I need help rehoming my dog (Southeast Texas) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 374Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I need help rehoming my dog (Southeast Texas)

I need to rehome my dog Lobo. I am moving and there is just no way that I can take my dog with me. He is a High Content German Shepherd Mix who's 4 Years Old.

My dog is friendly with people but has had some aggression issues with dogs, particularly large male inact dogs. A lot of it has been poor handling by me but I really need to find him a home.

I need to find a rescue preferrably in Southeast Texas.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

You've been around long enough here to know how some rescues generally feel about taking on aggressive dogs, so I think you need to be very realistic about what you're asking. Dog-aggression prevents many dogs from entering foster-based rescues, as foster families nearly all have personal dogs that they want to keep safe. Many (but not all) breed rescues also try to avoid mixes, as they're harder to adopt out if the people who are coming to breed rescue to adopt are looking for purebred-looking dogs.

I'm sure that you're also aware that good rescues in your area are inundated with dogs -- Houston is a high-kill city, and last I heard, the GSRs there had more dogs needing help in shelters than available foster space. Many of those shelter dogs have no issues -- dog friendly, people friendly, no problems at all, and will be put down for lack of space. Dog-aggressive owner-surrendered dogs in my city get walked straight from the drop-off room to the euthanasia room -- they're not even put up for adoption.

If you contact rescues, your best chance is probably to (a) ensure your dog is fully up to date on vetting (and neutered), so you're not asking them to pay for neutering, and (b) offer to foster your own dog until a home is found by the rescue. Many of us don't like doing that though because at the last minute, people tend to get cold feet and decide to keep their dog, after we invest months finding a great home--this happens literally on adoption day when there's a lovely new family waiting to welcome the dog, and the owner suddenly realizes they can't bear to part with the dog after all. So don't be surprised if they decline your offer, and don't take it personally -- it's because some rescues have been burned by investing a lot of time into helping rehome dogs like this in the past.

Instead of burdening overtaxed rescues in your area, I recommend investing your own time to try to find a home through Rehome by Adoptapet:
rehome.adoptapet.com/r/86902
You can list the dog on the website free of charge, right next to the shelter and rescue pets. It generates an adoption app and adoption contract. (The rehoming fee gets donated, so that nobody can sell dogs on the site.)

Dogs that must live as only-dogs take longer to find homes for. Most people don't want to manage that. Try to plan to start looking for a new home a few months before your move, as this kind of dog (a mix with issues) is likely to take longer to place in a good home. It can be done -- emphasize his good points in his bio but be honest about his issues, and what kind of home is needed for him.
tc68, Shane'sDad, San and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 07-02-2019 at 07:50 PM.
post #3 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.I've always enjoyed your posts.Best of luck to you.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

This is sad. You made many posts about the joy, laughter and adventures that you had with your friend. His happiness and even his life depend on what you do now. Is there a way you can make other arrangements so that your life can accommodate him?
middleofnowhere, tc68 and sebrench like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Elite Member

I remember your posts as well. I'm sorry you have to rehome Lobo. I don't suppose a friend or family member would take him or keep him for you until your circumstances change? Wishing you the best.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #6 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:46 AM

If you can at all manage it, reconsider the rehoming. From what Magwart says it doesn't bode well for a dog-aggressive dog in that part of the country. As in, he'll be euthanized and terrified before that.

I will say if you wanted to drive to the northeast and put him in one of our local shelters, he'd be all set and good to go. We have a no kill shelter around here, and really great staff willing to work with a dog. So that is an option for you. If you were to do this, make sure he is HW negative and has a clear health check from the vet.

We actually import dogs from Texas/Georgia because there is a shortage of dogs.
post #7 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Master Member

Looks like from your IG page, you really love your dog too (and he's a handsome one). You also put in some time and effort to train him. We don't know what your reasons are, but like MineAreWorkingline asked, any other options that can help you keep your dog? Like, can a family member or friend take the dog? Or can you move to an apartment that accepts dogs? It would be a shame for your dog to have go through a "3rd chance." Anyway, good luck.
post #8 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the kind words but Iím currently desperate and cannot find a home for him.

The shelter he came from wonít take him and neither will many other shelter since heís not from the town that the shelter is located.

I am out of time and have no options, I donít know what to do.

Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
post #9 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Can you temporarily board him somewhere?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Can you temporarily board him somewhere?
Thatís gonna cost me a lot of money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in