Chance and House Breaking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Chance and House Breaking?

I am guessing that maybe this guy having been used to peeing whenever he felt like it, is the reason why he wants to go out and pee every 2-3 hours.
I will let him out at night before bed (9-10pm) and he will be whining come 1 am.
During the day he doesn't whine to be let outside, but he will start pacing and keep standing by the glass doors looking outside.
Has he lifted his leg inside since that 1 time on my silk plant?
No, but who is the one trained here? I am wondering if it is more like in the cartoon below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i080213famcirc.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	5948  

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Banned

Was he a kennel dog? He will build up his bladder resistance over time. Habits are hard to break but not impossible. Good luck and hang in there.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Was he a kennel dog? He will build up his bladder resistance over time. Habits are hard to break but not impossible. Good luck and hang in there.
Pat,
Chance and another dog were tied up out in a backyard 24/7. So he has had 2-3 yrs of going whenever he wanted.

What I am planning on starting today is to mark down the time Chance has gone out, and extend the time in gradual increments.
So, let's say he acts like he has to go out again in 3 hours. After that will be 3 hours 15 mins, and so on. Train him to hold his bladder.
This is the only thing I can think of to try.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 AM

I think that's a great idea! Chance is very lucky to have found such a smart and caring owner.

Thor von Ryanhaus - GSD - 7/20/10, S.T.A.R Puppy, CGC
Kona - Rottie/Hound mix - rescued 5/9/09
Playing at The Bridge:
Akira - Bullmastiff - 4/1/03 -4/8/09
Rappex - GSD - 8/15/02 - 8/7/10
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMarie59 View Post
What I am planning on starting today is to mark down the time Chance has gone out, and extend the time in gradual increments.
So, let's say he acts like he has to go out again in 3 hours. After that will be 3 hours 15 mins, and so on. Train him to hold his bladder.
This is the only thing I can think of to try.
That sounds like a great plan.

As far as the 1am trips, are you restricting water after a certain time? My dogs don't get anymore water after they've had their last potty for the night.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
That sounds like a great plan.

As far as the 1am trips, are you restricting water after a certain time? My dogs don't get anymore water after they've had their last potty for the night.
Oh yeah on the water pulled up. That started on Day 2.

He was out at 1AM then was acting like his bladder was going to explode at 4:10AM

At about 7:15 AM or so, he started his pacing around the house, going to the back door, running back in the kitchen, so on and so forth.
I grabbed his lead and put him in a down/stay by me while I was doing things on the puter, and he laid here acting fine and even fell asleep.
I waited until about 7:45, took off his lead and asked him if he wanted outside.
Then he went outside, he did his business and came right back in.
He has been kind of running me ragged not knowing when he really had to go, when he just wanted to play and roll around in the snow out there, etc.
So I am going to start having scheduled play time/walks outside and then after that..too bad buddy!
I am not going to let him squirm. When I did the down stay with him this morning, he seemed okay and was wagging his tail, then dropped off to sleep.
If he was still acting agitated, I wouldn't have had him wait so long.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

If he has to go that often, you might want to have your vet check him for a UTI of some kind. Just to be sure. I think he's going in later this week for a bunch of stuff, so you might mention it to his vet.
Mine generally go 7-8 hours overnight with no problem. Once in a great while they'll come and wake one of us, but that doesn't happen much.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
If he has to go that often, you might want to have your vet check him for a UTI of some kind. Just to be sure. I think he's going in later this week for a bunch of stuff, so you might mention it to his vet.
Mine generally go 7-8 hours overnight with no problem. Once in a great while they'll come and wake one of us, but that doesn't happen much.
You know, I was wondering about that myself.
Doing the "what ifs?"
My gut feeling is no, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. So thanks I will add that to my list for the vet.

There have been way too many times that he would be acting like OMG!! and I would run to the door to let him out, he'd RUN to the backyard and then just stand there looking at the sky or whatever. Then his rolling around totally acting insane in the snow would start.

He is such a goof.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Crowned Member

Look at the bright side, at least ONE of you is getting trained.....LOL.

We've had about 2 inches or so of snow overnight and my dogs love the snow. I heard the wife let them out before she went to work around 5:45. At 6:30 they came in the bedroom (I was awake, watching the news) and starting doing their "potty dance".
I told them to go lay down and they both went to their beds and that was the last of that.
You'll figure him out.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
Look at the bright side, at least ONE of you is getting trained.....LOL.
HAR
HAR

You so funny...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page