Maxx Update - 5 Months in - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Maxx Update - 5 Months in

I just read a post from another person who'd just rescued a 4 year old with "baggage", so it reminded me I should update.

You might recall that Maxx went from a breeder in MI to a shelter in MI to an adopted home in MI to a "rescue" to an adoptor in NY that didn't work out to us back in MI...all in about 3 months time. Poor guy.

Maxx has been with us since February 26th. He's put on weight, adjusted to a raw diet, solidified a few commands and he and Ezra and best buds. Maxx is an amazing and beautiful boy. And he's also a handful.

He's definitely NOT a dog park dog. It took me a long time to admit to that. Ezra and I enjoyed (pre-Maxx) going to a private dog park with a pond, trails, etc almost every day. Maxx has a very strong prey drive and obsesses over small dogs that dart around and squeal...barking at them incessantly. I thought I could work around that by staying in the big dog part of the park, but alas, small dog owners like variety. Then, he went after an intact Visla .. I had to drop my 200# body to the ground on top of his leash to stop him. Needless to say, no more dog park. Interestingly, he's fine when we are walking. Even if we encounter other dogs, I correct him if he starts to pay too much attention to a dog behind a fence or walking on the other side of the street and he keeps walking. Dog parks are DEFINITELY not for every dog.

He also poops in the house if he's left alone (ie, without Ezra). As long as Ez is still here, he's fine. But if I take Ezra to the park (he's only 1 so he's still got a lot of puppy energy) and Maxx is here alone, I will come back to a pile. Since he's raw fed, it's small and doesn't stink too much.

So, still glad he's here. He's definitely made my life more complicated but I have no regrets. OTOH, I am DONE!! Two 90# monsters romping around my house is plenty for me.

Dee
Caretaker of Ezra the Wonder Dog &
Maxx, Pooch Extraordinnaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page