SAFE! Operation Biscuit ! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

SAFE! Operation Biscuit !

I'm following up from the Urgent thread on Biscuit from earlier this month.

Biscuit, age 10, white, shelter favorite from Ohio. She was pulled from the shelter last weekend by a wonderful member of Echo Dogs. The shelter was pretty rough---low budget, doing the best they can but pretty primitive. Tommi, a GSD female, is still there....

Biscuit's temp foster mom took her home for the week and Ms. Biscuit was a love with her children, who camped out with her in the laundry room for the week. Poor girl is malnourished at 41 pounds! Definately a survivor! She is gentle, not protetive of food or toys and wants to please.

She is reactive with other dogs, not surprising given 10 weeks in the shelter.

Biscuit had 15 hours of tranpsort (THANK YOU ECHO!!!) on Saturday and arrived home with me in Cape Cod late Saturday night. She was very anxious and confused, overwhelmed by the house.

She slept quietly in a crate after it was clear that putting her in a nearby bedroom or bathroom was too much for her.

Yesterday she spent trying to settle. She eats like it's her last meal but is very polite--I can move her food dish, her treats, etc.
She sits VERY pretty for treats and has a beautiful little face with soft eyes.

She and my boy Aik are in the process of trying to get along. She is somewhat reactive and was nippy and barky at him. He gets fed up with it so they are being separated while they get used to the idea of each other. He is pouting bigtime with me and looks at me quite resentfully since she has arrived. He like to lay outside her crate and eat a rawhide, just to make his point. I put an end to that and he's not happy with me.

She doesn't walk well on a leash, barks and lunges, so we have to work on that. The house is still too overwhelming for her and she paces and whines. She does better when I keep her on her leash (now with harness!) around the house and this is easier for her.

We've had some snuggle time and she has finally felt comfortable enough to lounge in a dogbed eating a marrow bone, looking cozy. But if I get up to get something, she abandons the bone and follows me.

Today, she hung out with me while I got ready for work and was fascinated with her reflection in the mirror. She also channeled her silly self and found a toy and a sock to toss around, looking very pleased with herself.

Overall, she is trying hard to figure things out, but has a long way to go. She is most comfortable and relaxed in the crate where she feels safe. She's working on housebreaking and I need to keep a close eye on her, but she makes it all night without a peep.

She's getting her spay stitches out today and a bath is soon to follow!

Little Biscuit is quite the scrappy survivor. She brings some challenges with her, especially regarding other dogs, does not even know her name and is quite anxious. I think she misses the kids at her first foster home.

But her inner sweetness shines, and she is VERY smart. She will be a petite beauty in time.

My plan is to foster her, as I still have my heart set on a younger dog. She may be very adoptable, as she never got the memo that she is a senior and is VERY active and puppyish, and her bloodwork is tip top. She loves kids and would be happiest as an only dog. She likes men and women and isn't even afraid of the vacum!! This is in stark contrast to Aik, my big sable boy from a Sch. 3 champ, who thinks the vacum is the Messenger of Death and runs away. *sigh*

More to come.

Big thanks to Echo for taking us under their wing, and all the people who helped with transport, and especially Ginny and her family, who were Biscuit's first foster home, where she learned that doggie beds are for doggies!

Jennifer

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: SAFE! Operation Biscuit !

New pictures?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

thank YOU jennifer.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I took some last night on a friend's camera, he is going to show me this week how to get them from the camera in to my computer (yeah, you can tell I'm high-tech) and then....I have to figure out how to post them here. I *may* wait until after her bath tomorrow night. She has a pretty new purple/pink collar and the sweetest little face.

Is posting pictures hard?

Jennifer

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
dd
Crowned Member

No, it's not. It's easy, you just need to have a host for them.

Biscuit sounds just lovely. Looking forward to the pix.

dd

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

A host for the pictures? What? Yikes, I have no idea what that means.

I am taking her to the dog wash tonight. I'm hoping the attendant will take photos of her getting sudsed.

She is having her puppyhood finally. I had her in my room this morning while I got ready for work and heard all this moaning behind me. I looked and she was rolling around in a big bolster dogbed, waving her legs in the air, holding a dog toy in her mouth. I could almost hear her singing "I'm moving on up....."

Okay, can somebody email me about how to post pics??

Jennifer

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

Hi Jen- go to http://www.photobucket.com . You can upload your pics in there, and then you will use the image code link after they are uploaded to put them in a post here. Let me know if you have any trouble. If so, you can email them to me and I will be happy to post them for you!

Home Visit Coordinator
Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue

Rambelons Schariar the Titan 12/24/96-6/7/07
BonAirs La Dolce Vita 06/21/05
Gaige 5/23/06
Chance 1997-8/23/08
Sage 12/01/05
Drake CGC 11/30/07
Ava 1/28/08
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

omgosh-that's WONDERFUL.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Knighted Member

Hurray for Biscuit - and you Jennifer! Will look forward to pix.....

Anja GSD
Conor GSD- adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - at the Bridge
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

wonderful news, keep us updated, she sounds wonderful ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page