Bear - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Bear

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share Bear's story with you.

I've only had Bear about 2 months, so I have his story still clear in my head.

I live in Alaska, so in the winter months, the nights are long and cold, and the people up here can be just the same.

When I first heard about Bear from the family, I immediately went over there to see him. See, a friend of mine got him from a breeder down in Kenai. And when she passed away about 8 months ago, she left Bear with her family, who had a sled dog team in the back (about 12 dogs), 5 other small indoor dogs, and at least 5 children all under the age of 16.

Bear was kept out in the garage with a doggy door to go out to the yard to use the restroom. After she died, he was never allowed in the house.

I recieved a call one day, from her family, saying how if I didn't take him, he was going to be put down due to the fact of them not wanting them in a shelter.

When I arrived to the house, Bear was emaciated, cold, but loved the children who they brought out to play with him while I was there. I was unsure about bringing another shepherd into my life, because, Shelby, the shepherd I had had for 15 years, had passed away about 2 months before. He was amazing. Gentle, smart, and full of wanted to please the people he was around. I, of course, took him on the spot. I have a house with a huge backyard, and have a roommate with a dog whom Bear is absolutely attached too.

Bear has come so far from what he was. He had no idea what toys were, how to play with other dogs, or how to be a indoor dog to just get fed and loved on all day long.

I work with Bear everyday, from walking on the leash, to tricks, to behavioral things. He's become a great companion and loving friend. I take him everywhere I can with me, including the local dog park to the beach that he can run down and chase the magpies that constantly elude him.

He has become such a happy dog and a great friend, I can't even imagine my life without him now. He has healed the wound that Shelbys loss left on my heart, and actually motivated me to start losing the weight I have so long talked about losing. He still has those puppy traits, he's still only a year old, but I embrace everything. And I'm happy to give him a forever home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 AM

That is such a wonderful story! Thank you SO much for sharing! Congrats to both Bear and yourself!

Danielle
Director
Furlife German Shepherd Rescue
Charleston, SC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owned by too many
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Master Member

I just Love Happy Stories !!! Congrats to you and your new friend Bear !

I so hope there is a Doggie Heaven !!!

Princess - mini GSD
Jason - GSD/mix
Sheba - GSD/mix
Charlie - GSD/Dane
Max - GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Knighted Member

Yay! Great story, you each served a wonderful purpose for the other!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Knighted Member

This Thanksgiving will have extra special meaning for you and Bear! Thank you for sharing your story, and congratulations to you both - for finding each other.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

Congratz on Bear and saving his life! I think you were ment to be together..... you now will always have the support of each other. It was fate! Very sweet story thank you for sharing and I hope the both of you have a very Happy 1st Thanksgiving together.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Great story! I think your wonderful for taking in Bear. I'm sure he will give you all his love, for saving him from what sounded like a bad place for him to be.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Where's the tissue darn it?

Great story and wonderful that you gave Bear a warm and loving home. Best wishes!

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."- Eleanor Roosevelt
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

another shepherd with a forever home and lots of love. thank you so much.

and welcome to the board. we love pictures!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

Congrats! That was a great story! I love a happy ending!! You really were his guardian angel!

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page