Leaving Chance alone not crated - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Leaving Chance alone not crated

Well, I had a lot of things I needed to do yesterday and decided to try and have Chance loose in the house without being in the crate.
I have not seen anything destructive with him. He is not a chewer, has not raised his leg in the house except for the first day, and now let's me know when he does have to go out, so I thought "Heck, why not?"

I left the house and went around to the other side to peek through the window to see how he was reacting with my leaving.
He sat by the backdoor for a minute or so, then turned around whined a couple of times, then curled up on his bed by the fireplace and started gnawing on his bone.

I was gone a couple of hours and came back to nothing wrong except a dog who was EXTREMELY happy to see me which took a little while for him to finally calm down. You'd think I had been gone for days the way he was acting.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

Yay Chance!!! That's always such a proud moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Good job Chance!!! He is such a good boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM

GOOD JOB CHANCE!! and heck Iwalk down the driveway to the mailbox , return and my dogs act like I've been gone forever) I think it's a gsd thing

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
GOOD JOB CHANCE!! and heck Iwalk down the driveway to the mailbox , return and my dogs act like I've been gone forever) I think it's a gsd thing
Yeah, they us so!

He REALLY loves my son Matt. Geez, Matt can't even take a shower without Chance sitting outside the bathroom door whining cause he can't be with his buddy. So cute.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Hooray for Chance. Glad he's doing so well and hasn't caused any major problems for you.
I was just thinking of one of our other rescue dogs, Ruger. He was found as a stray and turned into a shelter. When we got him, we were told he had a great fear of men. I don't know about that, but all the people who worked at the shelter were women and he had been there for months.
I spent 15 minutes getting to know him and never had any problems

The night we brought him home, he headed for a large plant in the entryway and lifted his leg. Gave him a firm no and he stopped.
Never had any accidents in the house.
He never chewed or destroyed anything. When he was "mad" at one of us, he'd leave something that belonged that person in the middle of the living room floor. We crated him at first, and eventually let him have run of the house.
If he was upset with my wife, he'd leave one of her shoes in the middle of the living room. Not chewed, just laying there. If it was me, it would be the TV remote. Never did figure that one out.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Master Member

Good for him and you! I've just started letting Dexter, who'll be a year on the 16th, alone in the house with Luke for short amounts of time. However, I close all of the bedroom doors and the door to the upstairs and I also close the doggy door, so he has most of the downstairs, his toys, bed, etc. The longest I've been gone is about an hour and, so far, so good. I've been lucky to have dogs that are mellow when I leave. If they're on their beds or lying on the floor, they tend to stay there as I go out the door. I don't do goodbyes with them, I simply leave. Seems to make it easy for all. When I return, then there's some barking and commotion for a short while. I'm considering a trial run at letting Dexter sleep out of his crate this weekend. Any hints on this? Thanks.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

What a good boy!!!

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM

This is so good to hear--that he doesn't have separation anxiety! Just discovered you and Chance are now here in the Rescue section. Have to continue getting caught up with you both. Sounds like everything is just going amazingly well. He is such a really good, sound dog! Love to hear all your updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page