Typical for rescues to want dogs already in your household speutered? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

Either rescuing is for you, or it’s not. It’s that simple.
Just as the scrutiny of some rescues is a turn off... so is the $2500+ price tag of breeders, to some. Both send folks seeking out byb to some degree. Both are merely doing what they can to support the breed and recoup costs.

The blame game and excuses get old. Acquire your dog where you see fit.

Rescues still get adopters and breeders still get buyers. There are bad rescues that ruin it for others and bad breeders that ruin it for others.

People are regularly encouraged to do their research, contact breeders, visit clubs and trials.... get involved. If the same we’re encouraged of the rescue process - it could improve that relationship and allow you to see various sides.

For everyone with a toddler and 5ft fence that gets offended because of the rejection... there are a handful of rescues that have hopped fences and 100+ applications requesting a dog that is perfect around toddlers. I agree, a case by case approach is best (and personally that’s my experience with the rescues I’ve been connected to).... but on volunteer time and donated dollars - sometimes they just have to come up with a generalized policy and stick to it.

At different times, I fostered for rescues, did home visits, walked dogs, helped at adoption events, etc - when it came time to adopt my dogs.... I was granted a simple and streamlined process that allowed me to acquire Gia while I was a freelance 18yr old living in a studio apartment..... or paying a mere $32 for Tilden because that was the rescues rate to cover his shots and neuter. No scrutiny. No high fees. I had been vetted through my time and dedication.

Just another perspective.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 01-01-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish View Post
Pretty sure the stringent vetting mentality helps feed the BYB pet market. How many folks set their morals aside when they realize the breed specific rescues want to charge $500 and scrutinize the **** out of them before summarily rejecting - all for an animal that probably originated from a BYB and they are going to be as invested in a genetic crap shoot as if they cut out the middleman and go BYB shopping themselves. Sad panda. *gets off of soap box*

I have had BYB dogs before I realized the ramifications. I am not without sin. Guess I will have to seek atonement other than thru adoption. I don't think I will be donating to this particular rescue and feeding the God complex. Sadly, there is no other rescue in AZ for the breed I am looking at, and they do have relationships with the shelters for first dibs on the breed as it comes thru.

@Jenny720 - Dude! Insane guinea pig screening.
What breed are you looking at?

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I'll PM you, @eddie1976E to avoid outing the rescue. =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Aly
Master Member

On the one occasion when I approached a rescue group, I ran into the same problem. I'd just lost my male IW, and my unspayed female was pining mightily. Breeder didn't have a litter planned for that year, so it would have been close to an 18 month wait. So, I briefly listened to some friends and reached out to a local rescue. My goal was to find a youngish dog or puppy (of any breed or mix) whose temperament and build would be a good fit.

Found one at a local rescue. Filled out the application (including references).... and suddenly ran head on into their "policy" not to adopt (hate that word) to a family that had an unneutered dog on the premises. If I was willing to spay my female, they'd be willing to let me have the pup. Un huh. I pointed out two issues: First, nowhere on their website or application was the policy either implied or spelled out. So, did they have it in writing anywhere? Umm, no. Well, that being the case, why was I being held to a policy that wasn't documented anywhere?

The second issue that I pointed out was that I had a longstanding relationship with the breeder from whom I'd purchased my female IW. (Ironically, the breeder had given me a glowing, written recommendation). I also pointed out that the female was show quality, had been shown and that I'd agreed, in writing, with the breeder not to spay the female unless there were pressing health concerns. I also pointed out that were I to spay the dog, I would be unable to show her per my agreement with the breeder. I also asked them to consider the implications of my willingness to violate a signed agreement (with the breeder) in order to comply with an undocumented policy that they claimed to have. If I was willing to do how could they trust that I would provide even minimal care to their dog? I certainly wouldn't trust them were the roles reversed. Finally, I pointed out that, unless they fervently believed in immaculate conception, there would be no 'accidents;' their pup was already neutered.

The sheer irrationality of the whole exchange annoyed me so much that I promptly withdrew my application and left. Later, I found a scruffy, well-built puppy at the local shelter who adored my female (as she adored him).

A final note. The dog that I was initially interested in stayed at the rescue facility for another 9 months before he was removed from their adoptions page...

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM

I looked into AZ GSD rescues a while back and had an experience similar to what @Hellish described. No intact dogs in the home. Lots of other requirements as well, but that one was the deal-breaker.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM

If you had the time, I'd take a three day tour of southern shelters, incorporate it into a vacation. Unless you are looking for a really rare breed, you are likely to find a nice "pet" quality pooch looking for a family. Go directly to the shelter, and leave the rescues out of it. You'll have to be tough and screen carefully (that is hard) but you are highly likely to find what you are looking for in a kill municipal/county shelter in the right locations in the US. Most shelters will require the dog is sterilized prior to adoption, but won't care about the status of other dogs in your home.

I've never adopted from a rescue, but I have adopted from shelters and I've also adopted strays. All my shelter dogs, and strays, have been incredible pets and companions, no health or behavioral issues, and lived to healthy old age. I did chose the dog very carefully.

I bought my last two dogs from breeders, because I wanted something specific (working/sport). But I would not hesitate to take a road trip and adopt a good pet from a shelter.

As a general rule, I do not like "rescues" and find that many of the people involved in animal rescue have hoarding tendencies, have borderline (or worse) mental health, don't understand dog and especially dog breed behavior, push spay-neuter hard but don't screen for other communicable diseases which they transport all over the country (sometimes all over the world), and can even be corrupt in their finances. Some rescues even buy small breed (or other desirable) pups from actual puppy mills, then re-sell with a sob story for even more. Thus, they are helping to keep actual puppy mills in business, and even marketing their product for them.

There are also wonderful breed-specific rescues that do a lot of good, but chose carefully.

Turning a great home down because another dog in the household is intact, I think they are using that more as a metric of the quality of the potential new home, than because they are concerned about actual breeding. It's a poor metric, however, and should be more of a case-by-case decision.
wolfy dog and gsdoglife like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
A final note. The dog that I was initially interested in stayed at the rescue facility for another 9 months before he was removed from their adoptions page...
This is so sad. But we can hope that the foster environment was at least enriching and loving during.

I see some recommendations for shelter dogs. I feel like I need to steer clear of that avenue for the safety of my rescued fur babies already in my home (3 black cats). I was hoping that thru a rescue that someone who was fostering could give info on temperament and drives and of course arrange meet and greets. I don't want to be the person who goes to the shelter and then sends the animal back thru the shelter for a second deadly pass if the prey drive is unmanageable. It feels like roulette to me.

Alright, so I am gleaning that unaltered animals in the home is a typical sticking point with rescues, and that rescues evaluating on a more individual basis is atypical. Thank you community!

Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
This is so sad. But we can hope that the foster environment was at least enriching and loving during.
One would hope so, but the available evidence just isn't there. This particular (well-funded) rescue had its own, "state of the art" facility. Admittedly beautiful enclosures for each animal, but they were still cages. I'd call every so often, because I was curious to see what happened with the dog. He was available for adoption for 9 months, and then suddenly, he "wasn't available." When I called the last time, staff couldn't/wouldn't say why (i.e., whether he'd found a home) just that he "wasn't available." I wouldn't be surprised to find that they'd moved him on (perhaps out of state) to make room for another dog. It was a no kill facility, so there's that...

Sometimes you just get lucky, though. What I ended up with was a charming, bold and highly intelligent outsized terrier mix (shelter said GSD mix, but, aside from his personality, I never thought so). At 2+ months, he came with a sterling character, a fierce sense of what was right/fair and what was not, and the grit to back it up. IOW, he was a biter; it was never random and proved to be manageable, but it was always there. We had 10+ wonderful years with my "fuzzy judge," until we lost him suddenly to hermangio. I was very lucky to find him and miss him deeply to this day.

Last edited by Aly; 01-03-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typos
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I see some recommendations for shelter dogs. I feel like I need to steer clear of that avenue for the safety of my rescued fur babies already in my home (3 black cats). I was hoping that thru a rescue that someone who was fostering could give info on temperament and drives and of course arrange meet and greets. I don't want to be the person who goes to the shelter and then sends the animal back thru the shelter for a second deadly pass if the prey drive is unmanageable. It feels like roulette to me.

Alright, so I am gleaning that unaltered animals in the home is a typical sticking point with rescues, and that rescues evaluating on a more individual basis is atypical. Thank you community!

I would ask if you could take the dog into the cat room to see how s/he handles cats - call so you don't have to go there and feel bad about leaving without a dog (I'd come home with like 6 cats ).
Some shelters even test for this prior to putting the dog up for adoption.
When I was younger we were about to adopt a husky mix through a rescue but we stopped because as we were waiting for the paperwork he had WAY too much interest in the cats housed across the room. Even though they said he was good with cats, having just went through extensive training with our other dog to not hurt the cats, we didn't want to go through that again (or I didn't). We ended up with a GSD mix from the city shelter who didn't mind cats.
Aly and car2ner like this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page