Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?

And yet we still have people even on this board who can not understand why people want to know what rescue or group a dog is going to go to.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?

must be because they aren't educated about the subject, and don't know the reality of what's out there. sometimes people can be incredibly naive about the goings on in the world. SO MANY people have absolutely no idea about the amish puppy mills, or the buckeye dog auction, bait dogs, hoarding...and when you first come here to the urgent section it can be SO EASY to get carried away, if you are a good person, and do want to help...i wish there was a way that when new people do come to the urgent section they could have "mentors"...possibly not practical or possible, but it would be good if newbies could get some input from some of those who've been here a while. oh, and another thing...i wish there was a way that if you want to participate in the urgent section, you have to register more extensively, maybe with details not visible to to everyone, but somewhere in a registry that would be useable to all other's in that section. everyone who works the urgent board should be required to be TOTALLY TRANSPARENT.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post

Do you know where your rescue is going --- Yes, without exception.

But my group has always arranged for the transport, and every single dog has been placed with a rescue person, a vet's or in severe aggression cases a trainer that works with us.

Frankly, I was suprised to hear that some of the so-called rescue dogs actually end up in a worst place then where they started from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Master Member

i wish there was a way that if you want to participate in the urgent section, you have to register more extensively, maybe with details not visible to to everyone, but somewhere in a registry that would be useable to all other's in that section. everyone who works the urgent board should be required to be TOTALLY TRANSPARENT.

This is a great idea. I still see on the urgent boards people helping to pulls dogs and not sure where they are going.

I have pm person to ask questions and the answer were very vauge.
So I will not help. When I have asked how or where the dogs is Etc. again very vague answers.

It would be great if we could posted as suggested what rescue we are with or rescue we have wroked with.

I am new here less than a year.I would expect people to ask me question. I would want them to, I am very transparent.
I would hope the members who have been here a while would give me suggestions and input.

Brigiette

My Kids: Miss Jade
Lakota
Natalie - Foster Failure
Ella - Foster Failure
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

I agree Brigiette. I dont like when I ask a question because I MAY be able to help someone and get told that they dont have to answer to anyone on the board. On the contrary-we are supposed to be a team here. No rescue against rescue, people feeling they dont have to tell the details of the dogs life, etc... The cattiness I sometimes see is very discouraging. I also will not work with someone unless I know exactly who they are, who they are working with and where the dog is going. That is the way it should be for the sake of the dogs.

Home Visit Coordinator
Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue

Rambelons Schariar the Titan 12/24/96-6/7/07
BonAirs La Dolce Vita 06/21/05
Gaige 5/23/06
Chance 1997-8/23/08
Sage 12/01/05
Drake CGC 11/30/07
Ava 1/28/08
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

"everyone who works the urgent board should be required to be TOTALLY TRANSPARENT. "

What does that mean?

Cindy M
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Knighted Member

A rescue should be willing to provided references, copies of adoption contracts/ adoption policies and welcome a home visit. If anyone offers to helps a rescue with a pull, fostering or transport, then they should be able to ask for these things from the rescue so they can decide for themselves if the rescue is one they fell comfortable working with.

Also this should go both ways. I am sure that most reputable rescue would require references and a home visit from any new fosters or volunteers.

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Or maybe most people are doing the right things and trying to help. May be you are so jaded by the several horror stories you do not see that your accusatory and suspicious behavior makes your more damaging to the dogs and improving their conditions then many who are out there intent on hurting them.
Interesting thoughts. Except no one is adopting from you nor asking you to help if you don't want to do so - if you do not want to then don't and if you have questions then ask them without pulicizing your unfounded beliefs a person is your own worst fears and sounding like the person who is supposed to answer is condemned to your fears until they prove otherwise. It is ill-educated, damaging and uncivil.
While you MIGHT, and I say might because I will bet most of you have not seen any such thing first hand, have seen some bad things aren't you perpetuating it by refusing to see the many many many good things? Aren't you stifling the help because you believe good things only when you drag people through the mud first?
I have not seen all that many people on this board INCLUDING YOU do what it is you are so adamant - to the point of arrogant - about demanding from everyone else. And you wonder why people want nothing to do with responding to certain of you. Who died and left you in charge exactly? With this level of behavior on the part of some - I really feel more sorry for the dogs.
Tess
post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

Tess, EVERYONE here on this board has gone through the same level of questioning and wondering when no one knows who they are. MYSELF included. yet I never presumed to think I shouldnt have to be transparent and give the necessary info that was asked of me. The only arrogance I have seen is your responses to well meaning questions.

Home Visit Coordinator
Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue

Rambelons Schariar the Titan 12/24/96-6/7/07
BonAirs La Dolce Vita 06/21/05
Gaige 5/23/06
Chance 1997-8/23/08
Sage 12/01/05
Drake CGC 11/30/07
Ava 1/28/08
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Tess,

I work with a group that represents several rural shelters and sends dogs to quite a few different rescue groups and with many different transporters. We ask these questions of everyone. We expect others to ask these questions of us. It takes a relatively short amount of time to supply the information and a similarly small amount of time for us to process it. If this process can keep even one dog out a bad situation, I think it's worth doing.

I've been in rescue a long time and I've discovered that bad rescue situations - as well as bad adopters, are not the one-in-a-million chance, nor the single bad apple that spoils the barrel, they're common. They are so common that no one truly concerned with animal welfare should ever send dogs out on a hope and a prayer that things will be fine. Giving people the benefit of the doubt in your personal life is one thing, but when a helpless animal is depending on you to make sure things are okay, then checking up and making sure is something you simply have to do.

I would hope that other people do the same things in other aspects of their lives when the stakes are also high. For example, I would never in a million years hire a babysitter for my child off the Internet, with no questions asked. I would never employ someone to work for me without doing reference checks. Doing rescue is the same kind of thing. You hope for the best, but you also try to make responsible decisions for the animals depending on you.

I have undergone the same kind of questioning on this board and I welcome it! Any time I offer to help hold or transport an animal for a new group, I would hope that people want to call my vet, want to insure that I am who I say I am. I have nothing to hide and lives are on the line here. If someone tells a lie on the chat section, well, they lied, but no big deal. If someone tells a lie on the urgent board, it could literally kill a dog. I think that's what is meant for the need for transparency in rescue operations.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page