How to distinguish reputable rescue's from others - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

Re: How to distinguish reputable rescue's from others

For the ones that I don't personally know here in the states I would want to know that they are registered with the government as a tax exempt organization. This filing, combined with their state filing, will show that they have a board, a set of by-laws and probably a consitution. I'd also talk to my vet about how different organizations in my area were run, how they accomplished their mission. And they should have a mission statement to share with you.

You could also begin by giving a modest but not insignificant amount and see how they respond. Do you get a receipt? Do they offer a receipt? How do they acknowledge your contribution?
Down here, contributions are considered made when you mail them yet many charities do not acknowledge that in end of the year contributions. Even big ones that SHOULD know the regs. I feel the need to enlighten them with my next contribution -- and to some of them it will be a "why I am not renewing" letter.

One of my early contributions was to a very legit organization but when their subsequent mailings revealed they were holding a lottery with a cash prize as a fund-raiser they lost any future contributions from me. I don't give money to fund lotteries with cash prizes.

(I'm a government employee with a NFP background - btw govt is also NFP.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

All of this information is very helpful for I am very hurt and was discouraged that I was misled when my only interest was to help GSD's in need.
This person used my login and pw of which I had stored in my personal message folder on her site to gain access to another GSD rescue/forum to cause havoc of which resulted in me being banned from that site. In the end a long time friend and supporter is suffering the effects. I am soooooo bitter.
I will indeed be very cautious when looking to invest my time, energy and money into another rescue.
I thank everyone for their input and feel a renewed interest in finding a GOOD reputable rescue to involve myself with.

Cathy

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Banned

I posed a similar question about the quality of rescue groups a month or so ago. The first group I contacted, although having a good reputation, was a disappointment.

The good I am now working with has been great, and the reason we got a hold of each other is some people on this board recommended them, along with other good rescue groups in my area (Wisconsin).

I realize Ontario is much bigger then Wisconsin, but am hoping someone will suggest a few rescue groups in Ontario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Master Member

German Shephard Rescue of Toronto/GSRT. Email - [email protected]

I volunteer with an all breed rescue who do occassionally have room - Precious Paws Rescue. The email address is [email protected]. Contact would be Cassandra.

These are just 2 that I would recommend, there may be others.

Tina

Tina and Dave - Volunteers for Precious Paws Rescue - Barrie Ontario
Approved foster
Proud Owners of:
Beni gsd Dec 31, 2000 - Sept 5, 2009
Lia gsd & Mas Survivor
Render July 9/91 - Mar 31/2001
Autumn Jan 1979 - Oct 1990 (Sheltie)
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned

Cathy, when I first saw your post I decided to not even read, figuring if you wanted to rescue a dog you could decide whether or not the rescue was OK on your end after you had a rescue dog.

I did not give a thought to the $$$ end of supporting rescue groups, and that was my mistake. Doing transport, or contributing dollars toward supporting these groups in invaluable.

So, just a few suggestions. Some breeders also will take a few rescues, so if you can find a few in your area, go with them if they support a specific rescue group. I know little about Canada aside from the great fishing (Lac Suel), but if there is a good Humane Society in your area that places dogs with rescue groups, they will be helpful.

If you wish to help and expand beyond Canada send me a personal E Mail. There are some great rescue groups in the Midwestern part of the US.

Ironically, my current rescue, a female GSD might be placed with a person from Ontario. Sheba is my rescue, and it will be very difficult for me to let her go.

The following is from the lady that runs my rescue group:

I have a woman from Canada that is interested in either Louie, Maia, Sheba or Angel. She was originally interested in Lugar but now may want a female. She is especially interested in Sheba.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM
dd
Crowned Member

I hope you will check out the adopter thoroughly and do a home visit. It seems unusual that an Ontario adopter would go all the way to Wisconsin for a dog. I have done long-distance adoption myself - because I fell in love with one specific dog. But the fact that your adopter has 4 possibles on her list seems odd. There are LOTS of Ontario sheps needing help.

dd

dd

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

My foster just went to Ontario 2 wks ago. Found him on Dogster .com and drove all the way to Wisconsin for the pick up.

Human owner to:
Prinz-Gsd -RIP 8/3/12 Never long enough....
Ava-Rescue
Echo-Rescue GSD/Husky
Barnaby-Holland Lop

Maureen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Elite Member

Re: How to distinguish reputable rescue's from oth

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SaphireWould it be fair to say that most rescue groups are dependent on good quality foster homes?

Would breeding dogs within the rescue (not rescue dogs themselves but not dogs with any titles either) be a red flag or the norm for someone serious about rescue?
Cathy
Most rescues have a number of foster homes....some with people running the rescue and in key situations, but some who only foster. If you have breeding dogs and would like to foster, I'd suggest that you contact your local group and volunteer in some other capacity. See if they do events you could attend. Or if you can find another way to give time to the rescue: write a newsletter, take photos, transport, do home visits, hold a bake sale...whatever your strength is.

Once the rescue gets to know you, then they would be more likely to place a foster dog with you. We don't necessarily rule out people with breeding dogs, though any foster placed there would be neutered / spayed.

Most rescues have certain rules, and they are there to protect the dogs, fosters, or adopters. But once they know a person, they can feel more comfortable about bending rules.

Chris

Chris & the 6-pack
Akir, Yane, Amber, Belanna, Red & Simba
V Ylsa v. Fleisherheim, Sch 2 - My Firecracker - 7/4/94-11/1/08
Kelly GSRNE #102 March 1997-March 2009
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How to distinguish reputable rescue's from oth

Pit Bull Rescue Code of Ethics:
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/coe.cfm

How do you/we compare?

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:15 PM

There definitely are. A few euthanized recently as I was unable to find foster homes for them fast enough.

Thanks duenorth and Tina and Dave. The website is http://www.gsrt.net

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dd There are LOTS of Ontario sheps needing help.

dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page