We added a new family member! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

We added a new family member!

My wife and I have been talking about adding a third to our pack for a while now, and we knew we wanted to get a GSD. We also knew we wanted him/her to be a rescue/adoption, as apposed to a new puppy.

Well my wife stumbled across an ad on craigslist which ended in us bringing home Lucia, a 20 month old female GSD yesterday. She is very sweet and only appears to show very small amounts of anxiety (which is understandable... she did just leave the only place and people she ever knew.)

Lucia's owners had gotten her for their teen-aged daughter, clearly not thoroughly understanding the amount of time she would require. She was left outside and only shown minimal amounts of attention in passing.

When we got Lucia home, we walked her around our 2 acres and then brought her inside. We let her explore a little and then crated her immediately. She has come out three times in the last 15 hours or so. This is our 1st time with a rescue and I have soo many questions.

Firstly, she has yet to take even a nibble from her kibble. (The owners had thrown her scraps, but she is by no means underweight.) Is she just in a grieving/transitional time and will eat when she's ready?

Secondly, Lucia doesn't like treats. I've tried like 3 or 4 different kinds of treats and she doesn't take them. (tied to the no eating??)

Thirdly, out female lab seems to want to meet her, but our male lab/basset is showing aggression (growls/snarls). We have kept her separate from them.

I have tons more questions, but I think those are the pressing issues for now and would appreciate ANY advice/ideas.

** Proud pack leader of: **
Murphy - 7 y/o. Lab+Bassett
Angie - 2 y/o Yellow Labrador Retriever
*Working to become pack leader of 20 month old GSD Lucia!*
*Gone but NEVER forgotten**
Rambo - Great Dane/Pitbull mix
Kaiser - GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for rescuing!

It's really really common for a dog to have little or not appetite after moving to a new home. The majority of my foster dogs didn't eat for the first day or two. She'll be fine in a couple of days. Keep offering her food in a safe place away from other dogs so she can eat when she's ready.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks for rescuing--she sure is a good looking dog!

As Emoore said, the lack of appetite is normal but it could also be the food switch--she used to eating different food. You can try adding in a scrambled or raw egg or some non-fat yogurt or high quality canned dog food to get her eating. Since she was eating scraps that also might make more sense to her and help her transition to kibble.

I would try to introduce your dogs, individually, on neutral ground. I usually take mine for a long walk (with someone else holding one of the dogs) away from their normal territory.

And have you tried high value treats like dehydrated or fresh chicken or liver treats or something stinky?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Thank you for rescuing!

It's really really common for a dog to have little or not appetite after moving to a new home. The majority of my foster dogs didn't eat for the first day or two. She'll be fine in a couple of days. Keep offering her food in a safe place away from other dogs so she can eat when she's ready.
Her food is kenneled with her. She's in a BIG wired kennel with one of the comforters from our bed draped over it, covering all but one of the sides. Our other two dogs have been instructed that the room she is in is OFF LIMITS. (They are VERY obedient and have steered clear. Our Lab is sitting in the open doorway. I really think she just wants to meet her new sister )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
Thanks for rescuing--she sure is a good looking dog!

As Emoore said, the lack of appetite is normal but it could also be the food switch--she used to eating different food. You can try adding in a scrambled or raw egg or some non-fat yogurt or high quality canned dog food to get her eating. Since she was eating scraps that also might make more sense to her and help her transition to kibble.

I would try to introduce your dogs, individually, on neutral ground. I usually take mine for a long walk (with someone else holding one of the dogs) away from their normal territory.

And have you tried high value treats like dehydrated or fresh chicken or liver treats or something stinky?
Thank you. We think she's a beauty and fell in love IMMEDIATELY. Her registration papers have her listed as a Sable.

I'll go to town today to pick up some of those to try. We tried those with the other two and they seemed to prefer the cheaper "biscuit" type of treats... guess Lucia is more high maintenance then our other 2!!

Kaiser - GSD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

I got my puppy from craigslist too.....its amazing what people give up She is a beautiful dog and once she settles in she will come around and be a wonderful new addition Good Luck

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM

she's gorgeous congratulations!! good find

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the compliments! She is such a beauty. The pictures actually don't do her justice...

We did introductions yesterday. I know it was probably waaayyy too early, but our girls really really REALLY wanted to meet. They hit it off right away!

I'd like to get some ideas and opinions from you guys if you have any...

She's DEFINITELY NOT house trained. She won't potty in the kennel. my wife and I worked 12 hour shifts Monday and Tuesday and no accidents in the kennel. We took her out before work and when we got home. In the morning for probably 30 minutes and in the evening for at LEAST an hour. She won;t potty out side. She just walks around and around our property (we haven't let the property yet to try to get her used to us and her territory.) As soon as we get inside she potties on the carpet.

Any advice on house training a 20 month old???? Thanks...

Kaiser - GSD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Crowned Member

You house train a 20 month old the same way you do a puppy. Keep her kenneled or tethered to you in the house and throw a party when she goes to the bathroom outside.

And clean your rug with an enzyme cleaner or white vinegar and water. If she's going to the bathroom in the same area I would block her access to that area.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Crowned Member

Beautiful girl. She seems pretty relaxed rolling around in the yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page