Chance still w/diarrhea. Took to Vet-Results - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Chance still w/diarrhea. Took to Vet-Results

Last night Chance still had diarrhea. Granted it was only 2x he went yesterday, but it still was not improving so I was starting to think this had nothing to do with his salsa tasting episode.
Took him to this vet whom I have not met before today.
First let me say she is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! I love her, the staff and how they took care of my boy.
She had me go into a room where there was no exam table. The vet and her helper both sat on the floor cooing over Chance telling him how adorable he was, kisses galore and a couple of treats were given to him.
He was eating all of it up too! (both attention and treats)
I remarked that I have never seen a vet be like that with a dog and she replied with a smile saying, "Well, while he is thinking I am playing with him and giving him all kinds of love, I have been checking out his stomach"
She said to me she was guessing he had worms.
So while she was kissing his face, handing him another little treat, the vet assistant was sticking the tube up his doopah to get a stool sample. I saw absolutely no change in him. The tech could probably have shoved that thing up to the back of his throat and he wouldn't have minded.
10 minutes later the results were in.
Chance has whip and round worm. So she gave me meds for him to take care of it, told me how to get rid of the poop he has done so far and then said she wanted to wait to do the neutering, etc until next week when he is better.
So next Thursday he is getting his rabies, neutering, teeth cleaned, micro chipped and also going to have the genetic testing done to see what his mix really is as well as anything with health.
Another bonus?
My vet does obedience classes and will be starting one within the month. She does positive reinforcement with her teaching.
I REALLY like this woman!

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

You need to spray some bleach where he does go after you clean it up.

I've read that those genetic tests are not very accurate.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I've heard that the genetic tests are inaccurate as well.

So glad it's just worms, though; and not anything serious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I had a foster with a pretty bad whipworm infestation. Like Jax mentioned, I bleached where I could after he went. I was afraid I was going to have to bleach my whole yard which doesn't have much grass at this point to begin with but I didn't have too. My foster continued to have diarrhea for a week or two during the first round of treatment and was thirsty alot. Luckily, Raven's monthly heartworm preventative also treats whipworm (not all do) and she never go it.

Hope Chance starts to feel better soon!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
You need to spray some bleach where he does go after you clean it up.

I've read that those genetic tests are not very accurate.
Where did you hear the tests are inaccurate from? My vet seemed to think they are great especially with seeing things in regards to health.
Also, I had asked her about spraying bleach. Bleach doesn't touch whipworm. I have to bury the stools. Whipworms are pretty resistant to nature, chemicals etc.
As she said, "Those can be real bastards"

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I had a foster with a pretty bad whipworm infestation. Like Jax mentioned, I bleached where I could after he went. I was afraid I was going to have to bleach my whole yard which doesn't have much grass at this point to begin with but I didn't have too. My foster continued to have diarrhea for a week or two during the first round of treatment and was thirsty alot. Luckily, Raven's monthly heartworm preventative also treats whipworm (not all do) and she never go it.

Hope Chance starts to feel better soon!
Yeah, she put Chance on Interceptor.
He is acting fine other than the diarrhea. Not eating a whole lot though. She said that will change as the worms start leaving.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMarie59 View Post
Bleach doesn't touch whipworm. I have to bury the stools. Whipworms are pretty resistant to nature, chemicals etc.
As she said, "Those can be real bastards"
Everything I read about whipworms said to bleach the area and for severe infestations, a soil transplated may be required. I would think burying the stool would keep the yard infected?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Everything I read about whipworms said to bleach the area and for severe infestations, a soil transplated may be required. I would think burying the stool would keep the yard infected?
I didn't go into the entire conversation I had with her, so I did a quick version,.

She said one of the ways to get rid of it was to bury it, but it needs at LEAST 6" of soil put on top.
Other than that, I need to use a shovel scoop up not only the stools, but the area surrounding it and dispose of.
I am more fortunate due to him going in the same spot each time and it is on dirt, not grass.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:58 PM

That makes sense!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Master Member

Make sure you Panacur at LEAST at day one and day 75. Personally, I would panacur at day 30 or so in addition to that.

Whipworms

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page