Please pray for Rasmund...having risky surgery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Please pray for Rasmund...having risky surgery

I just got an e-mail from Rasmund's new mom...she is in emergency surgery and needs prayers.

Many of you will remember her from July of last year...the black shepherd with horrible mange and HW. Pulled from Elizabethtown, NC. Here is her original thread: Rasmund's Thread

Long story short, she was spayed a couple of months ago...had to wait for the inflamation following HW treatment to subside. Anyhow, there was a complication during the spay...the vet could only remove one ovary...the other one was embedded in muscle mass, and there was no way to determine what it was wrapped around. The vet did as complete a spay as possible, and removed everything else. No clue as to how it got imbedded in the muscle, although they speculated that it could have been from some sort of previous physical trauma.

Rasmund's new mom has been researching what alternative measures are possible to correct this, as Rasmund will continue to have heat cycles.

Apparently, Rasmund now has a tumor or pyometra in the uterine stump that remains. The vets are preparing for surgery now, I am waiting to hear how it goes.

Here is the info from the e-mail. Her new mom is an absolutely wonderful woman, and I know she wil do everything possible as she loves Rasmund (aka Abby) dearly.
Quote:
Quote: <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Abby would not eat this morning, was drinking a lot of water, pacing and urinating a lot. She has been picking at her food for days, but would eat. Last evening when she had refused both breakfast and dinner she did finally and eagerly eat the brown rice and poached egg prepared for her. This morning she would eat nothing, was disinterested in anything. I called the vet and rushed her in.

She has a 2.5 degree rise in temperature. The did a ultra sound on her stomach and found a 10 centimeter mass which they believe is Pyometra -- a puss filled mass at the remaining part of the uteres. Fortunately, very fortunately, the surgeon was in when I arrived. He asked me if/what trauma had happened in that part of her body (the ovary/stomach area. He explained that in all of the surgeries that he has done in the area he has never seen such a fiberous attachment to the stomach wall.

I explained that neither you nor I knew her early history. He is very sympathetic toward Abby and was visably angry that someone would have physically caused this.

Ras-Abby is on IV antibiotics and fluids and will have surgery sometime soon.

The mass must be removed or she will die.

Of course, I approved surgery. Further I gave the surgeon the latitude to do as an aggressive surgery that he would attempt to try to save his own dog and to put her down on the table if necessary. Both Dr. Pelkey and the surgeon agree that she has about a 50% chance. The tricky issue is that the ovary is right at the artery. It all depends on whether or not it can be removed along with all of the mass.</span>
Rasmund has such a wonderful spirit, and although she had a very rough start to her life, she has the most gentle and loving temperment. Please pray that she gets a chance to enjoy a full life with her new family.

Veronica- proud mom to Turbo, TJ, Angel, Roxy and Jasmine
Volunteer/foster for GSRA
German Shepherd Rescue & Adoption

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Please pray for Rasmund...having risky surgery

hopefully her vet does laser surgery to reduce bleeding. fingers crossed!!!

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Knighted Member

Poor Rasmund. We're pulling for you sweet girl. Hang in there! Keep us posted Veronica.

Lori

Kaspar-10 yr WGSD
Nixie-8 yr GSD
Ayden-9 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Knighted Member

Sending prayers to Rasmund/Abby.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Absolutely remember Rasmund/Abby - sending lots of positive thoughts for Abby and her family and VSnap!

Darcy E. Drons
Intake Coordinator/Shelter Liaison
<span style="color: red">Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue Inc. ("BDBH")</span>
Email:

(work in progress)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Master Member

Thoughts and prayers out to Ras-Abby

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
dd
Crowned Member

I remember her so well. Best wishes for a successful surgery. Please update us when you can.

dd

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Knighted Member

Oh no V, thoughts and prayers to her and you!!! Glad her mom got her to the ER!

Keep us posted...call me if you need anything!

Sinclair
Director
Noble Shepherd Rescue

Ava:6 yr-GSD
Charly: 6 1/2 yr-GSD rescue
Apollo: 4 yr old foster: BLOG:

Raven: 1997-2007
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Knighted Member

I am praying for you and sending good thoughts your way from me and from Rin-stay strong.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Knighted Member

Please keep us up to date on what's going on-we are sending all of our healing energy to her. I don't know where in NC you are but I can certainly tell you if it weren't for NC State vets, my Rin would not be here now. I pray for the skill of your vet and for the strength you must show for her now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page