Purchasing Older Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 2 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By Stevenzachsmom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Purchasing Older Dog

I lost my pup much sooner than I would have ever expected. He was not even 6 years old. I am not sure yet what we plan to do, and we may even decide not to get another dog. But we had planned on having our guy at least another 4+ years, and we redid the interior of our house to be suitable for him. Since the house is already set up for a big dog, we might decide to get a young adult/middle age one.

One thing I am pretty sure about is that we won't get another puppy. We are not in a position right now to meet the housebreaking needs and do the training.

Has anyone had any luck with getting an older female that is retired from Breeding? How old are they typically when the breeders sell them? Do most of them adjust well to a new home?

That seems to me the best route for us. If we decided to do that I would contact my dog's breeder and see if she has any available for purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 10:55 AM
Crowned Member

A lot depends on how they were raised. Are they in a home or are they kenneled outside?
Lark likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I haven't contacted any breeders yet. I would want one that was at least used to being in the house. I keep mine in the house full time, other than playing outside and bike riding/walks.

I have a large crate for sleeping at night (so the cat can roam without fear), but other than that my dogs are loose in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

You could contact breeders, meet them and the dogs and see if one is available and you like him/her. But for sure I would meet the dog and breeder in person to avoid disappointments. How about a good rescue with the emphasis on 'good'.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

You might also look at senior dogs in breed rescue. They tend to come to us when owners die or go into nursing homes, and they're often used to a life as a beloved indoor companion -- I've known a few who walked into a foster home, stepped up onto the sofa, crossed their paws and seemed to say, "This is my usual spot." When they've been fostered with a family, you tend to get lots of useful information about personalities and quirks.

The reason I mention this option is that there are so few adopters willing to consider these older dogs in rescue. They tend to sit in foster homes a long time, even though they're often the best-behaved, easiest dogs in the rescue.
dogfaeries and wolfy dog like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

I know of a showline breeder in PA that has some females to place and possibly a young adult male.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

I can't offer anything about the breeder aspect. In 2000, I adopted a 2 year old GSD from the shelter. My youngest child was 2 and I did not have time for a puppy. 'Annie' was amazing. She was completely housebroken, non-destructive, and adored the kids. I would adopt another adult in a heartbeat. She lived to be 14.5 years old. Still miss my girl.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

I rescued an adult female gsd and was given an older dog by a breeder. It took the rescue a while to become comfortable-however she fit in really well and was an awesome dog. after she passed my friend who was a breeder offered me a choice of 2 of her older dogs. Anja was 2 when she came to live with me -she had been housebroken and did spend time in the house but loved being a full time house dog...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone. Right now my husband is not ready, so it will be awhile if ever. He is not sure he wants to go through the loss again, and I can't blame him. Ruki's death really broke our hearts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page