Smokes thread - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thumbs up Smokes thread

I know Smoke has alot of fans here I will update his progress here. He's just such a love...I know we had a thread about hugging, and how some dogs don't like it. You would think a dog like him wouldn't like it...LOL! Not this guy! He forces hugs I'll be sitting in a chair, he starts with nudging for pets, then sticks his head under my arm, and presses up against me, tail in a slow wag, smiling, relaxed as can be. He likes to be "held" while getting pets. I'm really feeling a solid "THANK YOU!" from him. I know it's only been a couple days, but I am really feeling we got a keeper...I'm totally in love with him. How fast they can steal a heart...scary. He's laying at my feet right now, Axel on the on the other side of my chair. They are getting along pretty well, just have to remind Axel to leave him alone sometimes, Axel is just so excited to have another dog here.
Although interaction with my 3 year old has been very strictly supervised, I am really pleased with what I am seeing so far. Tyler scraped his knee this morning while we were outside with the dogs. While I am cleaning it up getting ready to put on a band-aid, Smoke was watching intently, and while I was working on it, came around behind me and nuzzled my boy and gave him another kiss.We have a vet appointment in the morning, and I'm going to enroll him in the obedience class Axel is starting, and my 14 year old will handle 1 of them (he's a little nervous if he can do it, I know he will be fine ) I know it's a little soon, if I see any signs it's stressing him, we'll give it up...he's a pretty level headed dog it seems so far. I'm really thinking he is going to enjoy training, he loves people, and responds beautifully to praise and treats. I did have him sitting for cheese last night
*Only concerns, yes, there is some food guarding, but I have only observed him growling at the other dog. I have yet to see ANY sign aggression towards humans.
*He peed in his crate yesterday. He was only crated an hour, went out right before we left but it looked like he had tried to scoot the soiled bedding into a corner so he didn't have to lay in it...so hopefully he'll be OK. Will talk with the vet about that tomorrow also.
*Hes a light colored dog and I wear alot of black. ROFL! Jus kiddin'! He is DEFINANTLY a German Shedder!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you again for finding this guy!!! I think he'll reward you many times over. Your son will be find training! It will help him build a bond with Smoke too. I would definitely look for a positive based class for him to help build the bond and his confidence.

Food guarding - feed him from your hand. Reward him greatly when he lets another dog near him if he has food. Feed him in his crate to prevent problems. You don't know if he had to fight for his food where he was so the best thing to do is just let him eat in peace.

Pee in the crate - He was kenneled, right? So it's normal for him to go in the same area that he slept. I think this will go away once you housebreak him. Just treat him like a puppy for housebreaking.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Great to hear he is doing so well!! It's amazing how they show you how much they appreciate what you have done by bring them into your home. Our Titus has been one of those guy's that was one that didn't hug or climb into your lap and now over a year later he shows much affection to Cathy and I. I think he will be fine given him a lil time to adjust to you and your family

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" == Winston Churchill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1, BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Besides ear infections, Smoke got a clean bill of health! 89.6 lbs, vet commented what a sweet disposition he has.
No more crate accidents so far, I did feed him by hand yesterday, he is very gentle taking food. I've been feeding him in the garage, his crate is a little cramped (going to have to move up to an EXTRA large for him). Axel and him were PLAYING this morning, 1st time I've actually seen him play like a puppy I've been leaving our patio door open, he has been going outside to potty (he only had that 1st accident...). Walks nicely on his leash, only a little pulling, and loves to chase a ball. Still getting more affectionate. Neuter in a couple months, after he is adjusted a little more.
Our family is complete. This one's a keeper.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Sounds like he was meant to cross your path. It is amazing how dogs pick us out before we get the chance to pick them. Congratulations on your new family member!!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" == Winston Churchill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1, BH
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

Good news on the health checkup, glad all is going well.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM

good news, sound like you've BOTH lucked out,,you gotta good dog, he gotta good home)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Smoke was AMAZING at his 1st obedience class tonight! My next post will be a video, I'll have my son shoot tomorrow. His heel is incredible. Tiny bit of forging that stepping into him corrects immediatly. He does not know sit yet, but was catching on. He loved it A bunch of barking dogs doesn't interest him at all, he was surrounded by that before. Just had to share, I want anyone considering a rescue of this nature to see this...
We went to the park earlier in the day, swings scared him, but he recovered quite quickly and well Happy happy

at the park
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	downsize.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	11211  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Master Member

Smoke looks so HAPPY! He's definitely knows he's hit the jackpot; his new home!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

We are doing GREAT! Smoke is just such an AMAZING dog! Sorry I haven't posted a video yet, kinda a crazy weekend here. I WILL get 1 up this week. All the new things, city life is intimidating for him, he is socializing beautifully. Things scare him (he was petrified when he saw a fire hydrant, LOL!) but he recovers quickly, and is coming along just incredibly. I could not be prouder of this dog, and he knows it After just one day of obedience, he heels like a pro, crowds me, but stuck to my side...slow sits, but so proud when he does, and gets praise I worked him tonight, he did great. He's perfect with my kids, and housebreaking is going well. I switched him to a raw diet cold turkey...his teeth are cleaning up nicely, he LOVES eating raw (a complete CHOWHOUND! lol!) and his stools are great. He had 1 soft stool, and has been fine (normal) since. I made steaks for supper...I had them on the counter, on the broiler pan tonight, and went to the restroom...I came out to see he had helped himself to 1, and was devouring it. I just looked at him...."OK sweety, guess I better feed you..." LOL! He proceeded to eat 2 chicken leg quarters, and a back...I didn't weigh tonight, but it had to be 3 lbs of food He is eating great. He had half a can of tripe with his vitamins this morning. He does need to put on a little weight, so it's all good.
I absolutely ADORE this dog. Him and Axel get along very well, they've had a spat or 2, but they are tight. The resource guarding is very minor with him. NO human aggression at all, just a growl if Axel gets too close. It is going well. I started feeding him in the kitchen, just me and him, while I go about my business and he eats. NO problems at all. He actually wags his tail when I come close while he is eating. I will post updates...

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.
- Edward Everett Hale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page