Worried - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

This happens to me from time to time with dogs in the rescue with old microchips. We register chips for adopters, so we try to handle all this and clear the chip so no one is burdened by worry that someone's going to want to take their dog back.

Most of the time, there's bad contact info on file (i.e., the chip company is unable to reach them: letters are returned, email bounces, and phone number is disconnected), or the chip was never registered. If they're reachable, they simply ignore the request because they don't want to be bothered about a dog they got rid of. Every once in a rare while someone expresses relief that the dog they once loved and couldn't care for made it out of the shelter alive and into rescue to have a chance at a happy life again -- those are nice calls because then we can get the previous vet records and find out some backstory.

The typical experience for me is that a week later, the chip company transfers the record over because the prior owner ignored their messages.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 03-14-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies.

I have emailed the microchip company stating my concerns and am currently waiting for them to reply to me. I forgot to mention that my boy was approx 1 year old when I got him (according to the person I got him from) - so being chipped by a breeder sounds like a possibility. I spent much of last night cuddling him (and my other pup) telling them that nobody 's going to take him from me - like I was waiting for him to talk back lol.

I will update when I get a reply from the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page