14 yo female GSD Charleston, SC adopted, moved to rescue stories - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Talking 14 yo female GSD Charleston, SC adopted, moved to rescue stories

Please note that Furlife German Shepherd Rescue has taken this girl in and now we need help placing her. She is currently in boarding. She is fine with all animals. VERY sweet girl! Unfortunatly we took her in because we could not stand to see her put down, now, we need to place her because if something serious happens, we will not have the funds to support her because we have several other dogs in rescue right now. It was a last minute decision because the owner was going to have her put down asap. Please help us! You can email us at [email protected]. I am not quite sure of how to post her pictures so I dont know if they wll post correctly. Below is the bio from her previous owner:

Roxy is a spayed female German Shepherd about 12-14 years old (according to the vets at Sangaree Animal Hospital where she gets her care) whom I adopted in 2002 from a coworker in Annapolis MD when he had to move into housing that did not permit pets. He had obtained Roxy from the Anne Arundel County animal shelter. Her history before that time is unknown to me. I believe she was subject to good training as a young dog. The reason I am seeking a home for her is that I am due to be transferred to the Middle East in the very near future and will be there for two years. There is no place for Roxy in that environment. I spent 2008 in the Middle East and Roxy stayed with a foster family during that time. Unfortunately that family is not in a position to care for Roxy this time. While I do not think Roxy is a good candidate for adoption due to her age, she is a sweet dog who deserves to live the rest of her life well supported in comfort and safety. If those conditions could not be assured then I think the only other option would be euthanasia, a most undesirable choice.

Other than the expected fragility of old age Roxy is generally healthy according to the vet, who performed an extensive evaluation, with labs, not long ago. Several years ago she developed some urinary incontinence, treated successfully with Proin twice a day. The Proin was stopped several months ago and the urinary problem did not return. She is continent for up to 12 hours, which is pretty amazing, I think. Her bowel movements are regular, and she is very good about notifying me when she needs to go out. She is a restless night sleeper, often getting up and padding around the house before settling in one location or another. She is not destructive of furniture or personal property. She has been known to forage in kitchen trash, however, so I learned early on to use a stainless steel trash can with a lid, and though she knows how to depress the lever to operate the lid, she has not disturbed the contents of the can. During the day, when I am at work, Roxy is at home, confined in the dining area, which is pretty spacious. She had been crated by her previous owner and apparently tolerated that well. She eats Blue Buffalo sweet potato and fish formula dry food (1 scoop twice a day) as she had been bothered by dermatitis some years back; she does not have dermatitis now, though she has two lesions on her left hind leg from licking, that the vet has evaluated. My husband got her started on having a raw chicken liver atop her food twice a day and she loves that. She takes Heartgard monthly and also Comfortis for flea prevention. I must note that she cannot climb a full flight of stairs easily, though she can go up a few, such as up to a front door.

Roxy has never been playful, ever. In her younger days she would try to chase squirrels while out walking, but she doesn't do that now. She walks slowly but deliberately, and seems to enjoy walks. She gets along with small dogs extremely well (there have been miniature Dachshunds and a miniature Pinscher in the house in the past), and she has lived with cats quite peaceably all her days with me. I do not know if she has ever been around small children, so I cannot tell how she would behave. I do not let neighborhood children come near her on walks as I am not sure how she would handle that. She used to bark at strangers and odd noises, but she does not do that now. She is quite docile in her current environment.

I can't say that Roxy is overtly loving in her behavior, though I get the sense that she likes me. She makes eye contact and I swear I have seen her smile at times. I know that sounds crazy, but that's what it looked like. She likes to be petted and she seems to ejoy going to the groomer (we use PetSmart). She is calm at the vet and gets along with everyone. She likes to ride in the car, though she has to be lifted in and out now. Needless to say she is current on all vaccinations.

In short, I have enjoyed her company these past eight years and she has been a good dog. I would not want her to have pain or discomfort or any harshness of any kind. I think she might be well-suited for an older couple who wanted a mature and well-behaved dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30948_125212837490271_124928830852005_321571_5550358_s.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1637  

Danielle
Director
Furlife German Shepherd Rescue
Charleston, SC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owned by too many
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Is there another rescue that can step up and help with this girl? She is such a wonderful girl and does not need to be in boarding Any helpful ideas would be great!

Danielle
Director
Charleston, SC

Owned by too many
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

*** This is now becoming urgent, our boarding facility that has been fantastic with working with us has now run out of room and we need to get her moved SOON! Someone please help us with her. She is SUCH a sweet girl! Anyone know of anyone that could take in a senior?

Danielle
Director
Charleston, SC

Owned by too many
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

Any updates on this poor girl?

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Any updates on this poor girl?
Pending adoption

If all references check out....she will be on transport next weekend to her forever home! I am sure Danielle will chime in here with another update soon.

Go Roxy!

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Knighted Member

Hooray! Good luck to you Roxy, hope you have a wonderful retirement!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with her "new owner"yesterday and she will be overnighting me an application and also the adoption agreement. I need to do a vet reference and also her personal reference checks. She volunteers with GSR-SE so she has many references she is giving me for them. I am hoping everything works out. Roxy is such a wonderful girl. She lays around the house with the other 6 pack members and she doesn't have a worry in the world about them. She is SO SWEET! Gosh the seniors just kill me :*) I will update once I confirm more info.

Thank you!

Danielle
Director
Charleston, SC

Owned by too many
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Elite Member

I know Roxy's prospective adopter....and if approved...she will have a wonderful home!!!
WooHoo!

CAMP PAPPY
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 AM

Wow this is great! I hate to see any dog in need of rescue but the seniors get me bad, they gave so much for so long they dont deserve to be left behind.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

No, they dont deserve to be left behind, but the sad fact is that they are :*(. Her new owner is very excited and she will hopefully be on transport not this saturday but next. We are very happy for her as she has the perfect home for her to retire in. I am VERY excited for her!!!!! She deserves it! SUCH a great and SWEET dog!!

Danielle
Director
Charleston, SC

Owned by too many
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page