Chance and what I am seeing in first 3 days - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Chance and what I am seeing in first 3 days

3 days since adoption of Chance. For new readers here on my guy, he is 2-3 yrs old, was a removal from a home. Outside his entire life, possible beatings as the other dog who was with him had in fact been.

So far these are thing I am seeing with him.

Going outside to relieve himself.....

Same bush to pee on, same spot to poop at, then he uses his back feet to cover it. He sure is making it easy for cleanup out there!
Lifted his leg once inside the house, which I find amazing in itself since he has never been an inside dog. I was really prepared for much worse!
However, it was on a silk plant I had and that has since been thrown out.

NOTE TO SELF: no trees, plants, etc for at least a year in the house.

He is not skittish about things. When he does show a "concern" about a noise due to the heat pump kicking on, he gets over it immediately and from then on is fine with particular thing/noise.

Fine with people so far. Took him to the groomer and she commented on how well he was with other dogs, strangers and even the blow dryer.

Seems to love my 22 yr old son Matt almost as much as he shows affection for me. However, Chance tends to follow me more around the house or lays near me when I am on the puter, which is a lot since I work out of our home.

HOWEVER! He is showing definite protectiveness in our home. When Matt came home from work yesterday, he came up to the back door which is halfway with glass. I was standing right there at the kitchen sink, but Matt being silly knocked anyways.
Chance went NUTS. Let me say, just at the point Matt was starting to knock, Chance had seen him so it happened really at the same time.
Honestly, if I had gone to someone's house and their dog was barking at me like Chance was doing, I'd ask them to put him away or I would leave.
I was a bit surprised and told Matt to wait a minute. I then turned to Chance and said it was Okay and Shhh. In a firm but not loud tone.
I went to open the door and the barking got a bit more intense. So I told Matt once again to hold on, I turned to Chance and said the same thing.
Then once my son walked in, I told him to greet Chance with a nice sounding voice. Chance pretty much instantly was okay and was wagging his tail, then he followed Matt to his bedroom for a bit.
I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up with a start at 4 am. I had passed out and hadn't put Chance in his bed the night before. Chance was curled up on the floor in front of me. When I leaned over to say good morning to him I was greeted back with 2 very happy licks to my face, then a dancing of "Can I go outside please?!"
Found an obedience training place that is 10 minutes from me. I am very cautious however and am planning on going there today with Chance to see how they are, their method of training, etc.
I am concerned that since I am at home alot, this may set Chance up to be "Protector of All" with me, and I do not want that to happen.
So aside from obedience training, I plan to every day take him somewhere with a controlled type setting.
Example. The pet store I went to the other day before my trip, I need to go back to today. I am calling the owner Dennis to let him know I am coming and to please have a HEALTHY treat available for Chance when he meets him.
I find Chance to be quite intelligent, not hyper, but a good amount of energy, willingness to please and I think will excel with training.
Even though he has known nothing but being chained up outside his entire life so far, he prefers being inside. The only time he gives me a harder time is when I am outside with him and he thinks playtime with me should be going on a lot longer than I do.
Other than that, he does his business and runs straight back to the door to be let in.
He also does not bolt. Amanda at the shelter was concerned about him trying to bolt out of the house, car, etc.
Though he is eager to get outside, or out of the truck, he listens to me when I tell him to stay and doesn't try to push past me.

Overall, he has a LOT less issues than I was preparing myself for.
I am also saying these words cautiously as I know things could always change.

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

In our memories and hearts always
Duchess 1989-2005 Labrador Ret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Knighted Member

sound like you have the perfect doggy! He will be forever greatful for saving him

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

WOW, he sounds wonderful and just has to get used to the 'new' home with the 'new' rules. Just continue to be firm with the leadership and guidance.

Make sure you are adding tons of car time, new places and new people OUTSIDE the home so he doesn't accidentally get too homebound and protective. The entire world is a new and wonderful place WITH YOU!

PICTURES! Where are the PICTURES!????

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
WOW, he sounds wonderful and just has to get used to the 'new' home with the 'new' rules. Just continue to be firm with the leadership and guidance.

Make sure you are adding tons of car time, new places and new people OUTSIDE the home so he doesn't accidentally get too homebound and protective. The entire world is a new and wonderful place WITH YOU!

PICTURES! Where are the PICTURES!????
Here you go!!
"This Dog is Clean!" Chance is back from groomer

Chance, GSD mix. Had a Corgi head transplant when younger. 2-3 yrs old. Adopted from shelter 01-25-2011

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Knighted Member

It is time for NEW pictures, Eileen! Those are 24 hours old!!!

(yes, I am a PITA, I LOVE seeing pictures of this boy)

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post

sigh..I am already failing as a new dog owner

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmasMom View Post

More pics more pics more pics.

I'm so glad things are going so well.
I've said it before, but the best dog I've ever known came from a shelter and was, like Chance, abused before we got him.
I miss him every day.

Anyway, we need more pictures.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
More pics more pics more pics.

I'm so glad things are going so well.
I've said it before, but the best dog I've ever known came from a shelter and was, like Chance, abused before we got him.
I miss him every day.

Anyway, we need more pictures.
is there an easier way to do an album than photobucket?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

3 days isn't very long. He'll get used to things eventually. Sounds like a good boy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

You can do the attachments, like before.

I also go to MY PROFILE and add an album there. Then you can use the insert image icon on the reply section. (It looks like a little postcard, under the paperclip)

When you select that, you will get a box that says to insert URL for image.
Put in the URL of the photo you want to add from your profile album.
(I usually have 2 sessions of the forum open and just go back and forth and cut and paste)

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but it's hard to "script" the instructions for this. It's easier to talk someone through or show them.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page