Hogan - A Retuned Rescue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Hogan - A Retuned Rescue

For the first time while working with my rescue group, a dog is being returned that I fostered. The dog's name is Hogan, and he was posted in the urgent rescue section several months ago, along with another dog named Harley.

Hogan went to a family with three kids, and has been great with the children, and protective of their youngest daughter who is handicapped and in a wheel chair. Unfortunately, the child has severe allegies, and could literally not breathe while Hogan was in the house. So Hogan was returned to me this AM by the kid's mother and while the children were in school.

I had a few questons I was going to ask her about the dog, but she started crying, and just said I am sorry I have to leave. However, she mentioned she would like her kids to visit Hogan beginning Saturday and I agreed. [b] Was this a mistake.

I tend to think this is not good for the dog, and Hogan will be adopted very quickly. He is a young, beautiful German Sheoherd male. Perhaps the best dog I have fostered in the past year.

If anyione from Wisconsin, Eastern Minnesota, Northern IL or the UP has any interest in Hogan please send me a personal E Mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Hogan - A Retuned Rescue

personally I wouldn't let them that will be tough on the dog in my opinion.

I am sure there will be better advice

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

Visitations would be unfair to the already traumatized dog. Others will have better answers than I. Bless you for fostering him, and wanting to ease things for this family's kids and Mom-- but the dog has had enough trauma. He doesn't understand, as it is, what is happening to him. He deserves a chance to relax and bond with his new family. Thank you for taking this boy in and giving him the quiet stability he now needs.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

I would not allow it, the poor dog has had enough stress already.
You can tell them that no visitation is a rescue policy (even if it is not) that you did not know about - just to preemt emotional blackmail.

They apparently had Hogan for a while and the allergies did not appear overnight. They could have fostered him until a new home was found for Hogan (if they really cared about him) so that he does not have to go into a foster home again before going to his new forever home. I am not sure that I buy the allergy story either.

On the long run it is better for the dog to be in a home that is truly committed to him. I don't think you have the whole story about this home. You never know people until something is not going smoothly.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like the visitation would be for the people's benefit but not the dog's and while I like helping people, I do feel like in rescue our priority is the dog's best interest at all times. If you like these people and feel like they're sincere, I would suggest saying no to the visit but offering to send them some pictures of Hogan first showing him happy and safe back in the foster home and later showing him happy and safe back in his adoptive home. That way she can share the pictures with the children and they won't be traumatized wondering where their dog disappeared to.

I know allergies are real things and affect lots of people but I agree with Rebel and can't tell you how many people I know who suddenly develop "allergies" overnight and want to turn in their dog with little or no notice. I saw this ALL the time at the shelter I worked at. In most cases the people just decided they didn't want a dog after all and felt "allergies" especially "child's allergies" was an excuse to dump the dog that didn't make them look bad. So are these folks telling the truth? I don't know. But in any case, the kids, like Hogan, are innocent victims, so perhaps by sharing pictures you could help them without stressing Hogan further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM

I find it interesting that mom returned the dog while the kids were in school. Did the kids even see it coming or did they just come home to an empty house? I can't imagine a kid having to give up their pet and being teased with the fact that they can go visit that pet, but it will never be a part of their family again. Something seems off.

Maria,

mom to "the boys"
Mac 12 y.o. GSD
Schultz 10 y.o GSD

SASRA volunteer
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM
dd
Crowned Member

Just want to add I agree with everyone else - visits are not a good idea. And I don't think you have the whole story on why the dog is being returned.

dd

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

I'd add to the chorus... the visitors are for the people's sakes. The dog is traumatized enough losing another home and it won't benefit him.

I wouldn't let them see the dog. Sorry...

Dena... with Katie, the Fraulein Doodlebug and Otto, my Sweet Potato-tah-toe
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

It sounds like she want the"benefit" of having a dog but none of the work that is involved.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I agree with everyone's response, except yours to a mild extent. I know the dog and the family, and the mom that dropped Hogan off this AM was so upset and crying she could barely talk. I also know she has a young daughter that is severally handicapped.

Normaly, I would agree, there might be a hidden agenda. Usually when our rescue group takes a dog, there are things that are not disclosed.

As for the visit from her kids; that was likely stupid on my part. It is not in the best intersts of the dog, but how do you say no to a handicapped child in a wheel chair.

The dog, Hogan, will never be posted in the rescue section again, and I suspect will find a forever home within a month or less.

A bad idea to allow this visit, yes. If I was adopting the dog I could care less. There kids could come out as often as they pleased. However, as a foster my response should have been no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page