Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?w/Rhaya's Post - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
dd
Crowned Member

Re: Do You Know Where That Dog is Going?

Good point. There are lots of "Jennies" out there - people who "just want to help" but who don't stand up to scrutiny if someone would only scrutinise them. People were thrilled with "Jenny" because she was "saving" so many dogs - but no one knows where most of those animals ended up - in breeding outfits, in labs, in kill shelters... She's not the only one out there. Check out the rescue you are helping to get a dog - preferably have someone visit them. Check out your transporters. Make sure you are saving a dog and not sending him to a fate worse than death.

Something else to consider - like the hoarder example given on this board, "Jenny" didn't actually do anything illegal. She asked for the dog, she was given the dog, and once he was her property she disposed of him as she saw fit. So please, especially when doing long distance adoptions and rescues, think twice and check three, four, five times before you make a decision on behalf of an animal that can't speak for itself.

dd

dd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Master Member

Some of you may know that I'm involved in ACD Rescue. Last night a lady I know that is part of a new Rescue in the Carolinas asked me if I knew anything about a woman that has offered to transport a rescued dog. She got a weird feeling from the e-mails and forwarded them to me, I got the same uneasy feeling. This woman claims to be on a national transport list. The lady trucker will be driving from FL to MN, but she has given no info on time frame, vehicle license, etc. Claims that things are still up in the air as to what vehicle she will be driving, etc. I have the woman's first name only. I told my Rescue friend that I would not feel comfortable with this person unless she got references from people she personally trusted vouching for her. She feels the same as did another person she has questioned. The dog will travel from SC to Atlanta to meet the transport (proposed plan).

If anyone can help verify info, please feel free to PM me. I don't want to put a name out in error.

Thanks,
Kristina
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
dd
Crowned Member

That's unusual. One thing you could do is check with Operation Roger, which is an official truckers' network for transport and see if they have heard of her. Personally, I wouldn't give her an animal based on the lack of info provided.

dd

dd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Master Member

Thanks dd, I just heard from my friend. She sent a long letter to the woman stating concerns and asking for more info. The woman wrote back saying she couldn't make the run due to weather concerns. So, it looks like they will be filling a more traditional transport with more trusted people.

The whole thing just seemed "off".

Kristina
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bump and adding Rhaya's warning to make sure that people aren't focusing on a past case, but looking at bettering the way things are done now and in the future-because unfortunately, just getting rid of one problem does not mean that others will not try...
Reposting guidelines by request...

The Urgent Rescue forum is often the last hope for many rescues. It’s a place where emotions run high and haste is essential. That combination provides the energy necessary to save many Shepherds. Unfortunately, it also provides an opportunity for exploitation. There are some that visit this area only to exploit the animals and rescuers. Sadly there have been and continue to be cases were caring members have been deceived. This deception has cost some of our members a few dollars and some animals their lives.

Please remember the anonymous nature of the internet. Before you offer your financial help or surrender one of these animals, please ask yourself – What do I really know about this person?

So often rescue is about trust. It’s disheartening that there are those that will abuse that trust. Use caution and do a little research before you place your trust in people you know little about.

Hare are some warning signs:

1. Members without rescue representation who offer to foster or adopt multiple dogs within a short time period, pregnant dogs, or litters of pups.

2. Members who have fostered or adopted dogs from the rescue forums in the past, but have no current information on the disposition of those dogs. Goes double for those who have fostered or adopted dogs that ended up in questionable circumstances (lost, PTS without a viable explanation, not spayed/neutered, surrendered to shelters, given away to irresponsible owners).

3. Members who decline home visits from rescue organizations.

Here are some tips to help authenticate:

1. The PA (Potential Adopter) MUST be approved by a local rescue group. Doesn't HAVE to be a Shepherd rescue groups but I would recommend a herding or working breed group.

2. PA must provide work reference, vet reference and trainer reference.

3. PA must agree to a home check (again - by a local rescue group).

Thank you,
Rhaya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just read another thread where people were going to help transport a dog without any mention of the above, to someone they "know" on this board. Not yelling, just reminding, to please be careful.

I would hope if I ever offered for a dog for myself personally, people would question me, get my references, vet check, home check, regardless of my (eek) number of posts or what I purport to do with my dogs. Besides that I would hope someone would stop me due to the number of dogs I have!

I don't know if it would be too direct to start posting those threads as an example here but I really think people need to review this information almost daily. Imagine "helping" to get a dog to a life of pain and suffering just to "save" them. It happens.

I realize I am nag-tastic on this, but it just makes my jaw drop to see it happen time and time again.

post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Elite Member

I got Remington off this board, and I was still put through vet checks, references, etc...no home check since I had recently adopted through a rescue and they vouched for me, but I was pleased to see all that happen. Makes me feel better too!
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to melonyjhsn

Hmm.... Something that I like to do is PM people when I see something off or know there is something funny going on. It only takes a second and the few times I've felt the need to do it, I have gotten a positive response from the other end. Just pass on the facts, and see what happens. People want to help the cause and many are still learning the best ways to get the job done.

Melony

post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
dd
Crowned Member

bump

dd

post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

...and a good person is not going to mind or be offended if you require they be checked out - if anything, they'll be understanding and thankful.

Jaime, Mom to:
Brutus-Sable GSD
Caesar-Sable GSD

Adoption Coordinator
Echo Dogs White Shepherd Rescue

Volunteer for GSR-SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page