dont know what it is was... There is a new scary Parvo virus floating around that comes up negative on tests. Another vet assesses him, and is certain it is NOT parvo or the other scary things (giardia etc). Its now Weds 4/24 he is doing well eating and needs to get out of the vet clinic they cannot have him there any longer. A generous person along the way of my crisis offered to foster him until I could arrange transport.... Transport arranged for Saturday 4/27 8pm pick up....

Foster picks him up at 5:02pm 4/24 from the vet clinic at PAWS Humane. They send me photos and say he is a bouncy boy that has a TON of energy... Great... 25 minute ride to Fosters home who has a St. Bernard, Husky, and Great Dane (all females) 5:44 Foster says he is dog aggressive and cannot stay. Heart sinks... No way proper introductions could have been done. Its only been 17 minutes! I am devastated, they say he has to go back. Its now 6pm PAWS closes at 6 I call anyway luckily enough get someone on phone, who calls my coordinator on their cell and they agree to stay and let him come back to the vets office... 6:26 Foster text he is throwing up all over her car??? He rode fine to her house and the Shelter Manager said he rode shot gun from where he was picked up on street back to shelter???

Next morning, contact PAWS he needs to get out of there they cannot keep him there...and they cannot be there for 8pm pick up by transporter and transporter cannot come any earlier... Cancel transport, scramble to find another foster... No foster no transport... Send to a pet resort until we can arrange transport. At this point I have 3 GSD rescues, and 3 other rescues involved in this trying to help. They put me in contact with a transporter making a run up the east coast through Baltimore MD on 5/3-5/4 from GA but the pick up location is 185 miles from where he is Put another bid out on UShip to get him from the pet resort to pick up location for 2pm 5/3 success! Transport now arranged!!

4/28 - Storms rolling through GA.... Pet resort calls me he is in melt down mode covered in his own feces, upset his food / water they cannot leave it down for him.... Tranquilize diesel so he can make it through night... 4/29 Doing slightly better but still pacing like crazy. Emotional state of dog continues to deteriorate over the next several days. 5/3 8am 1st transporter arrives to pick him up, his spirits lift and he is happy again. Need to get 185 miles with him in 6 hours no problem right? WRONG... Department of Ag has to be there for the transporter to sign release papers / provide all documents including health cert / vet records etc... Dept of Ag no where to be found ... hour later Dept of Ag shows up.... Great on road by 9:30... Transporter hits traffic in ATL. Second leg of transport is waiting for them at next pick up point ... 1.5 hours late they arrive! (Thank goodness for patient transporters!) He is too big doesnt fit in the crate they have for him They reluctantly let him lay on the floor of the van and hit the road... He is dog aggressive being reactive to other dogs in van, shove him in the crate he is too large for and continue on.

5/4 - 6pm Transporter arrives here to me in MD and we bring him home finally!! This time we are going to do the proper introductions... Bring him around back and let him smell our dogs in the yard... Take him away from yard and out of sight, bring our Timid F Samoyed outside into yard bring him back... FREAK OUT!!! 60 yards away .... 2 hours later after working with him approach and retreat get him to fence to smell our Samoyed... ATTACK! Thank goodness he was on other side of fence! Give it up for the evening and let him rest in crate away from all other dogs / cats.

Its been almost two weeks now, and he still is not permitted around my other dogs. He has stopped barking his face off at them i the crate and he goes on walks with our Samoyed and he is muzzled for her protection. Walks are going great but still trys to attack when in yard or house with her.

5/10 - Meet with behavorist in home trainer he flips out while we are outside talking about her program and methods, she attempts to handle him, he drags her around the yard and she ask's my DH to take him please.
5/11 - Meet with another trainer who handles him and walks him through a class full of barking dogs with no incident (HE MUST BE THE ONE RIGHT?) $2,000 for him to work with us OUCH! Tell him we are meeting with another trainer next day. He KNOWS this trainer... Even consults with him on his OWN personal dogs!!
5/12 - Meet another trainer - Soft spoken mild mannered man, doesnt even want to acknowledge the aggression issue until we have full obedience when not stimulated... Makes sense... Handles dog, tests him for a number of things, agree's there is a little issue but will probably resolve its self ... BINGO! Can we start now??? No go.... Book training and we start 5/17

Today is 5/17 and we have our first training session with him. We are excited and nervous all the same time. The dog we brought home on 5/4 is not the same dog we have now, he was a WILD ELEPHANT... Charge through doors / house just so out of control. Our new trainer put a pinch collar on him and showed us briefly how to use it. We have had several successful walks and a much happier dog all week thanks to this collar. Our bodies are recovering from the bruises, sore muscles, scraped knees!

4/6 Diesel Comes across my news feed as scheduled to be PTS

4/24 "Foster" picks him up from Vet Clinic, first time I have saw him since the photo came across my news feed.

5/4 - We just picked him up from transporter

5/5 Spending the day exploring and having fun with these new people

5/6 First day at work with this new lady, I would rather be outside and play. Its a long day for this lady of me climbing on her desk, in her lap, in the window, and pacing the room

5/7-8This lady finds this music... It makes me sleepy while I am at work

5/11 I am going to see a trainer, I dont know what that is, so I am not all that thrilled

5/12 Another trainer today

5/17 Another day at work, I have learned sitting down nicely gets me lots of petting and love. I still occasionally try to get on the desk but I have really been trying to be a good boy....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM

Oh my, that face - what a cutie! I can see why his pics "spoke" to you. I wish you continued luck with his progress!

Ralphie - GSD, rescue, Gotcha Day 2/10/13
Nightshade - born 6/3/2003 - Domestic medium hair/Maine Coon mix (feline)
James - Domestic short hair (feline), rescue, Gotcha Day 6/23/11
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

I am so interested in your journey with him! I am glad you have gotten started with a trainer.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Oh my goodness what a story!! I could just hug you for taking all the time, effort and money to get this boy. I will be watching his story unfold.

~ ~ ~ Melissa, Emme (A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!), and 4 Cats ~ ~ ~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by readmeli View Post
Oh my goodness what a story!! I could just hug you for taking all the time, effort and money to get this boy. I will be watching his story unfold.
Oh I didn't get into the money thing, but lets just say I could of imported a puppy from Germany by now I look at it this way, when I said I would save him I made a commitment to do so and even though it was a lot more money than I had intended I cant put a price on a life and it was not his choice for me to take this journey. Good bad or indifferent he is here to stay. The only way he was NOT coming home to me was if he had Parvo I couldn't put my 19yr old dog at that risk. I did offer to sponsor him through the Parvo treatment though if that was what it turned out to be and let him come home to me a few months later. Thank goodness that is not what it was!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

As Diesel and I embark on yet another adventure, I can't help but wonder if maybe he has rescued me. Times have been very hard here at home and our plans have rapidly changed. We are moving today and it will be just myself and the pets. I have had to put my cats with a friend, my shiba inu with my Mother in law and Diesel and Fluffy are coming with me. I am worried with all the change and uncertainty in our lives he will regress. He has been making such great progress and I hope that I can remain consistent enough to continue his recovery from whatever his past held. He has so many changes coming in the next two weeks, part of his fur pack is going to be missing, we will be in a strange new place as guests, I will be going back into the office to work, he will not get to see my husband for quite some time. Its times like these a persons true strength is tested and my commitment to my pets is not wavering. I hope that tomorrow when I arrive, to see another house and get moving in the direction of us all being back together again.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM

Best of luck to you!

~ ~ ~ Melissa, Emme (A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!), and 4 Cats ~ ~ ~
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Although our very recent move has been stressful for me we have had a huge break through! Diesel can now be around Fluffy without trying to attack her. I brought Fluffy back on Sunday evening to the house, he never barked at her from his kennel in the yard. That evening after our walk together (Diesel muzzled) he was wagging his tail at her so I decided I would see what happened if I let him lose with her in room (still muzzled) he went over licked her and walked away. Last night I did it again and he did try to play with her which knocked her down but I quickly corrected and he was fine. After an hour or so I took the muzzle off and took them out for their night time potty together and he was just fine with her! I am so thrilled, I don't know if its the stress of the move that has him wanting to be around her in a non-aggressive way or what. I go to pick up the 3rd dog on Thursday night to bring him back into the picture we shall see how that goes. He will NEVER have access to him fully as I cant risk the 19yr old getting hurt like that. He is still trying to eat other dogs for certain but is coming around to Fluffy who he will be pack mates with which is an absolute thrill to me!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like the move was helpful for Diesel in his relationship w/ Fluffy. Sounds like you have had your hands full. sending you all kinds of positive thoughts for your new place to be a great start to your new blended pack. We have two female GSDs who we adopted in Febuary and were still working on all the pack building stuff and we also moved a month ago.It is alot of juggling and work but I can tell from what you went through to getr Diesel you really love him. Love your journal!

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page