Nervous to adopt adult - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 PM
Master Member

I agree with Magwart here. With your situation, it will be a smarter move if you adopt from a reputable rescue. Some cities have GSD-only rescue, like here for example in LA we have Westside GSD Rescue. I've heard really good things about it. I went with a puppy because at that time I just recently moved to the states and didn't know much about the rescue. Puppies are a LOT on your plate let me tell you. They have to go every 2-3 hours, they cry, they get diarrhea, and training has to be consistent. I only got a puppy (7 1/2 weeks) because I was a student and was only out 12 hours a week. So I dedicated my time to my puppy pretty much 24/7 (I still do). Adopting an adult means you don't have to basic train him, his personality will most likely be already established, AND... They can hold their bladder! Trust me, potty issues will ruin your life. You have no idea how sucky it is to wake up at 7am, having to go to class at 8am and finding the puppy in a crate along with his stools and pee. And coming home to such things. I'd say get an adult from a reputable rescue. Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 AM

My first GSD was a young adult female, picked up off the streets of Boston by animal control. I saw her by lucky accident. She was picked up on a Saturday when the shelter was closed, so they parked her upstairs in our vet clinic until Monday. She was a bicolor GSD maybe 1, 1.5 yrs old, weighing 29 lbs and suffering from mange and a variety of parasites. She was too skinny and ugly to be adoptable, and would be euthanized on Monday. I couldn’t bear it that she’d be killed for being skinny and sick, so I adopted her as soon as the shelter opened. Everyone I worked with thought I was crazy, but all she needed was food, basic vet care for the parasites, and a safe home. Within a few months she was the prettiest little girl, 53 lbs of love and fun. She was house-broken in 3 days, learned in 1 go to Be Nice on cue when taking a treat, and soon she responded to basic commands and I had enough control of her to go anywhere on a leash. She had her quirks, but she was a loving and fiercely loyal companion for 13.5 years and I miss her still all these years later.

So yes, a rescue can bond with you, and be every bit as loyal and loving and trainable as a puppy you raise.
misfits, Aly, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

My experiences are that the dogs in shelters and rescues are probably OK but the rescues are so picky that I resorted to getting my dogs from a breeder. I also prefer to find my own strays actually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:42 AM
Knighted Member

So, I'm curious, @Nmc2489 did you decide? Did you get a puppy or an older dog, or neither? Lots of good people here sharing their experiences and thoughts...what did you do with that?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:12 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau's Mom View Post
My first GSD was a young adult female, picked up off the streets of Boston by animal control. I saw her by lucky accident. She was picked up on a Saturday when the shelter was closed, so they parked her upstairs in our vet clinic until Monday. She was a bicolor GSD maybe 1, 1.5 yrs old, weighing 29 lbs and suffering from mange and a variety of parasites. She was too skinny and ugly to be adoptable, and would be euthanized on Monday. I couldn’t bear it that she’d be killed for being skinny and sick, so I adopted her as soon as the shelter opened. Everyone I worked with thought I was crazy, but all she needed was food, basic vet care for the parasites, and a safe home. Within a few months she was the prettiest little girl, 53 lbs of love and fun. She was house-broken in 3 days, learned in 1 go to Be Nice on cue when taking a treat, and soon she responded to basic commands and I had enough control of her to go anywhere on a leash. She had her quirks, but she was a loving and fiercely loyal companion for 13.5 years and I miss her still all these years later.

So yes, a rescue can bond with you, and be every bit as loyal and loving and trainable as a puppy you raise.
I love this!
Sabis mom likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Knighted Member

It strikes me that I never did say what I started out to say. I had my first dog for about 8 years and had him put to sleep at almost 14 because he was very frail, falling, arthritic and becoming incontinent. My second dog was mine for 5 years and I had him put to sleep at around 7 because of metastatic cancer. The third dog that I have now is three years old and came to live with me about 3 months ago. All three of them were completely trustworthy with people of all ages. A good part of that was because I mostly dealt with reputable people who told me the truth about their dogs, another part was luck and another part was that I went looking specifically for nice dogs. I made it clear from the start that I had young neighbor children coming in my yard to mow the grass, etc. and that I did not want and would not tolerate a dog who was a danger to them. Those dogs slept in bed with me every night and often had their big teeth inches away from my face and the worst thing that ever happened was when I was involved in a tug of war with one of my shepherds (over I downspout he had grabbed), he jerked so hard that I broke a finger,

I loved them all dearly and they loved me. It broke my heart every time one of them died.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM

The work our first GSD, rescued 1.5 year old, needed was so much that I knew I couldn't handle a puppy alone, working full time. I adopted a 7 year old GSD and he is AWESOME!
PRoberts likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

OP, would you really want to miss out on this?
(google youtube German Shepherd puppy tilts head).

I love puppies- the magic, the relationship, the work. Heck, I would change my job to be able to raise a puppy. I'd get some assistance and have someone come over and potty the puppy while I was at work if need be.

I've gotten dogs as adults and dogs as puppies. I'll take puppies any day.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 06-20-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page