Typical for rescues to want dogs already in your household speutered? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Typical for rescues to want dogs already in your household speutered?

So in looking to get back to being a two-dog household again, I was considering rescuing.

Naturally dogs coming to you from a rescue are altered. I get it. I too am appalled by all the folks on Craigslist who pass around intact dogs and consign the animal to being a puppy factory if they even remotely resemble being purebred.

But I was just shot down by a rescue because my GSD (coming up on two years old in March) is not neutered. I do not have plans to neuter not do I have plans to breed. He isn't broken, so why fix. No joke, they hypothesized to me that an unplanned breeding could happen at the dog park or while I have my dog out in public with me and thus contribute to the pet overpopulation issue. I am sorry, this is funny to me.

So my simple question is - is this a common policy? Am I just frustrating myself and wasting time in seeking to work thru rescues? Reading around on various rescue websites I have only seen ONE rescue out of 7 sites polled that comes right out and says this is a deal breaker - the others are just pointing you at the application which has questions about the WHY of your current dogs not being speutered.

I have cats and I have this dork of a GSD so a situation where the dog has been fostered and their tendencies are better known is going to be more successful versus heading to the pound. I am also limited because I can admit to being a bit of a breed snob - I tend to limit to a few molosser breeds. Yes, I know I am a horrible person for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Yes It's common. They seem to think it's a sign of responsible pet ownership. Some won't let you foster if your dogs aren't fixed either.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Elite Member

First I have heard of this. They are trying to demand you see things their way and bend to their will...Don't do it. What's next...what food to feed, how many walks you go on, what flee and tick med to use, etc.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

Well “he’s not broken so why fix him” probably isn’t going to go over well on an app, lol, although I know what you mean
I have only volunteered for 3 rescues, all in the same area, 2 different breeds - I’ve placed dogs in homes with intact dogs (all males, although not consciously intentional) with no problems. All were viewed on a case by case basis. Admittedly, the reasoning was for sport/show, or medical reasoning..... but none the less, it happened, and with solid reasoning - I don’t think you’re wasting your time.

Shelter direct is certainly an easier route and for what it’s worth, of all my rescued GSDs, the only one that was fostered (with a cat), remains the only one that ultimately turned out not to be cat-friendly.

ETA: talking to a friend that’s here... she said it tends to be more common in certain or all-breed rescues.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 01-01-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

This is nothing new. I looked at adopting many years ago, and that was one of the oh so many strikes against me. Kicker was that the intact male dog was not my dog although it lived in the same household and I had no say so or control over what happened with that dog.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

I think some rescues can be borderline hoarders- not all but it can sure look like it to me. I also think sure it is very easy to become close minded when everything they see but this is a sad thing. . We always enjoy watching Amanda to the rescue at the same time loving my breeders. I know of two homes where pets from two different rescues could have incredible homes and tons of love but denied. one person had a toddler and the rescue would not adopt them out a kitten and one person had no fence. If these people lied and said they had a fence and no toddler it would amounted to very lucky animals. It made no sense and puzzling. Having no fence - depending on the breed- can mean an improved effort to do something with the dog and not all toddlers are unsupervised monsters. I adopted a guinea pig at a rescue it took 7 days for me to get clear to get this guinea pig with all different kinds of references. I think I called them every other day. When asked if I my pets where neutered I went on a rant which they seem to not disagree about keeping dogs intact or not mattered because I was bringing home guinea pigs. I’m not bashing rescues and I am very greatful for the reputable rescues out there I just see some gaps with regards to mistrust in people based on what they have to encounter.
car2ner likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I had a 12 year old intact male Whippet and the GSD rescue refused to consider me adopting a spayed female GSD! So I went to a breeder who allows me to make my own decisions. It is easier to foster a human child than a dog in our area.
car2ner and CometDog like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:47 PM

After my GSD, Becca, passed on 8-31-18, I took a look online at shelters in my area of CA. I didn't see any GSD's at that point in time. There may have been some after all the CA fires, but I already purchased a puppy from a breeder at that point. I think that rescues that focus on a certain breed, tend to scoop up a particular breed from their local shelters.

I didn't get a dog from a GSD rescue, because of the scrutiny and degree of vetting involved. I understand the need to find a good home for a dog, with a responsible owner. I, also, feel that it can seem like it might be easier to adopt a child. I guess I wasn't up the the scrutiny at the time, so I purchased from a breeder.

Rescues likely prevent some adoptions that shouldn't happen. I wonder, however, about how many people would have been great pet parents, if they weren't denied an adoption or scared away.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:10 PM

I looked into rescue several years ago, and yes, they would not allow anyone with an intact dog to adopt.

I tried to ask about a particular dog that was on their website, but the person I called refused to answer even the simplest question, as in "Is that dog still available?" until I filled out the adoption application and sent them a non-refundable $20 along with the application. One question would cost me $20? Needless to say, I didn't pursue that dog.

That experience really turned me off and I've found my dogs elsewhere. It's really unfortunate since there are many dogs that would get great homes if not for some of those rules that I consider totally unreasonable.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure the stringent vetting mentality helps feed the BYB pet market. How many folks set their morals aside when they realize the breed specific rescues want to charge $500 and scrutinize the **** out of them before summarily rejecting - all for an animal that probably originated from a BYB and they are going to be as invested in a genetic crap shoot as if they cut out the middleman and go BYB shopping themselves. Sad panda. *gets off of soap box*

I have had BYB dogs before I realized the ramifications. I am not without sin. Guess I will have to seek atonement other than thru adoption. I don't think I will be donating to this particular rescue and feeding the God complex. Sadly, there is no other rescue in AZ for the breed I am looking at, and they do have relationships with the shelters for first dibs on the breed as it comes thru.

@Jenny720 - Dude! Insane guinea pig screening.

Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page