Chance and something that ripped my heart out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Chance and something that ripped my heart out

As it is Friday night, my son always brings home pizza and we'll watch something on the TV.
Well Chance of course is sniffing the air and most likely wondering what that good smell was.
Matt and I sat down on the couch and Chance came walking up going right towards the pizza box.
This is the first time I said firmly (not loudly) "No!"
Chance actually started batting his eyes (almost scrunching his face) like you would when something is being thrown or squirted at your face and took 3 steps back.
OMG! I thought I was about to cry! Matt even noticed saying "Oh Mom, did that SOB throw things at him??"
I got up and went right to the kitchen to give him a cookie treat telling him that he was a good boy. I got his one toy he liked and put it on his bed matteress that is still in front of the F.P and he laid down and didn't come near the table again seeming content.
Okay, Chance is going to have to hear the word No again in his lifetime.
How do I handle the future No's with him where he doesn't think something is going to be flung at him? How can you undo that damage?
The other day when he lifted his leg, I had said No, but it was followed immediately with "outside" and granted, I didn't see his faceas I was too busy getting him out the backdoor.
I may have done everything wrong here with giving him a treat, but honestly, I was really taken back by his reaction and it is KILLING me inside that he actually thought that something was going to be thrown at him.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

He needs to be told "no" sometimes. It won't take him long to learn that you would never hurt him. Chance has a GREAT Mom.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Whenever I told him No, I would immediately follow it with a simple command so I could give him a great treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Whenever I told him No, I would immediately follow it with a simple command so I could give him a great treat.
Well then maybe he thought when I was saying "Come here Baby" and he followed me that he got a reward then LOL.

I wasn't thinking too clearly. All I know is I NEVER want to see that happen with his face again.

Sigh...I better get with that new trainer like NOW before I start screwing things up here. I know I can screw him up worse if I baby him. Kind of hard though to be honest with you all.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
He needs to be told "no" sometimes. It won't take him long to learn that you would never hurt him. Chance has a GREAT Mom.
You are so nice, thanks

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Crowned Member

My new trainer told me to use "Oops" instead of "No" because you can't say "Oops" in a mean way. Find another word for "No".

He's a happy dog. You won't have problems training him.

Definitely do NOT baby him. If he is cowering, DO NOT say it's ok or come here baby. You are telling him it is Ok to cower and be afraid.

Teach him "Leave It". It can be a game. Drop a piece of somethign on the floor. Have a better treat in your hand. I kept my foot close to the piece on the floor so I could cover it when Jax went for it. When he goes for the piece, cover it with your foot. When he looks at you, give him the piece of you have in your hand while saying Yes! (as a marker). If he is trying to get the piece under your foot, just patiently wait him out. As soon as he leaves it alone, treat him. Once he is consistently leaving the piece on the floor, add Leave It when he looks at it, and reward when he turns away from it.

Leave It applies to everything! Chasing a cat? Leave it! Licking the pizza box? Leave It!

I love that command!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

One thing that I've heard from those that rehab dogs, don't think about what was done to them in the past....just look to the future.
Chance has a great temperament and you'll do just fine with him.
He is one lucky pup to have been brought into your life!!

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
One thing that I've heard from those that rehab dogs, don't think about what was done to them in the past....just look to the future.
Chance has a great temperament and you'll do just fine with him.
He is one lucky pup to have been brought into your life!!
Jane, you're right. However, this was the first thing I truly saw with him that made me think of his past and wondering WTH??! I just said to someone today that I thought for some weird reason he was the one who wasn't beaten and the anger must have been focused towards Nick since this guy really is not showing anything.
UNTIL this.

I don't know how to handle things like this when they arise. We had a Lab that we raised from 8 weeks old until she was 16. She never flinched, had no issues other than her own weirdo-ness.
This reminds me a bit like I had felt after giving birth to my first child. That protective feeling and nervousness that you need to do everything right.
I know..he is a dog, but I am a bit surprised at how much I already adore this guy. He is so sweet and gentle. Even when we rough house together, his teeth hardly even touch me. You can tell he is so careful not to hurt me.
Sigh..

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My new trainer told me to use "Oops" instead of "No" because you can't say "Oops" in a mean way. Find another word for "No".

He's a happy dog. You won't have problems training him.

Definitely do NOT baby him. If he is cowering, DO NOT say it's ok or come here baby. You are telling him it is Ok to cower and be afraid.

Teach him "Leave It". It can be a game. Drop a piece of somethign on the floor. Have a better treat in your hand. I kept my foot close to the piece on the floor so I could cover it when Jax went for it. When he goes for the piece, cover it with your foot. When he looks at you, give him the piece of you have in your hand while saying Yes! (as a marker). If he is trying to get the piece under your foot, just patiently wait him out. As soon as he leaves it alone, treat him. Once he is consistently leaving the piece on the floor, add Leave It when he looks at it, and reward when he turns away from it.

Leave It applies to everything! Chasing a cat? Leave it! Licking the pizza box? Leave It!

I love that command!
Ooh, thanks! I am writing this down now. I like that!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

I would use a different word for NO, in Schutzhund most people use either Nein or Pfui (nyne / pfoo-ee).

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page