Individuals in Rescue-->Joining Reputable Rescues? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Individuals in Rescue-->Joining Reputable Rescues?

Far be it from me to try to make anyone do anything (well...sometimes ) but I notice that there are people willing to pull, temp. foster, and almost maybe even seems like they would foster in areas where reputable rescues like VAGSR, Noble, MAGSR serve. Oh-and like Echo-anywhere!

Saw the same in the north-a post here from Tina/Dave looking for fosters, dd also suggested GRST to someone in Canada looking to help.

And I think...huh...if they volunteered with those groups...maybe...

Unless of course those groups already have all the volunteers that they need. <---silly me

This area is set up to help people learn more about doing that, maybe this thread can address questions specifically.

Am I making sense or creating confusion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
dd
Crowned Member

Re: Individuals in Rescue-->Joining Reputable Rescues?

I think it might be useful for rescues looking for fosters to "make a pitch" perhaps, giving key links to their documentation (foster contract, adoption contract and application) and outlining their fostering policies (i.e. Who's responsible for what? What are expectations from a foster home? Do fosters pay for the foster dog's food? Does the group work with a trainer?)

Some of these things are posted on rescue websites, but most sites I've seen are more geared to marketing dogs to adopters.

Just a thought.

dd

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Elite Member

Honestly, and I am not trying to 'make a scene' or 'start anything'....but I think there are times that someone who comes onto this board and doesn't have a lot of rescue background would be put off from joining a rescue, given that a lot of dirty laundry has been aired.

Part of me wants to just let people know I am available...but not affiliate myself with one rescue, so that if that rescue gets political, I am not pulled into a situation I don't want to be involved with.

Does that make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
dd
Crowned Member

Yes!! That's how I work too.

But - if you are talking about doing long distance pulls and placing a dog yourself, that's a whole different scenario.

dd

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to denwil2007

I've offered to help rescues and have gotten no response. So I just do my own thing...

for show and performance
Sabian's Hot Pursuit v Southwind CGC --Chase
Bleibtreu's Ransom of Coda CGC --Chopper
T-Ho's BoclayBee-lieve in Me of Sabian-Cheetah
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Individuals in Rescue-->Joining Reputable Resc

Maybe try Echo chasethedog? They seem responsive.

I think it would be great for rescues to try to make that pitch-like I said Tina/Dave did that post looking for fosters. Of course it is up to people to do due diligence, but if it makes it better for the dogs and is a group you can be comfortable with (and you can leave anytime you aren't) then you have all sorts of resources you don't on your own.

I understand what SueF is saying, but like dd said, there are degrees and when it gets complicated (who is going to take the dog back? for its lifetime?) it is great to have rescue backing. So thinking of it from the end of the process backwards, you can see that perhaps it might be beneficial for all.

Also understand not wanting to make a huge commitment but rescues vary-maybe commit to foster one dog and then go on until you are ready again. I figure if you are buying the milk already, why not do it with a farm co-op? (kind of a why buy the cow idea...)

But what I am definitely seeing are people in these "high traffic" areas trying to do things on their own and then asking for rescue help, when if they were with a rescue...kind of backwards...to me!

So here is an opportunity perhaps to make some matches! Maybe! Or not!

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Elite Member

I think that the perception is that once you affiliate yourself with a single rescue, then you cannot help other rescues too. I would much rather affiliate myself with several rescues, who know that I am available to pull and help transport from certain shelters in my local area...that way I am not, again, sucked into too much with one rescue.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
dd
Crowned Member

I think that works. However, I know there are strong relationships AMONG some rescues, especially those located in different areas of the country, that work beautifully. They ensure they have the same goals and philosophy and it all works to the benefit of the dogs.

dd

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

Perhaps that is what needs to be "advertised". I agree, there are some rescues that work fabulously together, I wasn't trying to say otherwise.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Master Member

I understand what you are saying Jean. I myself am just trying to generate interest in fostering for my group as it appears that fosters are few and far in between in this neck of the woods, but I would only pass on the co-ordinator's name, phone number/email address to any interested parties. And yes the website also but I too think that most of these are geared as dd says to 'marketing' the animals for adoption. I also feel that too much dirty laundry can and has been aired on the board and would prefer to to spark the interest and pass on the info. (and yes I do volunteer for this group)

I can also understand not having an affiliate with any one rescue, however someone just jumping in to help must be able to produce some creditentials or have had a home vist done previously by a reputable rescue. Most of us will not have just anyone pull and foster.

Tina

Tina and Dave - Volunteers for Precious Paws Rescue - Barrie Ontario
Approved foster
Proud Owners of:
Beni gsd Dec 31, 2000 - Sept 5, 2009
Lia gsd & Mas Survivor
Render July 9/91 - Mar 31/2001
Autumn Jan 1979 - Oct 1990 (Sheltie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page