Personal Observation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
dd
Crowned Member

Personal Observation

So I see the rescue bashing party was shut down and that is probably a good thing. I did not see the first thread, and I'm glad.

On a personal note, I will have had my first rescue dog for 8 years this Sunday, and it's an important anniversary for us. The rescue I got him from was not a terribly good one, but rather than dwell on their shortcomings I would like to say that I am FOREVER GRATEFUL they got me and my pup together.

As a wise and experienced rescuer said to me once - "Even the bad rescues get it right some of the time".

So please adopt - especially in this difficult economic time. So many need help out there.

dd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Re: Personal Observation

here here

I got my other german shepherd at 10 months and he was far superior to the one I bought LOL HAHAHAHAHAHHA

KATHY
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

Shesh, I get busy and miss out on a good bashing. I've had 3 rescues, none of whom came for an organization that wasn't a shelter. Luther and Morgan were pulled by me after I evaluated them myself. Gideon was a mistake, I took him from a friend's sister's basement. I was blinded by his beauty and didn't see how far gone he was from abuse.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
dOg
Elite Member

Don't get that...guess I was lucky enough to have missed it altogether.
May explain why a thread I did post in a reply said it wasn't about rescue bashing. Didn't get that either, but it may have been referring
to the party mentioned.

As for these times, yes, with all this turmoil, foreclosings, etc...the numbers of folks looking to rehome or surrender is on the rise, and the number of potential adopters on the decline, not a good combination!

Just this week, I've had 2 people ask me did I know if anyone was looking for a dog. It's gut wrenching, and likely not going to get better anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

I posted the rescue bashing party invitation after having been called, by members of this board, a "rescue nazi" and "fanatic", along with three other rescuers. I invited members who hate rescues and rescuers or were wronged by them to bash me personally rather than bashing the 20-30 people who work so hard to save lives and the wonderful dogs we save. I was hoping to get a good juicy bashing, but the thread got deleted after 30 seconds. I was hoping to give those wronged by rescues an outlet for their frustrations by inviting them to a bashing party with me being the target.

Oh, well, they just have to let their anger out little by little.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Elite Member

Wow. I'm glad I missed the rescue bashing party.

I'll admit, I've raised an eyebrow at some of the rescue stories I've heard and while I don't know on what grounds they were being bashed, I don't see how ANY rescue could do everything right and get every rescue and every adoption right, every time. Given what they have to deal with, and the resources they have, I'd think that would be impossible. I think the vast majority of them do the best they can and the good they do far outweighs the bad.

And happy early Gotcha Day, dd!

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 PM

People's preferences are different. There are good experiences everywhere... My most favorite Sidney (solid black male long coat GSD) came from a no-kill rescue shelter in Chicago (at the time it was called the largest no-kill in Chicago). The best GSD I've ever, ever had in 20+ years. All my other ones have been purchased from breeders (or bred by my parents when they were actively breeding. Now they're into... ahem... Maltese... (huge sigh...) )
Anyhow, two of my breeder puppers, so to speak, just never really connected with us (Aprille and Byron) despite all the "credentials" and such. It's just like people. You can have awesome friends from "low places" (hehehe... sorry, big Garth Brooks fan here...) and never be able to turn your back to some fancy highly educated dude (you know... back stabbing and such...).
No bashing, folks... There's always an old shoe for a tired foot somewhere...
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
dd
Crowned Member

Thank you! And I agree with your comments. Aesop has that interesting parable about not being able to make everyone happy all of the time and I think that applies here.

My personal sympathies are more likely to lie with those who advocate for the dogs - because the dogs can't speak for themselves. The reality is that there is no shortage of rescues and shelters out there. If you can't get along with one rescue - move on and find one that will work with you.

dd

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Knighted Member

I missed the rescue bashing party thread too.
That is brave of you to call them off of people on the other thread and on to you.

My skin will get tougher after that thread I guess, Already has. I will address people in the real world differently.

I was getting so comfortable in my own skin with rescue, that I did not consider it made people who do nothing uncomfortable. (Shame on me).

I changed my sig. Took off my list of pets that I have rescued, so I do not look like I am trying to be "better than everyone".

Sorry still a little bitter from the thread.

My point for stopping by was to wish dd a happy gochta day too!!

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Knighted Member

I was also glad that the rescue bashing thread was shut down. For those people who think shelter dogs are somehow inferior to breeder dogs, I would like to show my last foster who came from a high kill Ga. animal control. She is 10 months old, and was turned in by her owner to be killed. She went to her new home on Sunday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page