How to distinguish reputable rescue's from others - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

Re: How to distinguish reputable rescue's from others

I thought this might be a thread to expand on some more.

So we have a great list.

How do we evaluate?

How do we find out?

And after changes of any kind happen in a rescue, how do you re-evaluate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Thoughts?

Use all our mind energy productive-like!

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM

I have decided to check into voluntering with a rescue and maybe do foster care.

Since I live in Georgia and like the GSD, I looked up GSDRGA. I filled out an application on line, and received an email that they would get back to me in a few days. I believe they want to check my references.

Ok, thats good. But after reading this thread, I apparently need to check their references also.

The rescue is "German Shepherd Dog Rescue Group of Georgia, Inc."
Does anyone on the site work with them? Or had any dealings with them? Any insight?

When someone does call me, are there the most important questions that I should ask of them? I know they will ask me things. Is there a checklist of sorts that I should ask them?

Thanks,
kathy

Kathy
Bear - 1996-2008 - RIP big dog
Ruby - NSR foster
Nena - NSR foster
Bruno - NSR foster
Blitz - NSR foster
Glory - SCR foster
Leibe - SSR foster
Lessie - CPR foster
Reno - CPR foster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

My rescue group in the Midwest is small, but fairly well known.

My best suggestion is go with a group and then decide. There could be some disagreements, but if the group is well intended and willing to listen to your opinions about the rescue dog, as mine is, then you made the right choice.

Good luck
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Questions to ask -
Are you recognized as a NFP?
Where can I review your consititution and by laws?

How often does your board meet?
Do you have business meetings open to membership?

Are the board meeting minutes available to read?

May I have a copy of your IRS 990?

What opportunities to volunteer do you have?

What screening process to you use for these positions?

Do you have volunteer meetings where I can meet other volunteers?

Pick some of these. The 990 will be pretty interesting, so might the board minutes but what is going to be as interesting is their response when you ask about these things.
Jlgc likes this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Elite Member

Re: How to distinguish reputable rescue's from oth

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Saphirenot-for-profit organisation.
A reputable rescue makes an effort to work in harmony with the shelters, humane societies and animal control facilities in their own area.

A reputable rescue prioritizes working with shelters and owner-surrenders from within its own area first
Excellent write up! I went down through the list, and GSRNE does all of your suggestions. Very well thought out list.

I do have to disagree though with your statements about geography having anything to do with ethics. Though my rescue does work exculsively with dogs in our area (New England), I don't think that just because you as a rescuer choose to form a connection with an out-of-state shelter/rescue to help that particular group of animals makes you an unethical rescue.

My own personal point of view is that saving/helping a dog is helping a dog, no matter where the dog comes from. That being said, I do think all the rest applies and within that framework of "ethics" there should be room for personal choice.

Chris

Chris & the 6-pack
Akir, Yane, Amber, Belanna, Red & Simba
V Ylsa v. Fleisherheim, Sch 2 - My Firecracker - 7/4/94-11/1/08
Kelly GSRNE #102 March 1997-March 2009
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Elite Member

I have now experienced a bad rescue first hand. They have PTS a dog with HW instead of treating him.

BIG TIP!!!!!

If the rescues website does not show hard cases that need medical treatment and only shows healthy dogs....RUN! DO NOT SEND THEM A DOG! If they haven't had a sick dog listed that they paid to treat, and kept for a long time...they do not treat them, they put them to sleep!

Riley Feb 07 GSD
Snowy Apr 06 Cat
Pichu Apr 06 Cat
Baby Girl Dec 07 Blind Tortie Shell Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Trooper Jan 93-0ct 03 my heart, my soul
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

This is not really true. For example Petfiner removed some of the dogs from our "adoptables" list because they were in treatment and were not available for adoption yet. Same thing with dogs that were on a behavior modification program and not yet ready for a home.
Petfinder rules state that only dogs ready for a home should be listed on Petfinder.
There are plenty of good rescues that list dogs when they are available for adoption as opposed to being in treatment for some condition.

Without knowing the exact circumstances of the dog's medical condition, it is hard to judge why he was put to sleep. Depending on the general condition of the dog, some may not survive heartworm treatment. Some treatments are so expensive that the rescue, sadly, may not be able to afford it.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RebelGSDThis is not really true. For example Petfiner removed some of the dogs from our "adoptables" list because they were in treatment and were not available for adoption yet. Same thing with dogs that were on a behavior modification program and not yet ready for a home.
Petfinder rules state that only dogs ready for a home should be listed on Petfinder.
There are plenty of good rescues that list dogs when they are available for adoption as opposed to being in treatment for some condition.
Petfinder, yes only adoptable dogs can be listed, but an actual website that they set up that has all of there information, no. This is an actual website that lists available dogs and happy homes, but has no reference what so ever to any sick animals. Most websites for rescues will have on their main page a sick dog that they have taken in that they need donations for, or a sick dog with it's story from shelter through treatment, and into it's forever home. This site has none of that. Feel free to PM me for the specific one I am referring to. They do not even have medical treatment listed as what the adoption fee covers.
Jlgc likes this.

Riley Feb 07 GSD
Snowy Apr 06 Cat
Pichu Apr 06 Cat
Baby Girl Dec 07 Blind Tortie Shell Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Trooper Jan 93-0ct 03 my heart, my soul
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

I cleaned this thread up, let's keep this thread to the topic of
How to distinguish reputable rescue's from others.

Wisc.Tiger - Admin
Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page