LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Clarks Summit, PA- Trapper - M B/T 3 y adopted

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter
967 Griffin Pond Rd
Clarks Summit PA 18411
(570)586-3700

Trapper is a big boy that loves hugs and loves to jump up to give you a kiss! He came into the shelter as a stray. Griffin Pond set a trap in a yard where he was hanging out. The property owner says he's been there since April 2009. His body condition was really good. Exceptionally so if he's been a stray for that long. He was definitely outside as his coat is rough.

I think he needs a strong leader to teach him some manners. He is intact and I would say 80 lbs? He's not as big as Nero but still a good size. He wants to please and will bond quickly with whoever his people are. We were with him for at least two hours and when I handed the leash to Mary Ann to go to my car he was watching me go with that "Hey! Don't leave me!" look.

We took him into the yard to play and get some energy out. He loves tennis balls! He wasn't so keen on bringing them back to you once he got it but would tell you all about it if he put it down and wanted it thrown again. I easily took the ball out of his mouth and could lean over him to pick it up off the ground.

A shelter workers son was out in the yard throwing cubes of ice and Trapper had to check that out. He went over, decided it wasn't anything he wanted to chase and came back to us. Her husband was there and played with him too. He would sit and wait for the ball to be thrown, catch it in the air or chase it across the yard. Unfortunately, it bounced off his nose and we almost took Mary Ann out while she was taking the first video. Oops!! Sorry Batman!!!!

He is definitely a lover. Whenever we would kneel to pet him he would lean into us trying to get closer. However, he did not lean on us when standing or walking in a dominant manner.

He was still pretty wound up when we took him out for a walk but quickly calmed down and walks beautiful on a leash! Nice loose leash and stayed beside me. He could give Jax some lessons!! He walked nicely with Jax once he settled in. He kept looking to make sure they were still there. He walked behind her without pulling. We passed each other and he just looked at her. He wanted to give her a kiss but he moved to quickly and startled her so she headed for cover behind Mary Ann. He jumped on my car and was nose to nose with her without any aggression at all. He barked at the other dogs and watched them but I don't see anything that can't be worked with. He would walk the other way with me and I could get his concentration back on me. I think it's a matter of training and socialization.

We did not test him with male dogs but there were males outside and one that does not like other dogs went by while we were inside. We took Trapper up the stairs and stayed while that dog passed. Trapper had no reaction at all.

We were near a cage with two cats in it for quite some time and he was interested in other things. I'm not even sure he realized there were two cats 3 inches from his nose. When we went by another cage, he stopped and sniffed. Not much of a reaction until the cat hissed at him and stared him down. He barked and jumped at it and it did take a little effort for me to get him away from there. But we were also going back to his kennel at the time and he was not happy to be there so that could have been part of it.

I could take a ball out of his mouth. Actually, I could reach my whole hand in and take the ball. He was great! He took treats (slim jims) like a champ and I could take the treat back out of his mouth. He will sit for the ball or a treat and we got him to Down for a piece of slim jim also. I could check all his feet and lift his legs.

He has an injury to his left back leg. There is a large lump on his ankle. When we first had him out he did not want me to touch his back feet. He let out a little yelp and would turn quickly. He did not react badly, just in a way to tell us something wasn't right. After I had him out for a couple hours I could touch his feet. I feel that we just needed to earn his trust before handling sensitive spots. Karen lifted and rotated both back legs in an effort to find where it hurt him. He did pull some when she did his left leg but let us do it without a fuss. I must have stepped on his feet a dozen times accidentally when we were outside if he turned quickly and there was no reaction from him. We're pretty sure he has a UTI. He will not mess in his cage so he's holding it. He peed at least 4 times when we first went out and cried while he was going. Kate, shelter manager, is going to start him on antibiotic.

The injury seen in the pictures appears to be a rub. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I think he rubbed it in the trap. It's possible he hurt his other foot in the trap to and the swelling is just starting to appear now. I could feel it and put pressure on it without a reaction. I pushed on his rear to get him to sit a couple times and there was no sensitivity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Oh BOY, he is so tempting!!!!

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I know!!! I had to walk away from his kennel. I wanted to put him in my car and run! I love these big guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Elite Member

my hubs is probably driving right by him tonight. He has to drive to NY from Pittsburgh

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Stunning!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

He's a great guy!

I've been feeding him since he showed up on my property in April 2009. He wouldn't let anyone get close until very recently. Poor guy was terrified. He'd eat the food on the plate and then run back into the woods.

He and I have bonded, I visit him at the shelter every day. I'd be perfectly willing to take him if his original owners can't be found.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjthomas13 View Post
He's a great guy!

I've been feeding him since he showed up on my property in April 2009. He wouldn't let anyone get close until very recently. Poor guy was terrified. He'd eat the food on the plate and then run back into the woods.

He and I have bonded, I visit him at the shelter every day. I'd be perfectly willing to take him if his original owners can't be found.
So it sounds like you'll be reserving him and giving him a new home! GOOD FOR YOU!!!! Keep us updated. If he's been loose as long as you say, no tattoo or collar or chip, sounds like you've got a new dog!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 AM

I reserved him a few days after we brought him in. He's like a member of my family!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 AM

Thanks Michelle and Mary Ann for going to eval. him. He sounds great.
hjthomas13 it sounds like you are getting an awesome dog!!!! Thanks for taking care of him for so long.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Crowned Member

hjthomas13 thank you for taking care of this boy for so long. he is a gorgeous dog and a sweetie, he will make a great companion. Have you figured it out how to prevent him from taking off again - he will remain a risk - with the missing piece of fencing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page