Xenomorphs Beware! GSD Rescue Pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Talking Xenomorphs Beware! GSD Rescue Pup

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to introduce the newest member of my family - Ripley! (We named her after the character from the Alien movie series...Yeah, we're nerds ). My husband and I adopted her from the Santa Fe Humane Society a little over two months ago and I've already forgotten what life was like without her.

About two years ago my childhood dog, Comet, crossed the bridge. She was a mutt that lived to be about 17 years old and was, I thought, the most perfect dog ever to wag a tail. I used to tell my boyfriend (now husband) that if the two of them were ever hanging off of a cliff and I could only save one I would choose the dog, hands down (And he still stuck around!). It took a long time but about 6 months ago I felt ready to get another dog. My husband wasn't so sure. He didn't want the responsibility or the hassle, and even though he was raised with two dogs, he didn't have the same bond with them as I did with Comet. I knew once he met a puppy his opinion would change so I did a TON of research. I was also raised taking care of my Uncle's GSD/Husky mix so I wasn't a complete stranger to the breed. I knew I wanted a large dog, a smart breed, a high energy pet (I'm a runner), and one that would look intimidating when I was out alone with it. The only choice was, of course, a GSD.

After a disappointing experience trying to adopt a GSD from a Service Animals group (the owner decided at the last minute to keep him), I began stalking shelter websites like crazy. When a little GSP pup that they called Rita Bonita popped up I called and put a hold on her immediately. The next day my husband and I took off work to go meet her and it was love at first pee (yes, she did the "happy pee". She's grown out of it already, and my carpet is much happier). My husband didn't want to put her down. She was so alert and you could tell she was smart from the get go. Her original owner apparently was sent to prison and they found this beautiful girl with a wound on her face (at less than 2 months old, the poor thing). She was just a couple weeks over 2 months when we picked her up for only $125 (yaaay shelters!).

This dog has amazed me with her intelligence. The very first night she learned the "sit" command in, no joke, 2 minutes! We've used clicker training with Ripley and she is flourishing. She loves chasing after balls, and although she has a tendency to play bite too much with us (I'm guessing she didn't have much, or any, time with her mom and littermates), she's getting better every day - and for some reason she has never tried to play bite children, but she DOES like to smother their faces with kisses. She's around 4.5 months old now and is a strong, playful girl. I can't stress enough what an amazing dog she is, and if anyone out there is looking for a GSD please, please, please try your local shelters!

P.S. - Yes, my husband knows that I would also choose to save Ripley if the two of them were ever hanging off a cliff...but I'm pretty sure he would too if the roles were reversed!

The pictures are Ripley the first week we had her, and another from just a week and a half ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RipleySmall.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	60010   Click image for larger version

Name:	RipleyBig.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	60018  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM

What a great dog!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Master Member

Awesome looking dog, sounds like you are on the right track! Good luck.

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM

LOL I've always wanted to name a dog Ripley, too She's lovely!

- doesn't have a GSD yet

- does have a small, light GSDlike female dog who I strongly suspect is a Malinois
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Elite Member

She's precious! And so lucky to have you. Thanks for adopting!

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Ripley is a doll. She has already burrowed into your hearts.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Great dog and great story. I have an 11 year old GSD female, I am also a runner and my girl ran with me for 7 great years. She no longer runs with me but does go for short walks to the river. Enjoy your dog, was a very heartwarming story that was good for me to read.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member

Great story, and great save! Congratulations on your new pup. I guess your husband will stay away from cliffs

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM

Can I just say its awesome that you told your bf that you'd save the dog before him?

I told my bf (now husband) the same thing. He thought I was nuts but stayed (and now we're married with a toddler and one on the way). My mom said I was the worst person in the world, to save a DOG instead of the man I was (am) in love with.

Just glad there is someone else out there who thinks like me.

Congrats on the pup!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Crowned Member

Beautiful girl. Thanks for giving her a great home.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page