I need help rehoming my dog (Southeast Texas) - Page 12 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 374Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
The dog is gone? Did you take pics of his new home? Do they have other animals
I suggest you go get him and take Jchrest and JonRob's offer.
If it's not too late.

Was he microchipped? just wondering. Would help identify him so you know what happened to him when his body is found. Just sayin

Me thinks...You either dumped this dog in a shelter, or handed it off to the first person who took interest. There are so many dogs going super cheap in these shelters, they could have had a dog anytime they wanted...but they were super excited to get yours. Sure.
Maybe the worst that will happen is he spends his life on a chain in the yard. Hopefully he has adequate shelter in the shade and water
Why don't you do a surprise house call. Today. See how he's living.
You made a rash decision despite all that was offered to you here...the BIG ONE to avoid was "Free To A Good Home"
And you were well aware of the offers prior to 9:48pm

SMH
Oh come on....please stop beating this kid up. Yup we will never know. BUT there are good people out there that DO help at the last minute in needy situations. We've had it happen here many times. So what? because we (the collective forum) don't have a connection to this family they are immediately to be distrusted?

Where do you think rescues came from in the first place. And lets just say that even not all rescues are honest and good. We've heard horror stories here on this board about some of those.

It so easy to keyboard judge and there is a lot of here in this thread. While we don't know anything about the people that took Lobo in, to immediately assume they are bad people is just unfounded and unfair to his original owner and the people offering up a home for this dog in need. The OP doesn't really know anything about us either other than what we post here so why should he trust any of us more than a friend's recommendation of a good home. A friend he actually knows and hopefully has reason to trust his word on the character of the people taking Lobo in.

Will we anonymous folks on a public forum ever know the truth, good or bad...nope!

Sometime we just have to believe and realize that good people do good things every single day for no reason other than they are good people. Can't for a minute we trust and believe that Lobo went to a good home and will live out a long happy life running and playing on acreage. Your soul will thank you for having a little faith in humanity and hopefully it will help you be a better person too. (" you" being anyone who chooses to believe in the good)

ETA: We told him to ask his friends and he did and found a home. What more did you want?

End of my PSA!

Ziva 03.07.2013

Last edited by Springbrz; 07-12-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:50 AM

He likely won’t come back to this thread, or this forum. He did have all of Lobo’s pictures on insta with a description that said he desperately needed to rehome him ASAP. Even if the farm thing is a lie, hopefully one of his insta followers offered to home the dog. I’ll let myself believe that, because if someone is following a dog, they are generally dog lovers. And it will help me sleep at night not thinking the worst.

OP, if you do come back, and the home didn’t work out for any reason, my offer still stands.
Springbrz, Sabis mom and cvamoca like this.
post #113 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

Two issues here:

There are people who will not understand if the OP manages to keep his dog and pass up some other things.
There are people who will not understand if the OP gives up his dog. (that's us for the most part)

Then as far as the right home...
I've been on these boards forever. I've "seen" a lot of ugly. As in transporter stealing the dog, as in dogs adopted via the board (multiple dogs by one person with similar fates) dying within a short time of adoption, and other crapolla. How are these offers more reliable than a private placement? Can he do a home visit to someone in Arizona? Few of us really know one another. We are an internet community. With one possible exception who doesn't visit the board often, none of you have been to my house. I'm not saying these offers are not legit --- I'm just saying we aren't exactly vetted either.

Bottom line - I hope Mr. Lobo fares well.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 07-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 PM

I completely agree with all of the above. I mean, I know me, and I know what I can offer, and have in the past, but no one else but family, friends, and shelters know I put everything into my personal dogs, and my foster/rescue dogs. But you’re right, I could be a creepy serial killer that likes to torture dogs as a side hobby. Not the case, but I’m sure you get my meaning.

I’d be happy to post videos if someone could tell me how to upload to YouTube, and I can do a tour of my house, yard, pool, doggie area with a large A/C dog house. I can show videos of training sessions with my three. I can show you my husky running the agility course in our back yard, and I could provide my vets information, they know how dedicated I am.

But I 100% understand how you feel.
post #115 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:21 PM

I live where there is very much a homeless pet shortage (for adoptions) which is wonderful, so I don't see the things others might. However, it sounds like Lobo most likely has a good home and I truly hope it all works out for him.

As for the OP giving him up, eh, I'd probably be in a different and better job and financial situation had I rehomed my dog when I was 21. I had an offer for a graduate assistantship (doctorate track) studying gibbons in Thailand. Would have been quite the different life. Better? Don't know. Do I regret it? NO! He was my heart dog and I never regret a moment I spent with him. BUT- had I been able to find him the perfect home, it would have been a better "life choice" for me, the human, so I'm not going to judge the OP as long as Lobo is happy and well cared for.
post #116 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

Karat my first gsd - the owners had to rehome due to moving financial and life changes. What we paid Karat-a well trained protection was quite a bargain back then. The previous owners visited my home to check on how Karat was doing a few times every few weeks. It was confusing for the dog but i was glad to see they cared enough to go through that small heart break to see how he was doing. Their last visit Karat hardly acknowledged them and it was what I assume they were looking for as the visits stopped. It is worth those extra steps to make sure the dog settles in and is truly happy.
Shane'sDad, GatorBytes and cvamoca like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #117 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
I completely agree with all of the above. I mean, I know me, and I know what I can offer, and have in the past, but no one else but family, friends, and shelters know I put everything into my personal dogs, and my foster/rescue dogs. But you’re right, I could be a creepy serial killer that likes to torture dogs as a side hobby. Not the case, but I’m sure you get my meaning.

I’d be happy to post videos if someone could tell me how to upload to YouTube, and I can do a tour of my house, yard, pool, doggie area with a large A/C dog house. I can show videos of training sessions with my three. I can show you my husky running the agility course in our back yard, and I could provide my vets information, they know how dedicated I am.

But I 100% understand how you feel.
I could be transported to your house, and would happily stay in the large A/C dog house. And then, Ima go visit middleofnowhere. Shhhh! Don't tell her.
dogma13 and cvamoca like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #118 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Karat my first gsd - the owners had to rehome due to moving financial and life changes. What we paid Karat-a well trained protection was quite a bargain back then. The previous owners visited my home to check on how Karat was doing a few times every few weeks. It was confusing for the dog but i was glad to see they cared enough to go through that small heart break to see how he was doing. Their last visit Karat hardly acknowledged them and it was what I assume they were looking for as the visits stopped. It is worth those extra steps to make sure the dog settles in and is truly happy.
I adopted Gator w/the prior owner never seeing my place. I was in an apt. I told her he was for my Dad. He was too much and my Dad too old. I kept him for a week with the intention to return.
Instead I kept him and moved for him.

I sent emails to her with updated pics of our adventures in summer, winter, fall...I always bought a number candle for his birthday, put it in a ball of canned tripe as a cake, lit it took a pic of him with it. Every year I sent the b-day pic to her. I had contacted her as temp foster when I was homeless. She didn't reply. So I figured, oh well maybe her email changed. I didn't contact again when I moved where I am now, for 2.5 yrs
When G passed away. I sent her the update that I had in fact got him back that he was with me, and that he had passed away. I sent her pics of his 9, 10 and 11 b-day.
She DID reply. She was happy that he lived out his life with me. She still referred to him as her special little pup. This was 10.5 yrs later. She didn't want to give him up
I think she really appreciated random updates
cvamoca likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #119 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post

I adopted Gator w/the prior owner never seeing my place. I was in an apt. I told her he was for my Dad. He was too much and my Dad too old. I kept him for a week with the intention to return.
Instead I kept him and moved for him.

I sent emails to her with updated pics of our adventures in summer, winter, fall...I always bought a number candle for his birthday, put it in a ball of canned tripe as a cake, lit it took a pic of him with it. Every year I sent the b-day pic to her. I had contacted her as temp foster when I was homeless. She didn't reply. So I figured, oh well maybe her email changed. I didn't contact again when I moved where I am now, for 2.5 yrs
When G passed away. I sent her the update that I had in fact got him back that he was with me, and that he had passed away. I sent her pics of his 9, 10 and 11 b-day.
She DID reply. She was happy that he lived out his life with me. She still referred to him as her special little pup. This was 10.5 yrs later. She didn't want to give him up
I think she really appreciated random updates
For me, that story was rather heartwarming. I’m glad you made the choice to send updates to the past owner as he aged. I’d do anything to see my old malinois, at least photos or hear how she is once in awhile. It’d mean the world, because she was my world at the time. and I’m sure it did as well to the past owner! I’m glad you stuck out with the pup as well 🙂
GatorBytes and cvamoca like this.
post #120 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

There is a lot of good advice in this thread for the next one who needs to give up a dog. Also, to send people to when a student wants to adopt or buy a dog. While I have strong feelings about the situation, he found a solution. Hopefully the dog will be happy and thrive in the new home. When I was a young adult and moving, one of my relatives had to rehome a middle aged shepherd. It was an impossible situation and no one else could take the dog. They were lucky to find an excellent home and it worked out well. We tend to put ourselves into advice when someone asks for it, but in the end it’s not our decision.
Springbrz and cvamoca like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in