Maxx Update - Almost 30 Days - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Maxx Update - Almost 30 Days

Maxx has put on 5# since he's been here! I think I mentioned that his spine and hip bones were prominent when he arrived. He's still got a few pounds to go (I'm thinking about 5 more) and he'll look like a champ! He has taken to eating raw like he was born to do it (hmm, maybe he was?!). He doesn't care for peanut butter but loves to work the treats out of empty Pepsi bottles and other treat-hiding toys.

He and Ezra are getting on fine. Late afternoons, Maxx is happy to have Ez go to his crate for "down time" because Ezra bugs him to death wanting to play 24/7. Many times, Maxx will walk in circles and Ez follows along. I wonder if Maxx is doing it just to see how long Ez will follow him around the dining room.

Maxx is still taking off out the door every chance he gets - and Ezra is following him! I had to get in the car to chase them down a few days ago and caught up to them just as they were going to "greet" a nice lady walking her terrier. She was holding her dog in her arms with eyes as big as saucers. I apologized profusely and of course, both boys jumped in the car and put their heads down. There's almost nothing I hate more than strange dogs running up to mine, so when mine are the culprits, I feel SO bad. We've started to work on going to the "Matt" (ie "place") when the doorbell rings. Having 2 teenagers and being the house of choice for half the middle school to hang out means lots of door opening & closing. Send me positive vibes. Poor Maxx has been in 5 homes since December so it'll take him a while to feel like this is 'home'.

We went to the private dog park: once with just me which was pretty stressful and once with hubby and I that was MUCH more fun. Maxx's recall was better and he looked to us for direction on which way to go on walking trails. Long way to go, but better, indeed.

I'm a little afraid that Ez is bonding with Maxx in a way that is detrimental to my leadership. I'm working on a plan to get Ez off by himself more (but that's hard to do since Maxx doesn't like to be alone).

All in all, I'm still feeling good about things. Maxx feels very much like a part of the family and we love him. Ezra would be lost without him. I'm starting to feel like I might too.

Dee
Caretaker of Ezra the Wonder Dog &
Maxx, Pooch Extraordinnaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Crowned Member

all great news, except all those opening doors and dogs getting out really, really scares me! i have some health issues to check out and take care of, but after that (couple of weeks), we should get together, we live so close...

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Scares me too! Yes, let's get together and swap stories : )

Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

goin' in to the U for some heart exams tomorrow...hopefully i'll be coming home, lolol. truthfully, i'm kinda anxious about it and hope it's all a false alarm. and hey, so glad maxx is working out for you!

mom to the cashman
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

You're not going alone are you?

Dee
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

sorry dee, wasn't on again last night or this morning to answer. no, didn't go alone (sometimes it is WORTH having a dh), and am home, alive and well!!! just hate those scanners, they give me claustrophobia. had to get an emergency 10mg valium, lol. got me thru it tho. more later, on the run here to pick up two of the four kids from boarding. more later. thanks for asking!

mom to the cashman
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Valium can be a life saver in such instances. Inbox me when you're up for it and let's connect!

Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page