Viktor's Rescue- 2 month Update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Viktor's Rescue- 2 month Update

For the back story:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...a-weekend.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...hs-update.html

Well, tomorrow us 2 months since I got Viktor. SOOO MUCH has happened. First, let me say, he is very healthy and has been putting on weight. The skin-and-bones dog is no more. He looks really good. We moved into a better place for us both. He loves playing in the basement and has a better yard. Still need a tie-out in back, but maybe I can get it fenced in this summer.

His personality has really started to come out. He is silly, playful, stubborn and yet eager to please and learn.

We have done 3 private training session with Kristi Hudak, and I can't recommend her enough if you are in the Pittsburgh area. (here is a link: Pittsburgh dog training and German Shepherd Dogs ) His basic obedience is coming along strong. Recall is very good on a 30 ft lead. I am told to not let him off-leash for probably a year, but we did drop the leash in a semi-enclosed ball field this past weekend, and he came right back when called. "Down" was a bit of a struggle, but he got it this weekend and now seems to have not problem with it. Also, he did his first "track line" and was golden.

He had to be house-trained when I got him, and was good. Then we moved and we had to start all over in that area. At least in the new place, he only did it in the basement, so I wasn't too bothered. Seems as long as I am consistent, and take him out at the usual time or when he seems like he needs it, everything is fine. I blame myself for any recent accidents.

We still have areas that need work. He is still reactive to other dogs, but it seems like it is only with me. When Kristi handles him or he is at the day-care kennel, he is fine. So, it is my reactions that need work and I am trying. He still wants to jump over me to get out of the car. This is a work in progress too. I still do not leave him home alone for long, but we are doing short doses now, and extending them a little longer each time.

In couple weeks, I do have to kennel him when I visit my Mom and Brother in Florida for Christmas. I will miss him a lot. At least he knows the kennel and they take good care of him there. I am sure he will make me pay for leaving him there for 4-5 days. I am expecting him to "mark" when we get home and probably take a couple days to fall back into our potty routine (and otherwise).

So.... all in all... things are going good. The poor abused, neglected puppy is getting spoiled and doing well.

Thanks to wolfstram, Kristi and all the commenters here...

I now can't imagine life without my new best-buddy.

*Greg Knight*
Viktor: 5 year old (DOB: 8/31/2008) GSD rescued 10/15/2011
Everyday, we get closer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Crowned Member

and Thank you Greg for adopting Viktor!!! I remember the local networking when his original owner died and he was discovered in horrible shape and the pleas to find a home for him! You did a wonderful thing in taking him on and I am so glad you did! He is a nice boy and you two make a great team!

You should come visit the pups before they start leaving!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
and Thank you Greg for adopting Viktor!!! I remember the local networking when his original owner died and he was discovered in horrible shape and the pleas to find a home for him! You did a wonderful thing in taking him on and I am so glad you did! He is a nice boy and you two make a great team!

You should come visit the pups before they start leaving!

Lee
I would really like to see the puppies Lee... maybe this weekend? I will shoot you a PM.

*Greg Knight*
Viktor: 5 year old (DOB: 8/31/2008) GSD rescued 10/15/2011
Everyday, we get closer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Thank you for helping Victor! It's so nice to be able to follow his progress from email for help to member of the family. You are doing a great job with him!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

Thank you for the update and for saving this beautiful boy.

I'm jealous you are getting to see the puppies. LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page