Springfield, MO, adult f b/t, to rescue stories for more updates! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Springfield, MO, adult f b/t, to rescue stories for more updates!

As I understand it, this shelter lists 'stray dogs in holding' such as this poor soul as 'Lost/Found'. 'Lost/found' is not visible to adopters searching on Petfinder, so these dogs' only chance is rescue. Looks like the shelter only works with rescues, but two local rescues can pull for individual adopters.

Lost / Found German Shepherd Dog: 1351: Petfinder

1351 - Lost/Found
German Shepherd Dog

Large Adult Female Dog Pet ID: 1351

More About 1351

aco pickup on request near 2100 s weller on 08-25-2010. 60lbs

My Contact Info
Posted on SITUATIONS REQUIRING IMMEDIATE ATTENTION - KY_CENTRAL today:

Halfway Home is the main rescue that pulls from this shelter. They are not affiliated with the shelter in anyway. The shelter only works with rescues. They have attitude when it comes to the public as they don't deal with them on any level. If you are interested in any of the dogs in this shelter, please contact Latichia Duffy at Halfway Home Rescue at [email protected] or Dianas Grove at [email protected]. Both of these rescues will pull a dog for an adopter!

Halfway Home Rescue's petfinder page for additional contact information: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MO508.html
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE CONFUSED, THIS IS NOT HALFWAY HOME SHELTER IN KANSAS CITY MO!!!

Springfield-Greene County Animal Control
Springfield, MO

Springfield MO: Heart Stick Shelter

************************************************** ********************************
POSTED 8/28 ~ Dogs that are not on stray hold can be PTS on Wednesday or Fridays.

If you are a 501(3)c rescue or have your MO Dept. of Agriculture License, you can contact the facility directly to tag a dog:

Email for rescues: [email protected] Or [email protected] OR [email protected]
FOR OUT OF STATE RESCUES THAT WOULD LIKE A DOG PULLED AND BOARDED UNTIL TRANSPORT PLEASE CONTACT LATICHIA DUFFY AT HALFWAY HOME RESCUE IN CLINTON MO: [email protected]

Animals in the "Currently Housed" are still on stray hold and not available for release until their 5 day hold is up. Once they are moved to the "Our Adoptable" list they are considered urgent!

FKA RunSarahRun
Chip v. Dog Pound (border terrier), CGC
Elly v. Rescue (GSD, GSRNE 346), HI(C), CGC, TT
RIP: Feli, Iris, Dago (GSDs), Bubi (spitz), Tanja and Robin (mutts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

Well, that made me cry. I will see if she can be pulled by rescue. I don't know where she is as far as the stray hold status time. Hopefully she is in good enough shape to be "reclaimed".
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you, Samba. If there could be help on the way...

The shelter's web page Springfield-Greene County Health Department - Animal Control has much information, just checked it. They seem to work hard to place dogs in rescue, and they do check rescue organizations. Downloaded the pdf for rescue organizations under 'Common Questions'. On holding time:

"Dogs found running at large must be held for at least five days and this must include a weekend before they are eligible for rescue. Owner-surrendered animals are available for rescue immediately. Because of the small size of our shelter the maximum time we will hold an animal for a rescue organization is 10 days from the date the animal was impounded."

Since it says she was found on the 25th, she would only have until Monday the 30th, plus another five days if a rescue works on pulling her.

This pdf also states that C.A.R.E., one of the two local rescue organizations the shelter works with, typically comes in on Fri and Mon afternoons to tag dogs for pull, so they will have seen her on Friday afternoon and have some information on how she presents. Shelter also has an attending vet listed.

This one brought me to tears, too. The suffering, and also the indignity. Poor dear dog.

FKA RunSarahRun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

PS Says that pts dates are Wed and Fri, so she has until Wed.
She should be available for rescue on Monday the 30th when her 5 days are over.

FKA RunSarahRun
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 AM

I wish i lived closer so i could take her home to live with me.She look's so depressed,it's as if she has given up on life.Linzi
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah, she made me cry again this morning! What is that??
Surely my husband will cry about another dog in the house too!

I heard from a rescue that can pull. I will have to work out how to pick her up. I have a busy week and then a trip to Michigan on Labor Day. My DH is going to kiiiillll, me.

I hope she is a good dog that can find a permanent home. I can't keep her as mine.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Knighted Member

Thank you Samba! - heartstick is a horrible way to die, so you will be saving this sweet older gal from a very unpleasant fate. Good luck on getting her out.....

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

We can help with stuff...

Not your husband probably...but...other things like app forms, home check and screening info...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Let us hope this sad pound gets a new life... just saw this today

Springfield, MO Animal Control/City Council - Please Share Far and Wide
by Kristy Ritter on Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 6:01pm
After a long conversation Monday night with Latichia from Halfway Home Rescue in Clinton, MO, I found out that the letters and emails that everyone has been writing has caught the attention of the city council, enough to make them take notice. They had a meeting with a group of rescues and wanted to get their opinions and what options they thought the shelter has. THEY EVEN WENT TO THE SHELTER TO SEE FOR THEIR OWN EYES!!!! The decision was made that there needs to be a new shelter built where they could change their policies, possibly becoming a public adoption shelter. This is all still in the "talk" stages as funding is the biggest obsticle. They are going to be looking into grants to help with a new shelter. IF anyone has dealings with grant writing or working on grants your help would be greatly appreciated!! Please email me at [email protected] if you are able to help.
For the time being, everyone please keep emailing/writing to the city council to keep the shelter fresh on their mind. Please, please, please be respectful when writing/emailing. Threatening or violent letters won't help the cause.
Here are the city council members email addresses:
MAYOR Jim O'Neal: [email protected]
Nick Ibarra (Zone 1): [email protected]
Cindy Rushefsky (Zone 2): [email protected]
Jerry Compton (Zone 3): [email protected]
Scott Bailes (Zone 4): [email protected]
Bob Stephens (General A): [email protected]
John Rush (General B): [email protected]
Doug Burlison (General C): [email protected]
Dan Chiles (General D, Mayor Pro Term): [email protected]

The above mentioned people are the ones that are going to make the difference in getting this shelter changed. Please every letter counts and YOUR VOICE NEEDS TO BE HEARD!!!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Samba thank you.
I hope you are able to get this girl out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page