Update: Three GSD in Clayton Co GA Shelter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Update: Three GSD in Clayton Co GA Shelter

Well, they are saved and on the way to recovery. I need advice. I love this breed and have two GSD of my own. When I went to Clayton Co shelter, they only had 2 out of the 3. A male GSD that tested HW negative went to a rescue group on Monday 9/19. I picked up a female and male on 9/20 with the help of my friend that works for the Humane Society. Both are HW positive. Both are beautiful. I immediately started 400 mg of doxy and 500 mg of amoxicillian and made plans to repeat the dose every 12 hours. These two had discharge coming from eyes and nose and both had a terrible wheezing that would break ones heart to just listen to it. They ate their first meal which was 2 cups of IAMS and 1/2 of can to make the dry more appealing. The female (i call her Bella) is really thin and the male (i call him Baron) is thin as well but not as bad as the female. After giving them love, food, and meds, I went to see my vet to schedule them an appointment for Saturday AM. My vet will keep them on Doxy for several months while waiting on meds to treat the heart worms. The estimate to treat both was $1800.00 which was $900 each dog for the following: $106 for Blood Testing; $98 for radiographs (2 views); 3 Injection Fee for $84; Immiticide Vial for $432 (6 units); and hospitalization - Level 3 for $180. The spay and neuter clinic will perform surgery and give shots for $99 each dog. We will only do the surgery once all these upper resp. problems are totally resolved. We are also on a waiting list for the HW treatment because of the shortage on Immiticide. These two GSD are about 1 year old and need help. The male placed his head on my lap and went to sleep after I gave him a warm bath. He is a big sweet heart and the female is the same. Who can I reach out to for help. The HW treatment seemed very expensive but once detailed out, I understood the expenses. The vet i contacted was the vet I use for my GSD and I trust them. Please give me your thoughts and advice. They love me already as much as I love them. I want to keep them in my home and make sure they recover fully from all the stress in their environment. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Master Member

Lisa, thank you so much for helping (and caring for) and for the update on what happened to these two! Hopefully someone on this list can give you information on where to get some assistance with their medical issues.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words....Good news from Dr. Chris: Bella & Baron are really young (1-2 yrs) and expected to do well once they receive their treatment. What is the deal with Immiticide? We have printed a flyer and are reaching out to some of our local business people such as vets, groomers, and doggie daycare centers.....Wish us luck. A story: Baron & Bella are living in my basement until the virus get out of their system. They have a couch, rugs, bones, toys, and a fresh bucket of cold water. Baron...who at first did not even know what a stair was.....tried his 1st attempt at stairs. Now....a few days later...he is camping out on the landing outside the door that goes from my foyer to the basement. Got to luv a GSD.....Baron wants so badly to come up with us, that he remains in this area while I tend to the other fosters/rescues in my home. So mom got him a pillow and blanket and move his area to the landing. I cannot wait until 9 more days when they can join our group. I will post a picture soon of him on the landing, it is just too cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page