Getting my stuff together- keeping Booker! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Getting my stuff together- keeping Booker!

Okay, I admit it. Taking on another dog was a little overwhelming at first and I panicked a little bit. Being by myself I had no one to stop me and I went off track a little. I'm okay now. Booker is adjusting and so are myself and Lainey. Our routine has them outside as much as possible (especially Booker because he is apparently used to it). Lainey hates sharing her toys but wants to play outside with him and she checks for him whenever she goes by his crate. He still doesn't enjoy going into his crate but once inside (after chasing a few treats), he is good. Loves chewing on bones of all kinds and is quiet. My vet checked him today and thinks he is a great dog, it's just going to take time to figure out what makes him tick. Oops- bad joke! Anyway, we are all still here and working on it. Thanks for letting me vent- I know there is plenty of company out there!

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Getting my stuff together- keeping Booker!

Been there, done that... It can be very stressful. Things will start settling down and once you get in a routine and are more comfortable with Booker, it will get easier quickly. Cats were my biggest problem. I have four and it was obvious Sammy had never been around them. One of my kitties has a neurological problem, so I was terrified that she was going to get hurt. But here we are 11 months later and she'll actually come out of hiding when she knows he's being calm. If he's in one of his wild child moods, she heads for her room. The other three cats can take care of themselves. He's been swatted too many times to count. It's just a game to him. No desire to hurt, but it's very hard to resist chasing those kitties! With my Murphy (17-1/2 year old sheltie mix) -- one look and he knew who the queen of the house was. Absolutely no problems between the two of them.

Best of luck to you and Booker and of course, Lainey. One of these days you'll look back and wonder why you ever questioned what you did. Pictures of Booker??? Actually, pictures of Lainey too???

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page