Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post

There is no MIGHT have seen bad things when it comes to the rescue world. I see EVERYDAY the horrible things people do to dogs, I can show you pictures, introduce you to dogs damaged by said people, and tell you stories I saw first hand.

Many times damage to the dogs comes from people with good intentions, the people who take in too many dogs b/c they feel sorry for them and love them but don't know when to stop and can't handle them financially or medically or just basic socialization and handling. They can be individual citizens or rescue's...<u>no one is above question</u>. And there are things worse than death for dogs, if you don't believe that, take a look at any number of pictures on DogsDeserveBetter's website or google Michael Vick...all real stories and real dogs!

I have been to countless home visits of people who SOUNDED great and said all the right things only to go to their house and they be nothing they said they were. I have been to a home to adopt a dog and found a lab chained and penned outside that they never mentioned...I would have never known and my foster would have ended up in that same pen had I not asked more questions and demanded a home visit. That family not only didn't get my dog, they signed the other unwanted dog over to me and I went home with her.

It is very naive for anyone to think that everyone who is trying to help dogs should be trusted and helped with no questions. There are nasty people out there in this internet world, who can be anyone they want to be on the computer. There are also well meaning people who don't know the first thing about rescue who will criticize and get defensive when people who do this every day ask what should be simple questions. I'm sorry if anyone thinks this is jaded...but its reality. I still think most people are good hearted and mean well, but I still am going to ask people questions before working with them and I expect them to do the same of me.

Rhaya's post is about being careful and knowing who you are helping and where that dog is going...it is well thought out and important guidelines everyone should be following.

Many people know each other off the board and have worked together and are already vetted so they can appear to be working together and helping each other without questions...but no one should be offended if anyone asks who they are or what rescue they work for. If we all have the dog's best interest at heart and not our own feelings or ego then everyone should be open for questions and <u>hopefully</u> everyone asking is asking in a respectful way, as they should.

Sinclair
Director
Noble Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ava:6 yr-GSD
Charly: 6 1/2 yr-GSD rescue
Apollo: 4 yr old foster: BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Raven: 1997-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Knighted Member

Great explanation pupresq (we were posting at the same time, LOL)! I'm sure you won't mind me sharing this...but the first time I worked with her she asked for my references and I asked for hers, even though we publicly work with known rescues....its just a smart practice.

Sinclair
Director
Noble Shepherd Rescue

Ava:6 yr-GSD
Charly: 6 1/2 yr-GSD rescue
Apollo: 4 yr old foster: BLOG:

Raven: 1997-2007
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

Yours too! I think you're exactly right - anyone who is checking quickly discovers how important checking really is. It is reality - there are an awful lot of bad situations out there for dogs and cats to wind up in, and, sadly, there are well meaning people sometimes responsible for putting them there.

And yes! I do not mind you sharing, as it's exactly what should be happening - you and I had been quite friendly and chatty on the board for a long time, but the first time we actually were going to work on a dog together we swapped references and info. No offense taken! That's how it should be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Knighted Member

Even though I am the current president of a fairly large, fairly well known rescue group, I just got checked out when I offered to do a home visit for a dog who was in NJ who was being adopted in VA.

Did I mind? Not a bit!

I too have seen first hand, (far too many times) of what can happen to these poor creatures who depend on us get them to a better life.

We owe it to these dogs to make sure than nothing bad happens to them again once they are in our care.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 AM

I have no idea why someone who is pulling dogs from shelters would not want to make everything open and provide references, home visits from other reputable rescues. There are so many situations exposed on almost a daily basis of hoarding, selling dogs that were rescued, etc. that it would seem readily apparent why people who would to know where dogs are going and to check references.

When I "adopted" my Allie, I had two home visits from the person I got her from, a joint visit to my vet with the person and continued follow up. I was not offended but rather glad that Allie's guardian was so protective.

We have to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves and ensure that we are doing our best to protect them.

I readily admit I cannot afford to do rescue nor am I situated to even go to shelters due to physical limitations. However, that does not stop me from being concerned and caring for the animals.

ML

Mary Lou
Murphy (Chowrottweiller) and
Allie GSD and Murphy's BFF
post #46 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Tess Phila PA While you MIGHT, and I say might because I will bet most of you have not seen any such thing first hand, have seen some bad things aren't you perpetuating it by refusing to see the many many many good things?
The problem with this is that if you don't take precautions, and no matter how many wonderful things have happened, you're still dealing with a life. One mistake in judgment can lead to years of suffering for a dog. While the chances of it happening are slim in most cases, not many people are willing to take that chance.
post #47 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

And I think the other question that needs to be asked to prove the importance of the question of where is that dog going is...

Where did that dog come from?

Because each of these dogs came from somewhere. And could end up back in a shelter or awful situation again if careful screening is not employed.

post #48 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

An "older" headline-a little less than a month ago.

Do you know where you are sending dogs?

Quote:
Quote:HOARDER EMERGENCY IN COLUMBIA, KY - MORE THAN 300 ANIMALS AND WE NEED HELP

On Friday 2/20 Clean Slate <u>Animal Rescue </u>in Columbia was raided. An estimated more than 300 dogs, cats, and farm animals were in danger of euthanization by the county. UR_KY had been investigating this rescue as well. It appears to be a situation where a rescuer went over the line into hoarding. Most of the animals have mange or other injuries and illnesses.
http://www.urky.org/Emergencies_.html

post #49 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Another rescue: Pendragwn Chow Chow Rescue

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...2NTkNGFBw.cspx

Quote:
Quote:The Humane League says people have been complaining of lots of barking and horrible smells coming from the home, but didn't have enough information to issue a search warrant, until now.

The Humane League of Lancaster County has been working non stop since yesterday's rescue to find homes for these dogs, some were in such bad shape they had to be euthanized. The League calls this a very sad situation - especially because the woman caring for these animals loved the dogs but took in too many and became overwhelmed.

92 dogs were rescued from the East Lampeter Township home Tuesday afternoon from what the humane league calls deplorable conditions, two of the animals were found dead.

Kerry Flanagan, V.P. of Operations
“It was a very upsetting scene, dogs in crates stacked two high. There was fecal matter built up in some areas a few feet deep. The smell was overwhelming when you walked in it hit you like a wall.”

The victims were all chows and chow-mixes ranging from puppies to seniors. The dogs were transported Tuesday night to the Humane League, some doubled up in cages, some laying still - emotionally and physically broken. One dog had two broken legs. His buddy next door suffers from mange, a parasitic infestation of the skin. He's also emaciated and starved.

The Humane League says the neglect was unintentional by the rescue organization Pendragon Chow Chow Rescue operated by Terri Roby.

“This is just somebody whose love for animals got out of control...”

CBS 21 News could not get in touch with Roby but we spoke to a source close to the situation who says Terri is a great person who just couldn't say no. She was getting calls from shelters across the country begging for help in finding homes for these dogs. The situation got out of control.

Flanagan:
“She was very upset she was very apologetic and we were very sad at the situation. We think her heart was absolutely in the right place.”

It's unclear how long all 90 of the dogs had been living in the home but the Humane League says the dead dogs had been decaying--clearly laying there for some time. The Humane League says animal cruelty charges are expected to be filed next week as well as a charge of operating an illegal kennel.
Breaks my heart that these extremely clean, wonderful dogs with such intelligence were in these conditions.

Ask yourself this BEFORE you help someone here get a dog-do you know how many dogs they have? Has anyone been there? Do you get frequent follow ups? How many dogs have they pulled? Where are those dogs? Just because it looks like people are sending someone dogs - have you checked them out yourself?

Do you know where that dog is going? That is the difference between a dog being truly rescued, and a dog just being sent from possible death to a living death.

I hope people read and really GET this thread. I really do.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style='font-family: Arial Black'>Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms5cc...e=channel_page</span></span>

And it doesn't have to be that bad to be bad enough.

post #50 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Is there a references section anywhere on this site? A list of people's user names, and a place to rate or comment about actual personal dealings with this person? Their experience, references, etc? Wouldn't that be a good idea, if it doesn't already exist?

Sam, our 4 year old GSD/Lab mix
Home from the Humane Society 02/25/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page