Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post

Not GSDs, but...

Quote:
QuoteEARBORN, Mich. — Police on Friday found about 150 dead dogs packed in freezers in the basement of a Michigan house littered with feces and trash where more than 110 live dogs, mostly Chihuahuas, were rescued this week.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_244614.html

Who knows if they just kept breeding or if he got them from places, but...again a cautionary tale and why sending dogs to people and rescues that haven't been home checked and thoroughly checked out is so dangerous.

On the side of one article:
Quote:
Quote: June 2009: Royal Oak police seized 33 dogs from a warehouse in Royal Oak that a Birmingham woman operated as the Itsy Bitsy Dog Rescue.
http://www.freep.com/article/20090724/NE...heal-at-shelter

And that:
http://www.freep.com/article/2009071...-get-new-homes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 104 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dogs seized at Salina "rescue shelter"
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._rescue_s.html
By Charles McChesney / The Post-Standard

October 06, 2009, 10:30PM

Three of the 31 dogs seized from Mallory Paetow of 115 Pinkerton St. look at a visitor to the SPCA.

Salina, NY - Thirty-one dogs and puppies were taken from a Salina home this evening. Eight have already been euthanized by the CNY SPCA because they were too ill to be saved.
Paul Morgan, head of the SPCA said he and two other animal cruelty officers went to the home of Mallory Paetow, 24, at 115 Pinkerton St. and found the dogs caged in the basement.
Morgan said Paetow told him she had sold some 125 to 150 dogs in the last year.

"Basically, she was running a kennel," he said.

Paetow was charged with three misdemeanors under state agriculture laws. She's charged with failing to provide proper shelter, food or medical care for the animals.

The dogs, from month-old puppies to dogs as old as 1 1/2 years were to be evaluated by veterinarians, Morgan said. None of the dogs would be available for adoption immediately, Morgan said.

--------------------------------------------
Prior to the seizure an email warning had been issued, but not soon enough for the dogs in her care, or the 125-150 dogs sold to non-screened buyers in the past year.

Quote:
Quote: We have received bad feedback on this rescue in Liverpool NY. Reports include more than 50 pups held in an unfinished basement (seen first hand); selling pups on site at Home Depot and listing them on craigslist; reports of bad holding conditions in her home. Her site says dogs leave there s/n, unless they are too young (and it appears she only pulls puppies). It does say she uses a voucher system. She pulled 35 or so puppies out of KY shelters in the last week or so. PLEASE, IF YOU ARE A SHELTER SENDING TO HER, THINK TWICE. GET VET REFERENCES. TALK TO RESCUES IN HER AREA. We could not find her registration as an animal rescue. This does not mean she has ill intent. She may just be a novice. BUT that does not excuse selling puppies on the spot at Home Depot or on craigslist. Please be careful.
I am not sure how she got to use the NYS Ag vouchers...

post #53 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No idea if she adopted or purchased these animals but she got them from somewhere (in addition to neighbors' pets possibly):

Quote:
Quote: L.I. Pet Abuse Suspect Ran "Animal Concentration Camp" The Long Island woman suspected of torturing and killing about 20 dogs before burying them in her backyard forced her children to take part in her animal "concentration camp," according to her son. "It was a concentration camp for the animals," Doug McDonough, the eldest of suspect Sharon McDonough's seven children, told WCBS. "My sisters and me, we got the end of it, too." Doug — who tipped off the animal rescue TV show Rescue Ink, which in turn alerted the Suffolk County SPCA — told the Post that the abuse would begin shortly after his 43-year-old mother brought a pet into her Selden home. "She would buy the dog, treat it like it was the greatest dog in the world for a few days, then they would sit in the cage until she decided to kill them. It was a power trip."

In what the Suffolk County SPCA chief considers one of the worst cases of animal abuse that he has scene in 25 years, investigators have already unearthed the remains of almost two dozen dogs from the backyard, and discovered a shepherd mix, a beagle mix, an Italian greyhound, a cocker mix, a pug, and a cat living in deplorable conditions inside.
http://gothamist.com/2009/11/09/long...was_an_ani.php

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

http://www.wkrg.com/raw_news/article/hum...8-2010_2-42-pm/

Quote:
Quote: Humane Society Rescues 100 Dogs From Hayden Home
WKRG.com

by (AP) HAYDEN, Ala.
Published: Fri, January 08, 2010 - 1:20 pm CST Last Updated: Fri, January 08, 2010 - 2:42 pm CST
56 Views |Short URL: http://wkrg.com/628913

Hayden, Alabama - Officials have rescued more than 100 dogs from a Hayden home where they were being kept in cramped and dirty conditions without protection from freezing temperatures.

Scotlund Haisley tells the Huntsville Times in a Friday story that he's relieved to know the dogs are starting out 2010 "on the road to becoming cherished family members."

Haisley is senior director of Emergency Services for the national Humane Society.

The property owner had rescued the dogs and attempted to adopt them out, but became overwhelmed and did not have the proper resources to care for the canines.

The Humane Society is removing the animals and housing them at an emergency shelter set up in a vacant part of the Greater Birmingham Humane Society.

___

Information from: The Huntsville Times, http://www.al.com/huntsville
More: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

post #55 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Jean these posts just anger me so much, I cannot believe what people do to animals, sick sick people. I cannot stress enough how important it is to check people out thoroughly-not just to send animal after animal to people that come on here claiming to be a good rescue. Especially in light of the email I recieved this past week about a "rescuer" (which has not been the first email about that "rescue") thank God I trust my gut instincts when I feel something just "isnt right", its proved to be true.

Home Visit Coordinator
Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue

Rambelons Schariar the Titan 12/24/96-6/7/07
BonAirs La Dolce Vita 06/21/05
Gaige 5/23/06
Chance 1997-8/23/08
Sage 12/01/05
Drake CGC 11/30/07
Ava 1/28/08
post #56 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Another one. I saw them post all the time on Craigslist:

Quote:
Quote:Authorities seize 31 dogs from Oak Creek shelter

By The Associated Press

Posted: Jan. 9, 2010

More than 30 Jack Russell Terriers have been removed from an Oak Creek animal shelter where authorities say the dogs were mistreated.

Oak Creek police acting on an anonymous tip responded to First Friends Animal Rescue. They allegedly found dogs with open sores and filthy fur.

The 31 dogs were taken to Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.

The director there is Melanie Sobel. She tells WTMJ the dogs lapped up food and water as though they hadn't been fed for a long time. She says many had sores on their paws and fur soaked in urine.

A message left Saturday with First Friends Animal Rescue was not immediately returned.

Oak Creek police say they're seeking charges that include mistreatment of animals.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/81074577.html
post #57 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quoteead animals lead to arrest of Wolcott man and woman on animal cruelty charges
By Charley Hannagan / The Post-Standard
January 15, 2010, 6:56AM

Wolcott, NY -- New York State Police accused a man and woman Thursday of cruelty to animals after investigators found three dead animals and more than a dozen animals that were dehydrated, underfed and suffering from intestinal parasites at their Wolcott home and property.

State police accused David L. Swan, 62, and Virginia E. Swan, 36, of 11580 Ridge Road, Wolcott, of eight counts of misdemeanor cruelty to animals and one count of endangering the welfare of a child.

The investigation began after state police received a report of a horse in poor condition.

State police and the Wayne County Animal Cruelty investigators found one of two horses on the property was emaciated. One of the barns contained a dead goat and dead duck.

Two dogs in a barn suffered from extreme emaciation and dehydration, and a third dog found in a kennel behind the barn was emaciated and dehydrated too.

The occupants of the trailer home denied investigators access. After getting a search warrant, investigators said they found a home with floors covered in animal feces and infested with cockroaches.

They also found 11 dogs and two cats inside the trailer suffering from various levels of neglect. Another dog was found dead in an old dog food bag stored in a bedroom.

Despite medical efforts, one dog died 12 hours after it was removed.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...arrest_of.html

Phone screening won't catch that.

post #58 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for posting these. It reminds me to not take any short cuts when placing a puppy.

Betty

post #59 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

No but a homevisit would.

Human owner to:
Prinz-Gsd -RIP 8/3/12 Never long enough....
Ava-Rescue
Echo-Rescue GSD/Husky
Barnaby-Holland Lop

Maureen

White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator

post #60 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Master Member

I am never afraid to give folks my info My vets Number , my rescue references,personel references, even talk to my neighbors. I helped get cindy and doug (and little oliver) out of douglasville GA Even though the GSD's went to a rescue I work for. I sent the people who helped pull Cindy the spay info. That way folks know I follow through The one rescue I work for redid HV and references on me because I had not fostered for them in a while and moved to a new address. Folks from rescue had been to the house but new info had to be obtained I said bring it on I am never afraid to let anyone check my references I would be more upset if they did not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page